Daley Thompson

AshtonBlueMooner

Absolutely hero worshipped Daley many years ago. What an athlete, unbelievable desire to win and also the leading light in track and field late 70’s, early 80’s for team GB.
However, just watched the documentary on him and got to say, he doesn’t come across great. Maybe it’s the editing or something but unfortunately it’s really tainted my opinion of him.
Anyone else seen the documentary? Am I being too harsh?

Absolutely hero worshipped Daley many years ago. What an athlete, unbelievable desire to win and also the leading light in track and field late 70’s, early 80’s for team GB.
However, just watched the documentary on him and got to say, he doesn’t come across great. Maybe it’s the editing or something but unfortunately it’s really tainted my opinion of him.

Why? Is he a rag?

He had a very tough upbringing and went on to be an Olympic champion. Respect from me.

I'll give it a watch, but can believe how he might come across. He was on one hand, an inspirational, happy go lucky character, but definitely had another side too. The Carl Lewis t-shirt was a pretty grim episode, which suggests a meaner spirit.

Still, there was a nice article about him and doc in the Guardian, by Cath Bishop, who was an Olympic rower, but had a lovely friendship with him a long time past his own peak. Her article certainly suggests the positive side of his character, that made him so popular in the 80s, was genuine.

I thought he was tremendously amusing. I did like the bit where he said he didn't want Coe to win his race! Nice that he and HIngtsen are great mates now. They never showed that tee shirt where Daley suggested that he was Germany's favourite son!

He was my hero too.
Whilst I can genuinely see why you might feel like that having watching it, it didn’t taint my view of him.

What I would say is, I no longer have any public figures that I’d really refer to as heroes any more. They are human and they are as flawed as the rest of us (in my experience of those I’ve met or got to know more about of the years), so it’s probably more a reflection on us pal.

But he is still my favourite athlete of that/any era, regardless of any faults.

TL;DR
Yes, I think you’re being a tad harsh!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.