Dave Wagstaffe RIP

I was too young to see him play for City....but through his uncle, who was my dad's mate, he got us tickets for the Wolves/City League Cup Final....and I had one of his Wolves shirts too....classic long sleeved with round neck...

RIP

George Hannah said:
MEN has made a passing reference to this incident in 1963

waggy_zps6dd5da39.jpg

When I interviewed Waggy in April 2010 we talked about this. Here's my question and his answers:

Prior to this there was the small matter of a Manchester derby (15/5/63) which ended 1-1. Both sides were close to relegation, and Pat Crerand later went on record to say he punched you in the tunnel. What’s your view?

I think it might be impetuous youth. Jimmy Meadows used to tell me to hassle players and to get stuck in. This thing with Paddy Crerand. I must have upset him or something and we’re walking up the tunnel and he’s still in a rage. But I didn’t think he’d turn round and thump me one! We were walking up the tunnel and he was about three yards in front of me. I had my head down and I don’t know what was going through his mind but he must just have thought “I’ll hit him!” He turned round and did. I thought “what’s all that about.” I didn’t get it. I’d been involved with a few altercations on the pitch as you do, but I think he just lost it. I certainly never expected it.

Did it unsettle you?

Yeah, it did. I can’t remember much about the second half other than at one point I did a back pass and Denis Law, who was playing for them, intercepted it. Somehow Denis got a penalty as Dowd came towards him. It ended 1-1 and soon after we were relegated.

I think that I must have done something to rile Pat Crerand and a similar thing happened on another occasion with the great Bobby Moore. I niggled at him in a game and he ended up being sent off. I don’t think he’d ever been sent off before. I didn’t mean to wind him up but it happened.

He said a lot more than that but I've not got it all typed up. He talked as any City fan would about how Utd had treated him that day. I'll try and post more from the interview later today on my facebook.com/garyjames4

Gary James' full interview with Dave Wagstaffe from 2010 is on the site now:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/News/Article.aspx?id=368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/News/Article.aspx?id=368</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.