Daily Mail, your media etc

Whilst no one wants anything other than a free press, maybe there should be a fit and proper persons check on ownership to prevent Russian oligarchs or non dom taxpayers from having control of major elements of UK based media. It seems wrong that a small handful of extremely people who have little vested interest in the success of the UK can wield so much influence. Unfortunately, as long as this government are in power, it can’t happen as these same owners are funding the Tory party and they’re not going to vote the hand that feeds them and that keeps them in power.

The second problem is why are people watching or reading news purely to agree or disagree with something? I thought the news was supposed to be an account of stuff that's happened? It's a bit sad really that we have to read or hear about things and then pass judgement on them.

Everything is bloody political nowadays unfortunately and I think it's actually turning people off things like politics. It definitely has for me because it was once interesting to read and participate in debate but now it's just about who thinks they're right the most (and can be arsed arguing to prove it).

Agree with this. The blurring of the lines between news and editorials, which is now happening with more regularity in tv media as well as print with some of the newer channels that have cropped up, is a big issue.

Agree with this. The blurring of the lines between news and editorials, which is now happening with more regularity in tv media as well as print with some of the newer channels that have cropped up, is a big issue.
There is always a requirement for editorial. A cold reporting of ‘this has happened’, more often than not needs a follow up to describe context and why it happened. The problem with the media today is that editorial is dishonest. I genuinely don’t know how you fix it but the good people of this country are having poison dripped in their ear on 24x7 basis. A great many (not all) ills that have diminished us can be traced back to the same source.

There is always a requirement for editorial. A cold reporting of ‘this has happened’, more often than not needs a follow up to describe context and why it happened. The problem with the media today is that editorial is dishonest. I genuinely don’t know how you fix it but the good people of this country are having poison dripped in their ear on 24x7 basis. A great many (not all) ills that have diminished us can be traced back to the same source.

I agree, I wasn’t saying to remove editorial, but to be clearer on the distinction between the two.

I'm a journalist - my last travel feature was published in The People, the Sunday Mirror, Daily Star Sunday and Sunday Express as well as associated websites p because they are all owned by one company and that takes in the Echo, MEN - a ridiculous amount of media to control by one company imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.