Danilo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like most, I want to see youth given a chance but Maffeo was shipped out when full back wise we were at breaking point and then this Summer the club/Pep have decided to spend £80m on right backs. If he has been unable to get himself into this team over the past 12 months, I very much doubt he ever will. Rightly or wrongly Maffeo has 0% chance of making it at this club.
If he plays a full season with Girona, either we will bring him back or we won't depending how he performs. If we don't we will be able to tell if we are potentially making a mistake if after a season in La Liga one of the top Spanish teams are trying to buy him. I don't see how being a fringe player for us is better for developing and monitoring a player than playing first team La Liga football for Girona.

Like most, I want to see youth given a chance but Maffeo was shipped out when full back wise we were at breaking point and then this Summer the club/Pep have decided to spend £80m on right backs. If he has been unable to get himself into this team over the past 12 months, I very much doubt he ever will. Rightly or wrongly Maffeo has 0% chance of making it at this club.

Correct. And it's that way because we need experience to move to the next level.

Maffeo has no chance.

So I give an example of them bringing kids through when they're doing badly, and the reply is "Oh it's easy when you're doing badly".

I give an examle of them bringing kids through when they're doing well, and the reply is "Oh it's easy when you're doing well".

I see you've come up with some very nice mental gymnastics there.

To be honest it's a bit of a catch 22 situation, it probably does look like a bit of a cop out I admit but it's a risk reward scenario where the risk is just too high at the moment.

However, if we start smashing teams and not bringing on the kids for some game time then it is a problem. One of my biggest criticisms of Pellegrini was his persistence in bringing on players like Demichelis when we had a significant leads (3 goals) in matches.

Anyway happy to discuss it in an appropriate thread, as I expect the Mods to be in here soon expecting things to get back on topic.

No, there will never be this Utopian time when the club is stable and we're winning and everyone's happy and kids get handed out chances because "what's the harm!?".

You're setting a standard no other club in the world ever sets, just like the people who think kids need 10 year experience in a top division before they can get given a chance.

We could go on all day.

Do you think Maffeo is good enough?

No, there will never be this Utopian time when the club is stable and we're winning and everyone's happy and kids get handed out chances because "what's the harm!?".

You're setting a standard no other club in the world ever sets, just like the people who think kids need 10 year experience in a top division before they can get given a chance.
Would Kane be where he is now without his loans, not in my opinion. Would Deli Alli be where he is now without regular football at MK Dons, again don't think so.There are more examples of players needing loans than those going straight into the first team, at least at champions league level teams.

If he's not kicked on after a big money move, why are we giving them their money back and taking on the risk ourselves? Nobody does that with our bunch. Rightly so. I don't know a great deal but it feels like not making an impact after a 30m move would reduce your value?

Savic plays for one of the top 3 teams on the planet according to UEFA rankings.

Would Kane be where he is now without his loans, not in my opinion. Would Deli Alli be where he is now without regular football at MK Dons, again don't think so.There are more examples of players needing loans than those going straight into the first team, at least at champions league level teams.

What does Dele Alli have to do with anything? He's never been on loan.

Kane is one example of a player coming back after loan, there are a shit load more examples of world class players not going on loan, but getting drip fed into their club team.

If he plays a full season with Girona, either we will bring him back or we won't depending how he performs. If we don't we will be able to tell if we are potentially making a mistake if after a season in La Liga one of the top Spanish teams are trying to buy him. I don't see how being a fringe player for us is better for developing and monitoring a player than playing first team La Liga football for Girona.

I think for most clubs what you have described would ring true, I just have my doubts where City are concerned. We have have developed somewhat of a habit of sending players on loan, who do well and then still don't get a chance at the club.

I wonder what knock effect this has on our other transfer business? I think its fair to say that buying Danilo instead of signing Alvez means we are spending 30m more than we expected to, on the 2nd right back.

And possibly not signing a second LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.