David Beckham

As Churchill once said about Beckham, "Never in the history of football, has so little talent, gone so far"
(Churchill the nodding dog not the fat bloke with the cigar)
ive never got the hype over bechham, he shone as a kid because he was a big lad who could kick it a long way

I watched the Beckham documentary, whilst trying to have an open mind....20 years ago. Thought he was great for England, couldn't stand the rags, and I wasn't a huge fan of Posh.

The documentary changed a few thoughts for me...
Posh actually comes out of it pretty well, in that she doesn't appear to he the stuck up bugger I thought she was, and basically followed her husband round the world trying to find schools for the kids.....albeit living a very luxurious life.

Beckham....wasn't as good as I remember, and once he left the rags, he was pretty unsuccessful despite the magnitude of the teams he played for. I even remember the free kick v Greece, was after 7 or 8 failed attempts...however he stood up when needed.
Clearly has OCD which he has struggled to deal with, and the late drives to see Posh, were obsessive to say the least.
The abuse he got after being sent off was beyond crazy, nobody should go through that, and probably lucky it was before social media took off ...although maybe all of the crap would have been over quicker....

That said, he doesn't come over as a bad sort as such...although the editing may be advantageous.... fair play, he didn't half maximise the Beckham brand.

It was a 5/10 for me...
Same here. I made myself sit through it. Noticeable about how ' the whole country/ 6pm main news etc' were behind the RedShyte quest for the Treble, marked contrast to the coverage we had. One thing I will say in Beckhams defence, we stayed at The LowryvHotel ( wedding anniversary gift from my parents) when the England team were there - be about 2003/04 when Wembley being rebuilt. Team went for a training session, loads of autograph hunters stood near the Inland Revenue office next to the Lowry. The only player, (and I am talking RugHead Rooney, Interesting Owen, David James etc) who actually took the time to acknowledge those fans and make a point of going to sign autographs for them was Beckham. Infact he delayed the coach he signed that many. So whilst I despised his team, I thought fair play to him. And actually some of today's players - and am also including some City guys here, would do well to acknowledge fans, give some eye contact and take those bloody headphones off and put their phones down. Fans pay wages, or at least contribute to them.

Haven't got a problem with Posh, think she does what she has to in order to protect the brand.

By all accounts, he's a decent family man (if you ignore Rebecca Loos),

Peter Sutcliffe was a good and punctual truck driver if you ignore the killings.

I'm kidding but I wouldn't exactly call someone a good family man if they cheat on their wife and they're in a position that it's going to be plastered all over the media and visible for years for their children to see.

Although I suppose there hasn't really been any stories since, he must have learned his lesson from that and I guess the lesson learned was more the fact that being David Beckham, there's a high chance It'll be exposed and not the lesson that cheating is immoral.

Beckham reminds me of that bloke in the film, Grown Ups, the one at the water park who approaches the wives, handsome, ripped and tanned, he then opens his squeaky gob and they all piss themselves laughing…

Those with kids will know the film and scene I’m on about :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.