Criticism of Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankenstein - actually Jordan May be spot on. Frankenstein was the scientist with a brilliant mind who could create life from lots of disparate and unwanted parts. Presumably he means the monster but Frankenstein himself was supposed to be a leader in his field.
He has been calling us that every week for a couple of years now,go get him

I think MCFC do have a lot of dedicated staff who are committed and work hard. Many of these truly understand the club and it’s fans BUT I’m not entirely convinced everyone at the club recognises what makes MCFC special or our history. The narrative of failed 3rd tier club that was bought and found success - and is therefore being turned into a giant - totally downplays our history, heritage and individuality and helps those who want to ridicule us.

We need to boast of our history and achievements. We have so many records and stories to tell. Prior to 1998 MCFC had played more top flight games than MUFC (for example) - on its own it’s a so-what but used properly it is part of that story that says we WERE a major club that hit bad times in 80s and late 90s BUT that’s only a small part of our 125+ year story. Failure happens to all clubs at some point but genuine trophy success happens to a few - ours started in 1904 BEFORE most of our present day rivals. In the 1910s, 1920s, 1930s we created records and successes that many of those rivals have still not matched; the 49s/50s saw Trautmann - what a forgiving and wonderful set of fans achieved has to be remembered; in 1960s/70s we eclipsed most of our current rivals and also won a major UEFA trophy BEFORE LFC and Pep’s beloved Barca, yet we have ‘no European history’ until now (tell Book, Corrigan and Lee that!). I could go on but the point is it is time we boasted of our achievements. 39,000 is greater than the average attendance MUFC had for at least 55 seasons - again it means little on its own but wouldn’t it be great if stats and evidence were used when Pep’s asked a question.

We have so much we could boast about - genuine success and achievements over more than a century - yet the narrative is that we are a 3rd tier club who got lucky with plastic fans. We must stop this.

First paragraph deserves a round of applause.

What are we doing?

I think MCFC do have a lot of dedicated staff who are committed and work hard. Many of these truly understand the club and it’s fans BUT I’m not entirely convinced everyone at the club recognises what makes MCFC special or our history. The narrative of failed 3rd tier club that was bought and found success - and is therefore being turned into a giant - totally downplays our history, heritage and individuality and helps those who want to ridicule us.

We need to boast of our history and achievements. We have so many records and stories to tell. Prior to 1998 MCFC had played more top flight games than MUFC (for example) - on its own it’s a so-what but used properly it is part of that story that says we WERE a major club that hit bad times in 80s and late 90s BUT that’s only a small part of our 125+ year story. Failure happens to all clubs at some point but genuine trophy success happens to a few - ours started in 1904 BEFORE most of our present day rivals. In the 1910s, 1920s, 1930s we created records and successes that many of those rivals have still not matched; the 49s/50s saw Trautmann - what a forgiving and wonderful set of fans achieved has to be remembered; in 1960s/70s we eclipsed most of our current rivals and also won a major UEFA trophy BEFORE LFC and Pep’s beloved Barca, yet we have ‘no European history’ until now (tell Book, Corrigan and Lee that!). I could go on but the point is it is time we boasted of our achievements. 39,000 is greater than the average attendance MUFC had for at least 55 seasons - again it means little on its own but wouldn’t it be great if stats and evidence were used when Pep’s asked a question.

We have so much we could boast about - genuine success and achievements over more than a century - yet the narrative is that we are a 3rd tier club who got lucky with plastic fans. We must stop this.

Spot on Gary and the club need to employ the best PR team in the business, meet with someone like yourself and some long established fan groups and start getting this out there and come up with our own slogan. I had this out with a Liverpool fan last season after we beat them when he started spouting " You might have beat us but you'll never beat our history." I told him we won the fa cup and a European trophy before they did and have s long proud history. I conceded on trophies won they were ahead of us but that our trophy count and history started long before 2008. That took the wind out of his sails.

A huge problem we have is getting a fair crack of the whip from the hostile media who rarely give is any credit or even mention us unless it is a negative story. The BBC are one of the worst offenders. The club would be better off spending money infiltrating these scumbags at the top level to change that. Propaganda is a powerful tool and they have done a very good job in using it against us.

As for Pep he still hasn't got it, thinking it is all about the style of football instead of cold hard cash and the practicalities of life why some games don't sell out. Our hard core is working class Mancunian and all that comes with that. Self depreciating, sarcastic humour and not overly impressed with bullshit, hype and glitz. Karl Pilkington in an idiot abroad, although slightly over the top, is a good example. I would add stoic, quirky, loyal, easy going and slightly mad, we wouldn't have stuck around through all the dark years otherwise. One thing we won't stand for is being patronised, talked down to and unfairly criticised and that's the vibe that sometimes comes from the club and even at times Pep, that's why we are bristling at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.