Cycling Advice

I hate the cobbles. Especially uphill. Went up Shibden Wall last summer (it’s on the top 100 UK climb list) and have to say I failed. I don’t like how technical they make the climb, having to find the best route up whilst blowing out of your arse at the same time!
Michaelgate is on the official list (#28) which is surprising considering it's pretty short. The top section is particularly bad in that you also have to negotiate pedestrians who are completely oblivious and generally unpredictable. I've done it in the wet and it definitely makes it a lot more sporty.

Just treated myself to a new chain.

The old one went from .75% worn to over 1.0% worn in a little under 3 weeks (around 150 miles of commuting), and hasn't been shifting gear too well for the last couple of days. The roads have been pretty minging though recently, so it's taken a fair bit of punishment.

I've gone for wax based lube, so I needed to completely clean off any oil, otherwise the wax doesn't stick. It's a pain in the arse job, but worth it in the long run.

Just need to re-index tomorrow and I should be good to go.

Just treated myself to a new chain.

The old one went from .75% worn to over 1.0% worn in a little under 3 weeks (around 150 miles of commuting), and hasn't been shifting gear too well for the last couple of days. The roads have been pretty minging though recently, so it's taken a fair bit of punishment.

I've gone for wax based lube, so I needed to completely clean off any oil, otherwise the wax doesn't stick. It's a pain in the arse job, but worth it in the long run.

Just need to re-index tomorrow and I should be good to go.
Just charged up my battery! Full tank now. Weather permitting there ain't a fuckin' hill I can't get up 'n over - Owd Bett's, The Edge, Sharneyford!

Each to their own, but I absolutely hated cycling as a kid. I was in Italy 20 years or so ago and was persuaded to hire a bike to ride around the walls of Lucca, and, yeah, I detested it just as much. I would have enjoyed the experience so much more if I'd just walked. I hadn't ridden a bike for decades before that lapse of sanity, and I haven't ridden one since.

Two wheel machines need engines. I've enjoyed those for nearly half a century, but pushbikes, nah, not for me.

I remember those mornings going to school when it was windy and wet, and on went the yellow cape. It was like having a bloody parachute dragging behind you.

Fair do's if you enjoy cycling, but nothing will ever persuade me peddling is a pleasant way to travel.

Last edited:
New chain was an absolute pleasure on my ride in this morning; pretty much silent pedalling.

I also went for a higher tyre pressure (45psi instead of 35, 26x1.75). Rolling resistance was better but the lumps and bumps in the road were a lot harder.

Fog was a bit of a nightmare. The usual idiots not driving to the conditions. I give drivers every opportunity to see me, yet they still give me f*ck all room when overtaking at 60mph, despite there being nothing coming in the opposite direction.

Two 40 mile rides in three days with over 2k climbing each ride, felt good to be back on roads, way to go yet but started to feel the love for it again.

On another note one of my mates got took out when a car pulled out in front of him, right over the top. Luckily no limb threatening injuries however his Pinarello Gan didn’t fare so well and is three separate bits.

We have another cycling buddy who works for the quickstep team and today the lad who had the off got a loverly video from Sam Bennett wishing him all the best in his recovery, nice touch.

I’m starting back at work on Friday so my daily commutes will begin again for the first time since early December.

I’ve put a fair bit of fat on over the Winter as I’ve only been out for a ride or a run/walk the odd time, and obviously not been in the gym.

But this will start six weeks of fat burning until the gyms open again, looking forward to it!

Each to their own, but I absolutely hated cycling as a kid. I was in Italy 20 years or so ago and was persuaded to hire a bike to ride around the walls of Lucca, and, yeah, I detested it just as much. I would have enjoyed the experience so much more if I'd just walked. I hadn't ridden a bike for decades before that lapse of sanity, and I haven't ridden one since.

Two wheel machines need engines. I've enjoyed those for nearly half a century, but pushbikes, nah, not for me.

I remember those mornings going to school when it was windy and wet, and on went the yellow cape. It was like having a bloody parachute dragging behind you.

Fair do's if you enjoy cycling, but nothing will ever persuade me peddling is a pleasant way to travel.
Lucca!
It’s a 40 minute walk!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.