Cricket Thread

In a way, but going to all 5 days would still cost a grand!

And if you have a couple of kids that want to go.....!

So, so sad. It's many years ago, now, but as both a schoolboy, and then a student, I would attend all five days of test matches at places like Lords and Headingley, against the Aussies, the Indians and others. Then I had to have a sandwich and a beer, say, regular cups of tea, etc. (Sometimes I think I'd take a packed lunch, to keep costs down). Can't remember how much it cost me, but the mere fact I was able to do it tells you how much inflation has made going to test cricket a rich man's game, basically (or somebody for whom cricket is so important that they're prepared to make pretty serious sacrifices elsewhere). Tell you one thing, though — it puts a certain perspective on season card prices for City, doesn't it?

So, so sad. It's many years ago, now, but as both a schoolboy, and then a student, I would attend all five days of test matches at places like Lords and Headingley, against the Aussies, the Indians and others. Then I had to have a sandwich and a beer, say, regular cups of tea, etc. Can't remember how much it cost me, but the mere fact I was able to do it tells you how much inflation has made going to test cricket a rich man's game, basically (or somebody for whom cricket is so important that they're prepared to make pretty serious sacrifices elsewhere). Tell you one thing, though — it puts a certain perspective on season card prices for City, doesn't it?
I await the input from those (and there's many of them) who were unhappy at the price rise on season cards!

I wonder how much Bollinger they sell on the Western Terrace, in the land that time forgot, on the Saturday in a test? Or the Hollies stand?
None by me, just lots of John Smiths on the WT in my student days.

We even had a tug of war with some South African fans with the boundary rope after the game.

Those were the days.

So, so sad. It's many years ago, now, but as both a schoolboy, and then a student, I would attend all five days of test matches at places like Lords and Headingley, against the Aussies, the Indians and others. Then I had to have a sandwich and a beer, say, regular cups of tea, etc. (Sometimes I think I'd take a packed lunch, to keep costs down). Can't remember how much it cost me, but the mere fact I was able to do it tells you how much inflation has made going to test cricket a rich man's game, basically (or somebody for whom cricket is so important that they're prepared to make pretty serious sacrifices elsewhere). Tell you one thing, though — it puts a certain perspective on season card prices for City, doesn't it?
It changed when there were more grounds bidding for tests than tests played in the summer.

The counties then had to auction for the games in sealed bids.

It changed when there were more grounds bidding for tests than tests played in the summer.

The counties then had to auction for the games in sealed bids.

Well, I confess I'm slightly puzzled. I don't remember there actually being tests anywhere other than the big six: Lords, Oval, Headingley, Edgbaston, Trent Bridge, Old Trafford. I went to all of them, except for Edgbaston, funnily enough (I think it's an age old and doubtless irrational prejudice I have against Birmingham).
Or are you saying we have more tests now? Perhaps you're right. There was only really a tour by one country in the summers, as I remember it. But then it was six grounds, and a five-test series, most of the time. So it fitted beautifully. And it was certainly affordable. Again, as for football matches, I don't ever remember getting a ticket in advance. I'd just rock up at the ground — as I did for football stadia — and just always get in.

(Arrghh! just had to edit in Old Trafford as one of the grounds. How could I have forgotten that?!)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.