Cycling Advice

Says it all that 2 incidents + close passes equals a cracking ride!
Even though the incidents were dangerous I didn't feel like I wasn't in control of the situation at any point today. Other riders may have felt differently, but I'm relatively experienced and fairly relaxed most of the time when I'm riding.

I've had some absolute shockers though where I've been fractions of a second away from serious injury or worse involving drivers who are just not driving to the test standard. Being close passed (<30cm from my shoulder) by a double-decker bus at +50mph on a single carriageway A-Road in the wet when there was nothing coming the other way is not a particularly pleasant experience.

Thinking of ditching the car into work and picking up a hybrid bike on the cycle-to-work scheme. With the rise in fuel and stress of traffic on the roads, cycling seems to be a great alternative. It would be a 32 mile ride (there and back) and I only go into the office twice a week.

Any recommendations?

I'm leaning towards the Trek FX-3 Disc (fully equipped) at the moment.

Do you think I should consider a road bike instead?

From what I gather he FX-3 is more like a road bike but without the road handlebars etc...

Thinking of ditching the car into work and picking up a hybrid bike on the cycle-to-work scheme. With the rise in fuel and stress of traffic on the roads, cycling seems to be a great alternative. It would be a 32 mile ride (there and back) and I only go into the office twice a week.

Any recommendations?

From what I gather he FX-3 is more like a road bike but without the road handlebars etc...
I did the same at the start of lockdown...i only cycle about 8 miles a day...but 5 days a week....i would often go for longer rides at weekends.

i got this Ribble Hybrid AL, the fully loaded edition through Cycle To Work

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-hybrid-al/

i absolutely love it :-) .... i dont feel the need to have drop/road bars on it....i have however added bar ends so that i can change hand position

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 7

Any recommendations?

Depends on your route really. Anything hilly and your gear ratios will be important. Anything off road or on poor road surfaces and you might be looking at something more robust than an out and out road bike.

Another thing to consider is that 32 miles is going to be over 1hr riding each way at a 16mph average.

Depends on your route really. Anything hilly and your gear ratios will be important. Anything off road or on poor road surfaces and you might be looking at something more robust than an out and out road bike.

Another thing to consider is that 32 miles is going to be over 1hr riding each way at a 16mph average.

Fairly hilly on good road surfaces but worse coming home than going (400ft up, 800ft down on the way in and vice versa), which is probably the right way around. I'm fairly fit so the 16 miles doesn't concern me but I'm not bike fit yet, so the first few weeks may be more of a struggle.

More likely to go off road at the weekend.

I reckon my commute is probably more suited to a good road bike but I was hoping a decent hybrid would do the job.

I did the same at the start of lockdown...i only cycle about 8 miles a day...but 5 days a week....i would often go for longer rides at weekends.

i got this Ribble Hybrid AL, the fully loaded edition through Cycle To Work

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-hybrid-al/

i absolutely love it :-) .... i dont feel the need to have drop/road bars on it....i have however added bar ends so that i can change hand position

Fair play, nice looking bike that. How does it hold up on the longer rides at the weekend?

Luckily in lockdown I was at home and when I did have to go in the office for the odd thing the roads were quiet.

Funnily enough it's the traffic thats doing my head in (more than the fuel prices - although they are ridiculous).

Fairly hilly on good road surfaces but worse coming home than going, which is probably the right way around. I'm fairly fit so the 16 miles doesn't concern me but I'm not bike fit yet, so the first few weeks may be more of a struggle.

More likely to go off road, at the weekend.

I reckon my commute is probably more suited to a good road bike but I was hoping a decent hybrid good do the job.
It certainly took me a while to get bike fit after a long lay off, but it wasn't unmanageable. I built up my fitness before I committed to cycle commuting.

Hills wise a hybrid might not have the gears to get you up hills depending on how steep they are. Mine is a 32-44/12-32 7-speed and some days I do feel like it's not enough on the way up and not enough on the way down.

Fair play, nice looking bike that. How does it hold up on the longer rides at the weekend?

Luckily in lockdown I was at home and when I did have to go in the office for the odd thing the roads were quiet.

Funnily enough it's the traffic thats doing my head in (more than the fuel prices - although they are ridiculous).
The longer rides are absolutely fine, when i do they tend to be 30-40 mile round trips....have even done a cpl in the Mourne Mountains....

ive a mate big into cycling, member of a club etc, and even he says hes no idea why you'd want drop bars on a bike...especially when mostly commuting...he, like most, ride on the hoods, and rarely in a drop position....i suppose they can give you more hand positions if your hands and wrists get sore...but thats why i put small bar ends on.

The bike i got is essentially a road bike, with flat bars and a slightly more comfortable seating position.....road bikes are more "aggressive" in positioning....the wider tyres also make it a bit more comfortable

The longer rides are absolutely fine....ive a mate big into cycling, member of a club etc, and even he says hes no idea why you'd want drop bars on a bike...especially when mostly commuting...he like most ride on the hoods, and rarely in a drop position....i suppose they can give you more hand positions if your hands and wrists get sore...but thats why i put small bar ends on.

The bike i got is essentially a road bike, with flat bars and a slightly more comfortable seating position.....road bikes are more "aggressive" in positioning....the wider tyres also make it a bit more comfortable
Road bike tyres on my commute would kill me. Most of the roads are CRAP.

It also has the bigger 700 wheels....

Groupset
Groupset - SRAM NX 1x11 Speed.
Shifter - SRAM NX1 Trigger Shifter.
Brakes - Tektro HD-R280 Hydraulic Disc.
Chainset - SRAM NX, 1x11, 32T, Black.
Crank Length - SM/MD 170mm, L/XL 175mm.
Bottom Bracket - SRAM GXP Team Threaded BSA.
Cassette - Sun Race MS7 11-Speed 11-42T.
Chain - SRAM PC-1110 11 Speed.
Rotors - 6-Bolt 160mm.
Rear Derailleur - SRAM NX 1x11 Long cage.

Wheelset
Wheels - LEVEL 700c Alloy Disc, 12x100F/12x142R.
Tyres - Schwalbe G-One Speed, 700x40c, Black.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.