Cycling Advice

Got to change the pads on my front and back brakes this weekend because they've at their limits and not quite as efficient as they need to be in this weather.

Just told the missus I'll be bringing the bike into the kitchen to work on cos it's f*cing freezing in the shed. She's not happy... ;-)
Did you initially think of bringing it in front of the fire in the lounge?

On a lighter note...

Any recommendations of blogs/youtube channels for renovating or upgrading bikes?

I mentioned a couple of times im interested in gravel cycling...but i cant really justify splashing a load of money again after buying my Ribble earlier in the year. I use it for my commute, and love it....

I have an old-ish Carrera hybrid/mtb and have watched a few videos of people converting similar to a gravel bike. Tbh, its really something to do for a hobby and i dont intend to spend too much on it.

I expect to need a new group set....wheels and drop bars....but i dont really know all the tools ill need (especially for bottom bracket, cassette etc)

On a lighter note...

Any recommendations of blogs/youtube channels for renovating or upgrading bikes?

I mentioned a couple of times im interested in gravel cycling...but i cant really justify splashing a load of money again after buying my Ribble earlier in the year. I use it for my commute, and love it....

I have an old-ish Carrera hybrid/mtb and have watched a few videos of people converting similar to a gravel bike. Tbh, its really something to do for a hobby and i dont intend to spend too much on it.

I expect to need a new group set....wheels and drop bars....but i dont really know all the tools ill need (especially for bottom bracket, cassette etc)
I've looked at doing it on my hybrid, but the cost soon mounts up. Easily £150-200 for wheels & tyres, £250-300 for a groupset, and £50+ for bars and stem and that's before you factor in bar tape, cables and new BB/Headset bearings.
(plus the outlay for tools - crank puller, bottom bracket tool, cassette tool, chain tool, chain whip, cable cutters, various hex wrenches/spanners/sockets, torque wrench at a minimum, plus greases/lubricants; it easily adds up).

Before you know it you've spent £750 on a bike (including tools) that probably cost you less than half that in the first place, and the frame geometry might not even be optimum for its intended purpose.

Now if you scout around Ebay you might be able to pick up second hand components a lot cheaper, but there's no guarantees.

Last edited:
I've looked at doing it on my hybrid, but the cost soon mounts up. Easily £150-200 for wheels & tyres, £250-300 for a groupset, and £50+ for bars and stem and that's before you factor in bar tape, cables and new BB/Headset bearings.
(plus the outlay for tools - crank puller, bottom bracket tool, cassette tool, chain tool, chain whip, cable cutters, various hex wrenches/spanners/sockets, torque wrench at a minimum, plus greases/lubricants; it easily adds up).

Before you know it you've spent £750 on a bike (including tools) that probably cost you less than half that in the first place, and the frame geometry might not even be optimum for its intended purpose.

Now if you scout around Ebay you might be able to pick up second hand components a lot cheaper, but there's no guarantees.
I kinda thought most of that....however im in no rush, so the cost will be over a longish time...i have a decent set of tools...except the cycling specific ones...i think its more of the challenge and learning some skillzzzzz

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.