David Conn on Abu Dhabi and Human Rights

Conn a Blue, my fucking arse. He's just another one who absolutely detests
the money involved in the game these days, and is trying to come over as
some sort of hero for other clubs fans. Fuck off, we're not bothered.

Funny how no one said anything when the Shiekh saved Barclays either.

No doubt a load of Guardian workers would have money in said bank

Whilst not condoning the suppression of human rights anywhere in the world , I don't think it's a good idea for we Brits to cast the first stone!
In my lifetime I have seen British governments arrest and imprison , without trial , our own citizens in Northern Ireland , a country where political and social unrest was met with massive military force.
I have seen British governments prepared to let businessmen go to prison because evidence that would have cleared them was deemed " too sensitive for public knowledge "and was sat on by politicians who would have been embarrassed by its release!
I have seen British governments colluding in the transportation of " political prisoners" to Guantanamo bay and other places presumably in the knowledge of the treatment that would be handed out, ie waterboarding and other assorted niceties. ( coincidentally , some well known British firms have been selling equipment such as electric cattle prods to various foreign government security forces - not farmers as far as I know). Let's not ask what they do with them!
Now we have accounts of police officers attempting to investigate and smear the friends and families of racial attacks instead of conducting proper enquiries into the original offences- oh and don't forget the organised smear campaign and cover- up over Hillsborough!
If you want to look for abuse of human rights mr conn just look out of your window ,

We should all be aware of and concerned about human rights abuses and the fact that we're City supporters shouldn't close our eyes to this. All the owners of the big clubs are dubious in some way or other.

The Glazers and their business practices, hiding behind tax havens and entities that restrict disclosure of their financial affairs.
At Arsenal there is Kroenke, part of the Walmart-owning family, a business which is notorious for its exploitation of its workforce. Then there's Usmanov, a friend of the Russian and Uzbek regimes, whose human rights abuses are worse than anything in Abu Dhabi.
Chelsea - for Abramovich see Usmanov.

Conn has written critical articles about all these. Why should he sacrifice his principles just because of the club he supports? It would be as hypocritical as the Catholic hierarchy protecting paedophile priests.

You could also look at it the other way and say that articles like this are more likely to embarrass the UAE and make them change their ways.

Conn and Shindler are two peas from the same pod - self-loathing Blues who crave us being crap but 'honest'. With friends like these, who needs enemies?

Prestwich_Blue said:
We should all be aware of and concerned about human rights abuses and the fact that we're City supporters shouldn't close our eyes to this. All the owners of the big clubs are dubious in some way or other.

The Glazers and their business practices, hiding behind tax havens and entities that restrict disclosure of their financial affairs.
At Arsenal there is Kroenke, part of the Walmart-owning family, a business which is notorious for its exploitation of its workforce. Then there's Usmanov, a friend of the Russian and Uzbek regimes, whose human rights abuses are worse than anything in Abu Dhabi.
Chelsea - for Abramovich see Usmanov.

Conn has written critical articles about all these. Why should he sacrifice his principles just because of the club he supports? It would be as hypocritical as the Catholic hierarchy protecting paedophile priests.

You could also look at it the other way and say that articles like this are more likely to embarrass the UAE and make them change their ways.

Well said PB, sums up my own thoughts on the subject.

PhuketBlue said:
I assume Russian and US owners will be subject to the same sort of press.

Unfortunately such press only applies to the Muslim owner. All the others are running such perfect and honest business models.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.