Cycling Advice

I've compiled a list of the basic tools that you'll likely need. These are all Park Tools - pretty much the Snap-on of the bycle world. All quality gear that will last you a lifetime if you look after them.

With the BB and cassette tools you'll need to confirm that they are the correct sizes, but I believe they are for Carrera bikes. Certainly SRAM/Shimano are interchangeable cassette lockrings

CWP-7 Compact Universal Crank Puller | Park Tool
FR-5.2 Cassette Lockring Tool | Park Tool
BBT-32 Bottom Bracket Tool – 20-Spline | Park Tool
SR-18.2 Sprocket Remover / Chain Whip | Park Tool
PW-3 Pedal Wrench | Park Tool
CT-5 Mini Chain Tool | Park Tool
MLP-1.2 Master Link Pliers | Park Tool

You can invest in things like spoke keys and cone wrenches if you intend to build/service your own wheels. Also, a decent bike stand is essential (PCS-9.3 Home Mechanic Repair Stand | Park Tool).

I've compiled a list of the basic tools that you'll likely need. These are all Park Tools - pretty much the Snap-on of the bycle world. All quality gear that will last you a lifetime if you look after them.

With the BB and cassette tools you'll need to confirm that they are the correct sizes, but I believe they are for Carrera bikes. Certainly SRAM/Shimano are interchangeable cassette lockrings

CWP-7 Compact Universal Crank Puller | Park Tool
FR-5.2 Cassette Lockring Tool | Park Tool
BBT-32 Bottom Bracket Tool – 20-Spline | Park Tool
SR-18.2 Sprocket Remover / Chain Whip | Park Tool
PW-3 Pedal Wrench | Park Tool
CT-5 Mini Chain Tool | Park Tool
MLP-1.2 Master Link Pliers | Park Tool

You can invest in things like spoke keys and cone wrenches if you intend to build/service your own wheels. Also, a decent bike stand is essential (PCS-9.3 Home Mechanic Repair Stand | Park Tool).
Mate, thats brilliant....nice one.....

....off to update my Xmas list :-)

Bike crime is rife now, especially high-end machines. Mate of mine was followed home and later had 20k worth of bikes nicked from his house. Then last week he was followed to work and had his bike nicked from the rack bt two lads on a scotter and carrying bolt cutters.

Bike crime is rife now, especially high-end machines. Mate of mine was followed home and later had 20k worth of bikes nicked from his house. Then last week he was followed to work and had his bike nicked from the rack bt two lads on a scotter and carrying bolt cutters.
The bike I use for commuting is nothing special, but I still use a Kryptonite Evolution Mini-5 D-lock between the frame and bike rack with a cable from the D-lock through the rear triangle, frame and back wheel. I also use a separate cable lock through the front wheel and frame to the bike rack. The cables are susceptible to bolt croppers, but the D-lock is a short loop lock with hardened steel bar and very little room between frame/bike/lock to get any tools in without damaging the frame.

The bike is only worth £200 second hand anyway and thieves would probably end up wrecking it by trying to steal it. It's not even got any desirable parts on it apart from maybe the seat.

Evolution Mini-5 - New-U (kryptonitelock.com)

Do you know the clicking noise you hear whenever you are freewheeling? Where precisely, or what produces that sound...is it the cassette?

Is there a (bad) reason for that getting louder? Ive had my bike for a year now and its noticeably louder than when i first got it....also, possibly related....is it possible that the jump between certain gears might increase? A couple of gear changes definitely feel bigger....if so, what would cause this?

i have 1x11 gears/cassette btw

Do you know the clicking noise you hear whenever you are freewheeling? Where precisely, or what produces that sound...is it the cassette?

Is there a (bad) reason for that getting louder? Ive had my bike for a year now and its noticeably louder than when i first got it....also, possibly related....is it possible that the jump between certain gears might increase? A couple of gear changes definitely feel bigger....if so, what would cause this?

i have 1x11 gears/cassette btw
It's the freewheel hub making the noise, and it's fairly normal for it to get a bit louder as it was likely shipped with a fair wedge of grease in it which has now settled. I'd worry more if it got quieter.

As for your gear changes feeling bigger; have you checked to make sure it's indexed correctly (1 click, 1 gear)?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.