Crystal Palace (a) pre-match thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, because of the threat of their overlap I can't see Sane starting this one at all.

I feel confident and hope the lads come out with an absolute rocket up their arse, also incredibly nervous about Sunday.

If Bernado is fit then there is probably little chance of Leroy starting. I'd prefer Leroy to play and Bernado in the middle but Pep seems to have decided against having our two best wingers hugging the touchline recently. I think the last time they started together was the Schalke home match. Please no Mahrez ahead of sane though if Bernado is still out. There is still a bit of a myth that Sane doesn't work hard for the team and it's bullshit. Mahrez hasn't got the legs to track back and is the only player in the squad who constantly ducks tackles.

Palace away used to make me nervous and for a long time City did not do well there. But i am confident about this one and expect at least a comfortable 2-0 win. I hope to see Sane and Foden both in from the start.

As I posted earlier:

“Now this is not going to be an easy match, and no messing, but I'm puzzled as to how Palace are being presented as some sort of ogre by some on here. Of top six clubs, they have beaten one, and one only, this season. Liverpool did the double over them; so did Spurs; so did Chelsea; they took a point off the rags, and were then beaten; they've taken a point off Arsenal so far. Not very terrifying, is it? Now I have no hesitation in saying that we are better than any of those teams, by a distance. The game at our place was a complete one-off, with Townsend scoring a goal the likes of which he had never scored before, not even in his dreams, and will never score again.”

I remember very clearly how worried we were in spring of 2014 (I was, too). We went there and Yaya did the business. Funnily enough, it was dippers against Chelsea as well, the same day. That was the day the title race turned — although the dippers didn't do themselves any favours with their comedy gold performance at Selhurst Park a bit later.

Was just thinking about that day in 2014 earlier. Was walking up the hill from Selhurst station to the ground when chatter about the "Slippy G" incident started to filter through. I think I watched the second half of that game on the semi-outdoor away concourse at SP, but definitely remember the "Steve Gerrard" song starting up almost immediately.
Hoping for more of the same (in reverse order) on Sunday, although I suspect we will have to score at least 2 as Milivojevic will get his usual penalty, unless Ederson is on his toes and saves it as per last season.

For me we need to score early
I don’t think they have the fight to comeback now they are safe
If we give them something to hold onto we are in trouble

It makes me laugh how history was rewritten reading the title race, Chelsea were very much in the driving seat and threw it away that year. Losing away at Palace, at home against Sunderland and drawing at Norwich at home too in the last 6 games.

Liverpool lost to Chelsea and drew at Palace in a futile attempt to score about 10 goals in the last 6.

Its strange how Palace have had a say in whos won the league a few times,
Whats the chances it could happen again on Sunday

Palace away can be a tricky game if they get a bit of momentum going. I always think that if we go two up there then we can see out the game fairly easily. Unfortunately we have developed a habit of trying to see out games from one up which is risky.

Agreed. Three of our four defeats this season were exactly that scenario, if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't do us good to score immediately. I was a bit worried about it against Brighton, as it happens. I expected us to push on to get another, and we didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.