Cricket Thread

Well, two more of them just got fed up. A grey and almost empty O.T. Lancs v Hants stirs dim memories of a packed ground on a hot day when Barry Richards and Gordon Greenidge came for a Gillette Cup match and Hampshire were all out for about 70 by early afternoon.
Good to get Vince early.

Root will be 34 in Dec. He still looks in top nick, but I would be surprised if he bats past 35yrs old?

I can't really see why he'd retire when he's the #1 test batsman in the world?

Plus he's about 3-4 years away from eclipsing Tendulkar's test run record, and if you look at everyone above him on the list, they all retired near 40.

I can't really see why he'd retire when he's the #1 test batsman in the world?

Plus he's about 3-4 years away from eclipsing Tendulkar's test run record, and if you look at everyone above him on the list, they all retired near 40.
40? Dont most batsmen retire at 33 to 35? Cook retired even younger didn't he?

40? Dont most batsmen retire at 33 to 35? Cook retired even younger didn't he?

Test retirement age of all batsmen to score over 10,000 runs -

Tendulkar 40
Ponting 38
Kallis 37
Dravid 39
Cook 33
Sangakkara 36
Root - TBD
Lara 37
Chanderpaul 41
Jayawardene 37
Border 38
Waguh 38
Gavaskar 37
Khan 39

Root doesn't play T20 really, no one plays much ODI anymore, so he's got a really good chance of staying at the top until he's in his late 30s if he wants to. He's getting about 800-1000 runs a year and he's about 100 runs behind Cook to be Englands best, 1000 runs behind Ponting in #2 and 3700 behind Tendulkar.

Tendulkar 40
Ponting 38
Kallis 37
Dravid 39
Cook 33
Sangakkara 36
Root - TBD
Lara 37
Chanderpaul 41
Jayawardene 37
Border 38
Waguh 38
Gavaskar 37
Khan 39

Root doesn't play T20 really, no one plays much ODI anymore, so he's got a really good chance of staying at the top until he's in his late 30s if he wants to. He's getting about 800-1000 runs a year and he's about 100 runs behind Cook to be Englands best, 1000 runs behind Ponting in #2 and 3700 behind Tendulkar.
256 behind Cook at the moment. Was just looking where he was in the order.

It’s an interesting list. Boycott hit more test 6s than VVS Laxman.

Tendulkar 40
Ponting 38
Kallis 37
Dravid 39
Cook 33
Sangakkara 36
Root - TBD
Lara 37
Chanderpaul 41
Jayawardene 37
Border 38
Waguh 38
Gavaskar 37
Khan 39
This got me to look up two of the greatest from when there was less cricket played. Don Bradman made about 7000 runs in Tests and Viv Richards 8000 or so.

England's batting lineup is not that far away from being really good. The middle order is excellent - Brook is going to be world class, Root has a few more years, Smith is already great for a 6.

If Crawley can keep averaging 40+ like he has done for the last 20 odd tests, England really just need Pope to wake up and deliver on his potential and the batting lineup is their strength. Duckett is never going to stand out but he works well with Crawley and is a steady run getter.

Biggest problem is Pope (averaging 2 a captain) and Stokes - he gets more single digit innings than 50s/100s - and will push Smith back down when he comes back.

Pope being captain has Made him a worse batsman he can't cope with all that comes with it! Noway he should be our captain once stokes steps down!

Pope being captain has Made him a worse batsman he can't cope with all that comes with it! Noway he should be our captain once stokes steps down!

I’m just not entirely convinced he’s got the game to be a world class batsman. He’s played almost 50 tests now and is averaging in the mid 30s. I want to believe but apart from one great innings a year he makes it hard to!

This got me to look up two of the greatest from when there was less cricket played. Don Bradman made about 7000 runs in Tests and Viv Richards 8000 or so.

Yeah the explosion of test cricket in the early 90s with Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe becoming test nations, South Africa back from apartheid and now the age of T20 means that this list will be forever dominated by batters from 1980-2030. Hard to see any of the new guys playing enough tests when you can make millions by playing a few T20 tournaments instead and have 75% of the year off.

Fortunately cricket is such a statistical sport we can always look at averages and strike rates and 200 other things to compare people between eras.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.