David Silva Central Role

BigOscar said:
Generally, I actually thought Silva was pretty outstanding last year, but got let down by the other players. Without Aguero and Mario for most of the year, he really didn't have anyone to play through balls to, only Zaba and occasionally Milner were making runs in behind. He needs runners, now we've got them in Jovetic and Navas and I expect him to devestate.

Personally, I don't think it matters where you position him on a teamsheet, he plays a free role anyway really. He drifts all over the place, coming deep and going out ot both wings, I think it's far more about who he has to link with
I remember in one of the tunnel cams, Silva was complaining to Aguero to drop deep and that he had no one to do 1-2's with...well he's going to love Jovetic whose linkup play and selflessness is a top asset.

I don't think any of our players are classical central midfield playmakers. Silva isn't. He's never sat in central midfield playing long and short passes. More of a floating attacking midfield player.

Absolutely pathetic to suggest he should play CM. #10 or wide, end of. We're not using three CMs anyway, but if we did it'd be disastrous to play Silva there. Poor balance in the side, no defensive nous in the role (although he does read the game very well and pick up many interceptions), and he's pretty immobile if we're going to be pressing hard. I'd much rather see Rodwell starting in midfield than Silva.

Silva is living on borrowed time IMO, in terms of being a shoe-in, regardless of signing a new contract.

I feel he's needed a rest and a degree of competition for at least 12 months.

In terms of this thread, much as it seems to make sense, Dave wouldn't contribute enough in terms of goals behind the striker than Jovetic.

Jovetic clearly doesn't prefer that wide left position, although think he would offer that flank a lot more protection than Silva.

Silva should definitely start in that central role but if he's not supplying the bullets, right from the off, he is a hindrance to the effectiveness of the entire team.

Crazy as it sounds.

Wait and see

I think a lot of our players will get their mojo back under MP

including David

During the 2011/12 season Silva was exceptional. It was always going to be difficult to continue that standard of play into the following season. I just felt last season on occasions his final ball let him down & seemed to affect his confidence.
I have a feeling this will be a good year with the new players around him, should have a better understanding with the Navas & Negrado.
Also its World Cup year & he will be looking to cement a starting roll with the Spanish team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.