Danny Ings

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've already used all 4 HG spots for Champions League purposes (Aké is actually using a foreign spot despite being homegrown) so there's no advantage to Ings being homegrown. If he were to be signed it would be to replace an existing squad player.
True, but post Brexit there've been some murmurs about the Premier League increasing the HG quota. So you can never really have too many.

True, but post Brexit there've been some murmurs about the Premier League increasing the HG quota. So you can never really have too many.
They'd need to give a few years warning (with definite numbers) to avoid running afoul of the courts by forcing clubs to sack already under contract players so we're not seeing that next season. UEFA aren't going to be changing theirs and that's the key one, nobody will sign for a Champions League club if they know they're excluded from the CL squad. Right now we have 16 foreign trained, 5 association developed (Sterling, Carson, Aké, Walker and Stones) and 1 club trained (Foden). The extra AD player gives us a bit of flexibility in that we can replace an AD with a foreign player but any signings will be one in, one out.

I have heard the same, what frustrates me is that with the league so close to being sewn up there is a real opportunity to bring him off the bench in some of the remaining league games to have a good look at him.
Why not both?

He’s far from the finished article.

He clearly has some natural ability, but that’s simply not enough at the top level. The step up in knowledge, speed and speed of thought (“nous”), tactical awareness and understanding of your role take YEARS for most players. In an ALL OR NOTHING team concept like we have under Pep, where it breaks down quickly if one cog isn’t operating correctly, it is imperative.

If you watch the Foden of today with the Foden of last year, the growth is astounding. He managed to do that while staying here, because his position wasn’t all about getting on the end of a chance snd scoring...which is the hardest thing in football.

Strikers need to be bloodied in games where they can score, grow in confidence and stature, and learn the game WHILE SCORING. If Pep and the staff believe that’s somewhere else for Delap, I’ll bow to their knowledge on the matter.

I’m less interested in him “coming good” next season than I am in seeing him spend 5-6 years at City in the first team squad, banging in goals, when he is in his prime. He is a big lad, with a Dad who understands the game. Those two things will help him understand what he needs to do and how a stint away could do him the world of good, no matter if he ever plays for City again or not!

Good luck to the lad! I hope he becomes a top class striker for us. But, if not us, I hope he has a decent career, makes a few quid to enjoy the rest of his life, and doesn’t come back to haunt us!

I have seen contemplated on Twitter the notion that we are indeed looking at two strikers, with Aguero going and Jesus being used as a winger next season. Ings wouldn’t be the “Aguero replacement” (that would be a Haaland or Kane), but the number two. IN THAT SCENARIO, I could live with Ings. But the Sky Sports talks about Ings as “the Aguero replacement”, which honestly would be a slap in the face to Aguero, Pep and us

I have heard the same, what frustrates me is that with the league so close to being sewn up there is a real opportunity to bring him off the bench in some of the remaining league games to have a good look at him.

I wouldn't say it's all that close. We need to win 5/8 games with some difficult fixtures thrown in, and United having Pogba back means they might actually break teams down now. I wouldn't be surprised if we only win it with 2 or 3 games to go, maybe even 1 or on the last day.

I wouldn't say it's all that close. We need to win 5/8 games with some difficult fixtures thrown in. I wouldn't be surprised if we only win it with 2 or 3 games to go, maybe even 1.
We win our next 4 and the rags have as much as a draw it's over. We could bring Delap into the squad for a game or two to see how he gets on quite easily.

I wouldn't say it's all that close. We need to win 5/8 games with some difficult fixtures thrown in, and United having Pogba back means they might actually break teams down now. I wouldn't be surprised if we only win it with 2 or 3 games to go, maybe even 1 or on the last day.
Public math(s)...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.