Crystal Palace (H) - Post Match

We can’t win the league anyway so not that arsed
I think we just need to go big in cups and the league will just tick over
People slagging of stones etc
He along with others like mendy and Laporte need games before big cup games
You moan about pep but when he’s gone we’ll miss him big time
At this rate the dippers will win the league in March and will be able to concentrate on the FA and CL cups, meanwhile we'll be struggling to get 2nd and thereby qualify for automatic CL group stage qualification having to play full strength in every competition, meanwhile the dippers rest players for their league games

I am not sure Pep have any answers right now why we end up with results like the one yesterday. Our game is almost of the same level like the last season, but results are like the season 16/17. I suppose the team psychology plays a big part and other teams definitely changed or adjusted tactics. Apart from that Liverpool game, all losses and draws came against teams that defended not only deep, but also very narrow. So, now we need adjustments in our game-plan. I think John was spooked by the first Zaha incident and that was reason why he wasn't closer to Zaha; Mendy is getting back to his old self, his decision making and a ball control and passing is definitely improving; Raheem needs some serious benching. Coming back on the train I was thinking how uncannily similar were the last five minutes to hat Newcastle game.

In one post you state Pep has "credit in the bank for what he's done the last 3 seasons" but then go onto to say "Loyalty doesn't come into it I'm afraid". I completely disagree, he's earned that loyalty based on the 3 season, maybe 4 as we don't know how this season will play out.

I repeat what I said earlier, where were all the doubters when we hammered the Rags and Villa? Probably blowing smoke up Pep's arse...
There's no inconsistency between those two statements. If there's a fundamental issue leading to underachievement or underperformance and any organisation, not just a football club, feels that the manager is the problem, the best course of action is to sever the relationship and get someone new in, in order to freshen things up. Pep's earned time because of his achievements for us and for his previous clubs. I'm sure he'll see the next season out, then we'll see. If we struggle for top 4 next season then I think most would agree it will be time to look elsewhere. On the other hand, we may win the quadruple.

Let's also look at it another way. Let's assume Pep's says to the powers that be, "I'm definitely not staying beyond next season. But if you want a replacement then I'd recommend you appoint [insert name]." Let's speculate that the name is Pochettino. Now for all the idiots who don't bother to read things properly, I'll put it in capital letters. I'M NOT SAYING POCHETTINO IS A BETTER MANAGER THAN PEP. IT'S JUST AN ILLUSTRATION OF A POINT I'M TRYING TO MAKE. OK?

Pochettino is presumably available now, for next season, but might not be in 2021. So the board have to decide whether to approach him now, for him to take over next season and avoid the risk of losing out. So even if Pep is happy to see out his contract and we're happy for him to do so, it still might not be in our interest to let him do that depending on who his successor will be.

Last edited:
I think your long held opinion that Laporte will sort out most of our defensive problems isn’t realistic but we will find out soon enough.
Agreed, believing all our problems stems from Laporte being out is something I want to believe, but in my opinion it's way too simplistic. We have been way to easy to defend against way too often this season, Eric will help with passing through the lines but with Ferna there that has hardly been the problem. He will help us tremendously with his presence in the box and making decisions that a actual defender would make, on top of being a genuine world-class defender one-on-one, but he won't be able to suss everything out, and I might even fear for his confidence coming back and having to play himself back in form from a serious injury in the shambles our defence has been this season. Our primary system has been found out, and even if Eric's brilliance would fix it somewhat that still means the system is fundamentally flawed considering guys like Stones, Otamendi and Fernandinho(a lot of people are happy with him and he hasn't been terrible but not good enough imo) can't step in without making us a team that concede every time someone runs at us.

If our defence relies on one world-class CB only you have to change the system. A worry that he did that(also a lot later than he should have) and then were naive enough to revert back to the old one

Strange how many points we have lost this season from late goals and have not earned any in return? When did we last score in the 89th minute plus to earn a poin/win in the league? Contrast that with Liverpool, the gap may be 13/14 points or whatever it is but a hell of a lot of that gap has come from the points they have won with very late goals and the points we have dropped by conceding late on.
We were great at hanging on for wins in the last 2 seasons but that skill has deserted us this season.

Manchester City attempted 46 crosses from open play against Crystal Palace yesterday - the second-highest of Pep Guardiola’s reign, after the 57 crosses attempted against Southampton in November.

Playing the percentages...

Bernardo who'd been out of form, played a blinder against United, in a free role.
Drops him against Villa then brings him back on the wing in place of Mahrez who had a blinder against Villa.
It confuses us. I imagine it affects the players too.

Of course it confuses people but why do you expect to understand everything Pep does? Aside from the fact that he is just playing on a completely different level to most professionals let alone members of our fan base, he's the guy who sees everyone in training, has all the data and medical reports on them and has analysed in depth his opponents; added to which he has to try and keep his squad members feeling happy and involved.

He will make selection decisions that don't end up working out but he doesn't mess around with the team too much.

City should have won that game yesterday with the players and tactics Pep used. We had 72% possession, 25 shots (to their 5) and numerous other opportunities to create even more chances. We had the game won and then the players fucked up by not thinking clearly, which can happen when emotions are high and is why teams are often vulnerable just after they have scored. The players on the pitch should have known better and should have done better after taking the lead.

Momentary lapses cost us dear yesterday and trying to turn them into something else is typical Monday Morning Quarterback shit.

The team is not without its problems and it's really boring to repeat them but they are in short best summed up by Pep's reference to needing to be better in the boxes. Despite being the top scoring team and having the best goal scorer the Premier League has seen and the best chance creator, we are still need to be more clinical. At the other end, despite giving up the fewest chances, we need to defend better. The defending has become the bigger issue and I think it is largely a personnel one that is, amazingly, linked to losing two of the three best centre backs in the league at the same time whilst trying to bed in a new DM.

We have other "problems" but we always will have because perfection isn't possible in football; the great thing is though that we have manager who won't stop striving to achieve it. Other teams should have our problems!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.