Cricket Thread

Something that's always puzzled me in the area of hazy memories. I have a clear (not hazy) memory of seeing Lancashire play in that league at Buxton. Caught the train out on the Sunday to see it (and it was considerably easier for me from Hazel Grove than going in to Old Trafford. I also remember how pretty the ground was. And Clive Lloyd at (I think) cover point doing a ridiculous run-out, moving like a panther to pick up the ball and wreck the stumps in one fluid movement. The batters were trying to steal a single. Unwisely.
How is that possible, though? Unless they were playing Derbyshire. Were Derbyshire in that league, though?
Re. "pretty grounds" for Buxton I'll trade and maybe raise you Horsham, Sussex used to play Sunday JPL matches there.
Ah, yes, Clive Lloyd prowling the covers "like a panther", perfect description! While we're on hazy memories, what about South Africa's Colin Bland as an even better fielder? (Just looked him up and Wiki says he was one of only two Wisden Cricketers of the Year whose picture in that annual shows him fielding, rather than batting or bowling.)

And as a completely random thought from the hazy past my favourite cricketer of all time remains NZ's Richard Hadlee. Perhaps even greater than Jack Simmons. ;-)

Typical county cricketer (i.e. a few years as a professional and non-test playing) will be on 30-50k/year. Some of that is match fee and performance bonuses.

As for the 'poor old other counties', they struggle along until Surrey (and similar) take their best players. Derbyshire are pretty much always the poorest, I think.
Having said that Middlesex and Yorkshire are in the second division this season
Middlesex are an interesting county. They don’t get much revenue from Lords as that goes to MCC.

They made more money from their home T20 games played at Chelmsford than they did from their games at Lords.

Typical county cricketer (i.e. a few years as a professional and non-test playing) will be on 30-50k/year. Some of that is match fee and performance bonuses.

As for the 'poor old other counties', they struggle along until Surrey (and similar) take their best players. Derbyshire are pretty much always the poorest, I think.
Having said that Middlesex and Yorkshire are in the second division this season

Sorry, I know this thread is supposed to be about the Test (mainly), and the match is poised in an interesting way.

But I'm very, very out of touch with county cricket, and it's very hard to follow from abroad, unless you're hooked up to satellite tv (I'm not). Curious to know: what gives a county like Surrey its leverage?

Middlesex are an interesting county. They don’t get much revenue from Lords as that goes to MCC.

They made more money from their home T20 games played at Chelmsford than they did from their games at Lords.

Hadn't thought of the MCC factor - obviously there are a lot of weekends when Lords isn't available.

Sorry, I know this thread is supposed to be about the Test (mainly), and the match is poised in an interesting way.

But I'm very, very out of touch with county cricket, and it's very hard to follow from abroad, unless you're hooked up to satellite tv (I'm not). Curious to know: what gives a county like Surrey its leverage?
Lancashire's county matches are live on youtube, David Lloyd on commentary. Thank you to the Bluemooner who told me this a few weeks ago.

I would guess money mostly. One or two tests every year, very big London ground (which I think sells out for T20/sloggit), plus whatever they make from corporate work.
Very big membership (15-18k, I think).
It's really only kicked in from about 10 years ago, I expect there was a financial change that drove Surrey forward (T20 becoming the T20 Blast was 10 years ago, I don't know what it was like before that!).
Unlike the likes of Lancashire, I think Surrey have a guaranteed home test every year for a long time, which allows proper planning (Lancashire dropped out of bidding for Ashes tests as the numbers were too high).

The Hundred adds to it, as there are only 8 sides, and some are sort-of cross-county things. It was thought at the outset that it would cement the test counties at the top.

In the same way that counties with test grounds are ahead of non-test counties, Surrey are usually ahead of others.

Another 50-60 runs would be a real challenge to the Windies. Anything in the 375-400 range will not be an easy target, even on a relatively kind wicket.

We should have enough but we got to bowl well catch well because West India can bat through the tough times like the first innings

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.