Daft things Dad said about City when you was a kid

Brought back memories of my first 'derby' at OT..

When Harley broke away to score the last minute winner, with what seemed like the entire United team, coaching staff and half the crowd chasing him (!!), The Old Man shouted at me as we all cheered the goal, 'Look at Bert, look at Bert!' as Trautmann was doing somersaults on the edge of the area in celebration!

As for daft things The Old Man would say, well he was a pretty good judge of a player, whether for City or other teams (I learned a lot from him recommending I watch players like John 'The Ghost' White of Spurs and Alex 'The Golden Vision' Young of Everton etc) but he got Glyn Pardoe completely wrong!

After Pardoe broke into the team as a winger at 15 years old, the Old Fella said 'He's a Big Bake, he'll never make it' (I never did find out what a 'Big Bake' was!)

Fast forward a few years to title winning, FA and League Cup winning, Cup Winners' Cup winning Glyn Pardoe, the best left-back in the country.. the Old Man held his hands up and admitted defeat!
A person of low intelligence = a bake

So maybe he meant Pardoe was a big divvy and he'd never make it because he wasn't football intelligent?

Still, it is fair to say your old man was wrong lol

Son's first day in school "dad all kids will take the piss of my man city school back pack".

23 year's later - now who's fuxxing laughing.
In about 95 My lad came home and asked me if he could support Man United cos everyone else does. I told him he could but it would mean moving into the garage. I said to him that one day it would be our turn. I couldn’t believe he remembered those words in 2012. After Aguero he just kept shouting you told me it will be our turn one day.

My Dad didn"t say anything on the way out from Maine Road after we had lost. I just got a cuff round the earhole.

My dad was a united season ticket holder from when their shit-tip was rebuilt after the war (and knowing my brother, probably still is despite the fact that he died 3 years ago). When we were really shit he had a well-,meaning letter published in the MEN suggesting united should help us out financially. Personally, I'd rather have gone bust !!

"You little blonde prick, I told you to go and get the shirt of the best player in the world to put on ebay"

blonde prick.JPG

"I did dad"

*Apologies if this is your kid, obv.

As for daft things The Old Man would say, well he was a pretty good judge of a player, whether for City or other teams (I learned a lot from him recommending I watch players like John 'The Ghost' White of Spurs and Alex 'The Golden Vision' Young of Everton etc) but he got Glyn Pardoe completely wrong!

After Pardoe broke into the team as a winger at 15 years old, the Old Fella said 'He's a Big Bake, he'll never make it' (I never did find out what a 'Big Bake' was!)

Fast forward a few years to title winning, FA and League Cup winning, Cup Winners' Cup winning Glyn Pardoe, the best left-back in the country.. the Old Man held his hands up and admitted defeat!
I always thought that that Pardoe was a centre forward when he first came into the City team. He certainly always wore the Number Nine shirt in his early appearances. Generally Neil Young and David Wagstaffe played on the wings, back then, with Peter Dobing and Joe Hayes (or Matt Gray) as inside forwards. The arrival of Alex Harley saw Pardoe out of the team for a spell. I do appreciate that Les McDowall liked to play games with the shirt numbers including playing Don Revie in a midfield role wearing Number Nine.

Pardoe made intermittent appearances in midfield later before settling down in the Number Three. But like Zinchenko and also Cancelo today, he was far from being a conventional left back, largely filling a midfield-type role under Mercer. Remarkably similar to Cancelo and Zinchenko!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.