Daley Thompson

Came across as having two different sides to him.

Thought it was funny the media clip when asked about Jurgen Hingsen being confident and the response he gave ;
There’s two ways he will get the gold medal - he will either steal mine or he is entering another event.

I thought he was tremendously amusing. I did like the bit where he said he didn't want Coe to win his race! Nice that he and HIngtsen are great mates now. They never showed that tee shirt where Daley suggested that he was Germany's favourite son!
This was after he won gold at the European Championships in Stuttgart in 1986. IIRC the t-shirt he unveiled for the lap of honour read - in German - “Germany’s 3 most loved sons - Boris, Bernhard, and Daley”. I’ve not seen the documentary but have to admit that he came across as a bit of a knob at times down the years. However, that t-shirt was pure box office and showed he had a likeable humorous side! I seem to recall that despite him beating Hingsen on that occasion, Daley got a good reception from the German crowd.

Last edited:
This was after he won gold at the World Championships in Stuttgart in 1986. IIRC the t-shirt he unveiled for the lap of honour read - in German - “Germany’s 3 most loved sons - Boris, Bernhard, and Daley”. I’ve not seen the documentary but have to admit that he came across as a bit of a knob at times down the years. However, that t-shirt was pure box office and showed he had a likeable humorous side! I seem to recall that despite him beating Hingsen on that occasion, Daley got a good reception from the German crowd.
If you try quirky humour, you do sometimes look a bit of a knob. I’ve always warmed to him. Great athlete.

I thought the documentary was a terrific view - not a hagiography about his character. The family background stuff probably didn't get much coverage at the time.

I remember seeing the competition when he needed to run the 1500m quite hard and did so, with Hingsen turning round to see him not very far behind. Just a very very tough bloke.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.