Cycling Advice

Mrs Ewing and I can go on a simple ride - mixture of back streets, canal towpath and cycle path, with a hundred yards or so of the A58, and we know that nigh on one in, say, three rides, we will encounter a motorist who will raise the question in our heads "What were you trying to do then? We have got to the point where we expect motorists to do the oddest thing. But having said that the vast majority are very cycle aware and cycle friendly, to the point that where a motorist gives way and lets us cross the traffic, Mrs Ewing and I always say "He's a cyclist!'

When I used to commute daily my basic tenet was 'assume they haven't seen you and if they have they're trying to kill you'. Cycling Cheadle Hulme to Alty was a nice ride despite the obvious dangers of the lanes nr Wythenshawe hospital but when we moved the office to city centre I called it a day. I work form home now and have my fixie set up on a turbo in the shed. At 5 o'clock I hop on and 'ride home' for 30 minutes. I always arrive safely.

I'm off home in a bit to remove my frame mounted mini-pump and second (empty) bottle cage........
I’ve 2 but I always have a bottle in them... I do have Tri bars fitted though.... and a seat bag... and I swim and run before after, I’m often turn it upside down too!! I’m fucked tbh if anyone serious sees me !!643BDF32-BCC8-495E-BD89-6292EB28A644.jpeg

Just had a look at my Strava stats. 1604miles so far this year. Wanted to get over 3k so a little behind but got a cycling holiday coming up in Spain in October, fingers crossed for this Covid shite doing one.

I've been having issues with my rear mech limit screws shifting over time, to the point where my chain has pinged off the rear cog when shifting into the lowest sprocket (32T). Luckily it's only come off the big cog when I've been downshifting coming to a stop at a junction. It would have been disastrous if it happened during a climb as I'd probably done some damage.

It's also happened at the other end of the the cassette, but no real damage done (apart from minor scuffing to the frame on the inside of the rear dropout. This is due to the fact I don't immediately whack on the power when shifting, up or down. I generally just allow half a turn to make sure the chain engages properly.

Learned this from experience when I had a steel frame MTB and I go the chain well and truly jammed between sprocket and frame and ended up wrecking the cassette and freehub getting it out. Since learned a trick for freeing a stuck chain, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

So this afternoon I've degreased the screws and holes then applied some thread lock and refitted them. Hopefully it will do the trick.

Anyone else had similar issues?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.