CSKA Post Match Thread

grandsolo said:
CitizenTID said:
Yeah yeah we've fucked up again/had a shit decision from another shit ref but did anyone notice how good the kit looked? It must be the chilly/icey air or something because the blue looked better there than it does here. Strange I know but I didn't like the home kit with dark trim before tonight. That's the most important thing to learn from tonight.

It was the return of the white shorts. We looked like City again

Wow didn't even notice that. Good spot (hard to miss)!

Bizarre game of 2 halves.

1st half I thought we were fucking excellent. In fact I'd ay it was the best we've played this season and the best we've played in the competition since we started in it. We looked 'serious' and were high energy, high tempo and totally bossed the game.

2nd half we were flat as fuck and I cant explain that, given the 1st half and the fact we were 45 minutes from 3 points against a who we are definitely better than.

I said before the game I didnt like the look of the 2 man midfield of Fernando and Yaya in this competition. I feared Yaya would get 'passed round' and his utter lack of a defensive football brain would expose us. IMO he was utter shit in the 2nd half and I mean shit to a truly unacceptable level. His limitations in this competition come to the fore game after game after game.

The 'penalty' was clearly ridiculous. Add that to the penalty we didn't get v Bayern, the penalty we didn't get v Roma and the fact Maicon wasn't sent off for a foul that stopped a definite goal scoring opportunity and that's to many incidents to be anything but bent as fuck.

I still think we'll qualify in 2nd place but am not sure I want us to if I'm honest. Firstly the competition is clearly bent and secondly looking at the likes of Bayern last night and Madrid tonight, if we faced either of them and they were in the mood, we'd get a proper fucking towelling off them, especially if over 2 legs.

Stoned Rose said:

1st half I thought we were fucking excellent. In fact I'd ay it was the best we've played this season and the best we've played in the competition since we started in it. We looked 'serious' and were high energy, high tempo and totally bossed the game.

2nd half we were flat as fuck and I cant explain that, given the 1st half and the fact we were 45 minutes from 3 points against a who we are definitely better than.

I said before the game I didnt like the look of the 2 man midfield of Fernando and Yaya in this competition. I feared Yaya would get 'passed round' and his utter lack of a defensive football brain would expose us. IMO he was utter shit in the 2nd half and I mean shit to a truly unacceptable level. His limitations in this competition come to the fore game after game after game.

The 'penalty' was clearly ridiculous. Add that to the penalty we didn't get v Bayern, the penalty we didn't get v Roma and the fact Maicon wasn't sent off for a foul that stopped a definite goal scoring opportunity and that's to many incidents to be anything but bent as fuck.

I still think we'll qualify in 2nd place but am not sure I want us to if I'm honest. Firstly the competition is clearly bent and secondly looking at the likes of Bayern last night and Madrid tonight, if we faced either of them and they were in the mood, we'd get a proper fucking towelling off them, especially if over 2 legs.

While I can agree with much of the above the part I highlighted is what concerns me about City. We can give ANYONE a "proper fucking toweling off" on our day, too, but we just seem incapable of creating that level of performance often enough.

When you look at the top teams, they simply show up and spank the opposition. Yes, the premier League is different, but Europe isn't! Hardly ever see the REAL top teams slip up at this level. Hell, United still did well long after their sell by date, but it is the MENTALITY to go and do the business that we seem to lack. We have too many players who seem temperamental in their performances, too many who show up every now and then, but not every game, too many who rest on their laurels too often.

When you look at Madrid tonight, their best players simply "create" goals for themselves from opportunities that arise. Ronaldo's goal was sensational....simple, quality, and created by two players who "show up" for every game.

I don't have the answer to our CL woes, and I'm not sure anyone at the club does, but if we go out at this stage, and don't buck up in the league, then it might be curtains for Pelle at the end of the season. Ridiculous as that sounds, we simply have not progressed this season, in either competition, and the Liverpool 3-1 and spanking Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup are the only results I can look at and say we looked good.

Need to sharpen and solidify the midfield and defence or someone is going to turn us over....and I don't mean the likes of United and Chelsea, I mean the likes of West Brom, Palace and Swansea, who are all showing more than we are this season.

Not good.

ChicagoBlue said:
Stoned Rose said:

While I can agree with much of the above the part I highlighted is what concerns me about City. We can give ANYONE a "proper fucking toweling off" on our day, too, but we just seem incapable of creating that level of performance often enough.

When you look at the top teams, they simply show up and spank the opposition. Yes, the premier League is different, but Europe isn't! Hardly ever see the REAL top teams slip up at this level. Hell, United still did well long after their sell by date, but it is the MENTALITY to go and do the business that we seem to lack. We have too many players who seem temperamental in their performances, too many who show up every now and then, but not every game, too many who rest on their laurels too often.

When you look at Madrid tonight, their best players simply "create" goals for themselves from opportunities that arise. Ronaldo's goal was sensational....simple, quality, and created by two players who "show up" for every game.

I don't have the answer to our CL woes, and I'm not sure anyone at the club does, but if we go out at this stage, and don't buck up in the league, then it might be curtains for Pelle at the end of the season. Ridiculous as that sounds, we simply have not progressed this season, in either competition, and the Liverpool 3-1 and spanking Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup are the only results I can look at and say we looked good.

Need to sharpen and solidify the midfield and defence or someone is going to turn us over....and I don't mean the likes of United and Chelsea, I mean the likes of West Brom, Palace and Swansea, who are all showing more than we are this season.

Not good.
Is that a serious comment? Buck up in the League? Ask Spurs or Villa

A lot of understandable concern well expressed on this forum about the deterioration in the second half. But the debate has been clouded by Jamie Redknapp's outburst in the Sky studio as he showed a few brief clips. after snarling"press the ball, Yaya Toure. press the ball !", he sneered at Fernando and fernandinho-" they're supposed to be destroyers" and moaned that" it made it worse when Fernandinho came on". Except only for the referee's role, it was all down to " a total shift in attitude" and was "abject".neither Redknapp nor Hoddle considered any other factors, taking the lazy option of agreeing with Stelling when he claimed " the points have just been squandered".

The pundits ignored the fact that the Arena khimki is no easy place to come to. Even the mighty Bayern, who humbled roma in their own back yard,laboured to a one nil win in Moscow.And under Leonid Slutsky, CSKA have twice got to the CL quarter-finals.

What's more, despite the sky commentary continually laughing at Slutsky's body language, they ignored his clever change of tacticsat half-time when he told his team to pass shorter and quicker to put city's central defence inder pressure.

City hadn't begun well against Slutsky's direct tactics-with Mangala making several potentially costly mistakes in the opening minute. But the whole team's confidence was boosted by mangala's great clearance on 23 minutes. after that we played superbly and established a two goal lead.Slutsky wasn't having that so he gave the defence new problems and reaped the reward with their first goal.mangala has tremendous potential but still has a lot to learn.Unlike Demichelis, he's little experience on the big stage and vincent kpmpany seemed to be stressed out with having to talk him through.

though there was a lot said about Vad's penalty decisions, there waslittle about his blunder on 57 minutes when he harshly booked Fernando for what was merely a foul.till then, Fernando had used his strength well but afterwards he became inhibited and missed a series of tackles including one in the leadup to their first goal.

it was surprising that Mp didn't start with Fernandinho in view of his experience in Russian conditions.So far from making it worse when he came on- to replace a tiring silva-he set up james milner with a clear goal chance after tricking Schennikov and nutmegging efremov.

we're left with one obvious issue, yaya.You can show footage of Yaya sauntering in his worst matches but it will look much the same asin his great games. In terms of his athleticism, artistry and vision , yaya is a world-class player. but, in the CL,he's not always master of the actual game situation and, with only five minutes left and a clear need for cautious play to make sure we got all three points, his blind flick which brought the pressure leading to their equaliser was indefensible.

so,yes, there are causes for concern but no ground whatever for redknapp wildly slagging city off the way he did and sparking unwarranted defeatism.

George Hannah said:
mammutly said:
Not got much to say about the game other than the penalty decision effectively sealed our exit from the competition.
I think that's rather premature, in fact I believe we're currently second favourites to qualify after Roma's implosion.

We are currently even money with the bookies to qualify from the group.
Its not very often these guys get it badly wrong.
We have more than a chance that is for sure.

Well, good to see that so many are gung ho about us qualifying. You've almost got me convinced. The most likely scenario, I think, is that we have to go to Rome and win, final game. A draw won't be enough. That's exactly what we didn't want staring us in the face when they came out of the draw. Can we do it? Well, yeah, for sure. We've got the quality, not a shadow of a doubt. But we haven't done it so far in Europe, ever, when a backs-to-the-wall performance has been called for. Hey ho… we'll see.
Meanwhile, back to the real football, the bread and butter: West Ham on Saturday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.