Cycling Advice

I normally ride with a cycling specific rucksack, but during the summer months I tend to find it myself overheating and I end up with a really sweaty back. I decided to fit a rear pannier rack to my hybrid at the weekend and got myself a single waterproof bag. First ride to work with it loaded (about 4kg extra weight on one side).

First impressions are that the handling of my bike is definitely different. Noticeably less stable, especially in fast bends; took me a couple of Km's to get used to. I'll see how it is on the way home, and I might look at picking up a bag for the other side to balance things up.

Picked up one of these last week to put on my pannier bag (from here).

Paspixi.jpg

This mornings commute was definitely less stressful, although it was generally light traffic at 06:45. I'll compare it to the ride home later which is usually a lot busier.

When i was driving home late at night recently i noticed some tosser on a bike wearing black with no lights on. Not only that he had over ear headphones on and was texting on his fuckin' phone. If i wasn't paying attention i could have easily hit him as he wasn't cycling in a straight line. What a ****.

When i was driving home late at night recently i noticed some tosser on a bike wearing black with no lights on. Not only that he had over ear headphones on and was texting on his fuckin' phone. If i wasn't paying attention i could have easily hit him as he wasn't cycling in a straight line. What a ****.
You 'noticed' him...?

That's because you are an attentive driver and nothing to do with what the cyclist was wearing. The idiot wasn't doing themselves any favours wearing headphones or scrolling on their mobile phone though, and the lack of lights (I'm presuming it was actually dark) goes against the Highway Code (Rule 60 ...MUST have white front and red rear lights lit).

You 'noticed' him...?

That's because you are an attentive driver and nothing to do with what the cyclist was wearing. The idiot wasn't doing themselves any favours wearing headphones or scrolling on their mobile phone though, and the lack of lights (I'm presuming it was actually dark) goes against the Highway Code (Rule 60 ...MUST have white front and red rear lights lit).
I noticed just in time, fortunately for him. Yes it was dark. I think he was stoned and oblivious to any car driver tbh mate.

These people do responsible cyclist no favours whatsoever, same as the tw@ts who go through red lights or cut across the pavement to avoid junctions.
You're right, they do give you responsible cyclists a bad name. And being a responsible cyclist is dangerous enough on roads nowadays even though they wear a helmet, bright colours and have lights and hi viz reflective clothing at night.

I think the law needs to get tougher on those who ride without lights, and i think it should be made law that road riding cyclists wear a helmet and reflective clothing and have lights that work. And i think cyclists should have to be insured like all other vehicle users are.

You're right, they do give you responsible cyclists a bad name. And being a responsible cyclist is dangerous enough on roads nowadays even though they wear a helmet, bright colours and have lights and hi viz reflective clothing at night.

I think the law needs to get tougher on those who ride without lights, and i think it should be made law that road riding cyclists wear a helmet and reflective clothing and have lights that work. And i think cyclists should have to be insured like all other vehicle users are.
I wear a helmet, but they should not be compulsory. There is evidence that cycling helmets offer little to no protection in a collision with a motor vehicle, and it some situations helmets can actually be the cause of neck injuries by acting as a lever against the the spine in a low speed crash. So much so that Cycling UK are on the fence about helmet; neither for or against them (https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaign/cycle-helmets-evidence). Even the Highway Code says 'a correctly fitted helmet will reduce your risk of sustaining a head injury in certain circumstances', referring in general to low speed or stationary accidents.

Lights I agree with, and the compulsory reflectors (Red rear and Orange pedal), although I use SPD's which don't have reflectors, but my shoes do which isn't strictly to the letter of the law. High viz is recommended in the HC but again not mandatory. Personally I'm lit up like Liberace's Christmas Tree when I'm cycling in the dark depths of winter. In the Summer months I tend not to be out in the dark anyway.

As for Insurance I am insured for personal liability on a separate cycling policy, and my household insurance also covers me, but again that should not be compulsory.

Apart from that I had a cracking ride into work at 0630 this morning. Only a couple of minor incidents. One about 50yds from my front door when some guy backed out of his drive without looking and another 500yds later where a guy at a junction stared me in the eye as I approached and then as I was less than 10yds away and not going slow he just pulled out and turned right across my path.

A few high speed close passes which is pretty normal around here, but the weather was glorious and it's only getting hotter.

Apart from that I had a cracking ride into work at 0630 this morning. Only a couple of minor incidents. One about 50yds from my front door when some guy backed out of his drive without looking and another 500yds later where a guy at a junction stared me in the eye as I approached and then as I was less than 10yds away and not going slow he just pulled out and turned right across my path.

A few high speed close passes which is pretty normal around here, but the weather was glorious and it's only getting hotter.

Says it all that 2 incidents + close passes equals a cracking ride!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.