Crystal Palace PL (H) Post match thread

What ?
Sane and Yaya were battered on here for being lazy at times. Tevez fucked off to Argentina to play golf . Dzeko and Nasir were targets of the boo boys at many times. Don’t get me started on the abuse Raz used to get .And Gundogan and Mahrez ? Are you pissed ? The two of them received loads of flak and people on here only realise their importance now they’ve upped sticks.
Doku 50 /50 ?
WTF does that actually mean ?
This. People are talking about Gundo as if he had been a popular player among fans and important play in the team. He was not until the last one year.

In the last 2 months we seem to have lost the 2 main features of our game play that set us apart and above all the other teams.
I) The ability to take away a game from the other side in the first 60/70 minutes, making the last 20 mins an irrelevance. Lost count of the amount of games where the last 20 mins have been a training exercise with odd goal thrown in.
ii) In tight games that ability, to close a game down, manage the opposition to ensure no chance was given - when City went 1 goal up no matter at what stage of the game I’d be confident we’d see through to the points - regrettably not anymore on current form.

I don’t buy the complacency theory, fatigue yes, injuries to key players as well, loosing Gundo most definitely (and Mahrez to a large extent also), some poor luck (Villa and Arsenal winners)are contributory factors to our new found ability of dropping points from winning positions.

Palace were spirited in defence, but woeful going forward but they possess the one attribute that we struggle to contain - pace. I don't think we played badly, we made enough chances for the game to be done at half time and at 2-0 it looked like Palace were happy to settle for that as a result, their first goal gave them an opportunity that their performance didn’t merit.

Never thought I’d say this but as this but as a ‘spectacle’ then it’s the Champions League every time, the deep lying ‘low block’ , lack of ambition of most Premier League teams and to a certain extent the application of VAR often make it a hard watch. In saying that, we need to play with more pace and purpose, take more risks in terms of passing than just keeping possession and find our finishing boots.

Can we do 4 in a row - yes - but we’ve had such a good run at-chasing teams down - that one year it won’t happen and maybe this is that year. Right now, top 4 and 2 trips to Wembley in late May / early June would be a incredible season.

No point calling out the players.

No point calling out Pep.

The club as a whole will find a way to fix the problems. When are the fans going to realise that we win & lose together? Or draw -:)

Pep did make changes today playing Foden as the ten and Rico beside Rodri. The comedown from the treble is real. The constant winning season after season to culminate in a treble is unheard of in modern football.

So now it’s time to reflect. Injuries have played a huge role again. The new players have been hit and miss and imo the team needed more changes. It’s far too early to say the transfers recently have been crap. The club will make mistakes. What needs to be happening now is that Txiki must target the top tier players. The squad is crying out for 1/2 world class players.

This season was always going to be tough.It’s is now a reality and going to be interesting to watch how we correct the blue ship.

What we witness last season was unbelievable. Once you reach the peak, they only way is down.
A lot of sense but in all honesty, this seasons title is there for the taking.

We should be well clear without having to be too great so far.
Literally thrown 8 points away and lost another 3 games at a whimper.

Here's a thought.
At two up with say twenty mins left or at latest at 2-1, sub off Rico and Alvarez for Nunes and Kovacic.
Then go to a conventional back four.
Eddy
Walker Ruby Gvardiol Ake
Rodders Nunes Kovacic
Foden Grealish Bernie
And there other combinations you could come up with utilising Stones and/or Akanji.
It keeps us solid at the back and shores up the midfield whilst keeping our attacking options open.

He would’ve stayed if we gave him a two year deal. We wouldn’t offer him one because of his age.

Yet agreed to bend the rule for Walker.

Mind blowingly idiotic call from the club.
Pretty sure he said, something along the lines that, he didn't feel he had it left in his legs, to maintain his own accepted level, in the league.

We looked like a tired team in the last 10 minutes. Tired from the aggressive press from the first half. Tired possibly from a long and hard fought treble winning season punctuated by a World Cup.

Only today’s situation against a poor Palace side was compounded by Pep’s stubborn refusal to make either timely adjustments or subs to match the infusion of energy from Palace’s 5 subs.

Foden’s error in the box was a rush of blood move to compensate for turning over the ball in midfield just moments earlier. The lad will learn from this and improve.

In that same spirit of learning, I hope Pep also takes a good hard look in the mirror.

Thought we took too many touches and moved the ball too slowly. No idea why we fall into that pattern in some games and play one-touch in others.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.