David Silva...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Silva - best since Bell?

If City fans are talking about Silva and all our other fantastic players in 40 years time I may (if I was still alive) just concede a millimetre of ground.
I sincerely hope we will be, as it stands though CB is out on his own by a City mile... !

two completely different types of player colin bell was more in the gerrard style but imo better.

i`ve never seen a player able to receive a ball at any speed and have it immediately under control, brilliant at passing, dribbling and making space for himself and team mates

supercity88 said:
I think the difference is - if you were a team that was struggling which would you rather have? The answer is Bell. Why? Well because he can literally carry a team and win a game - I think Silva is a genius but in a struggling team he could put it on a plate time and time again but they still might not score, Bell could win the ball, run up the pitch and bury it in the back of the neck. Bell is to City what Gerrard has been for Liverpool. Silva is a luxury we can afford, and a class act but I think that would be the difference. The same reasoning as to why Ronaldo is better than Messi - because he can do it for club and country, regardless of the league and Messi has never shown his talent beyond the Barca shirt.

Did you know that Messi has scored more goals in less games for Argentina than Maradona? It's a bit of a myth that Messi hasn't played well at international level.

I remember the fantastic times in the late 60's when we were at the top of our game and winning everything, and I remember CB as being fantastic back then. But I was only 7 or so years old and honestly I think the rose coloured glasses may be putting a rosy shine on everything.

Would CB look so incredible in today's team? I am not sure he would. It's hard to think of a sport where the modern sportsman of today is not superior to those of a few decades back. With the better training, facilities, medical staff, diet and nutrition etc sportsmen today are usually better.

Chippy_boy said:
I remember the fantastic times in the late 60's when we were at the top of our game and winning everything, and I remember CB as being fantastic back then. But I was only 7 or so years old and honestly I think the rose coloured glasses may be putting a rosy shine on everything.

Would CB look so incredible in today's team? I am not sure he would. It's hard to think of a sport where the modern sportsman of today is not superior to those of a few decades back. With the better training, facilities, medical staff, diet and nutrition etc sportsmen today are usually better.
If he was in the team against Barca they would have been fucked as you say you were only 7, it wasn't your specs mate just the best cherish the memory he was that good.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I have seen numerous threads in the past talking about where the likes of Yaya and Aguero stand in terms of greatness, alongside Bell and such, all more than valid.

I would just like to state in my 30 years of watching City, I have never seen a player as good as David Silva.

I've have heard all the pros and cons, he doesn't score enough goals etc.

His performance against Barcelona the other night was the greatest, most technically perfect performance I have seen from anyone in a City shirt.

His passing, his control under pressure, his ability to take the likes of Xavi and Iniesta out of the play with a turn of his body - absolutely majestic.

At Bayern, earlier this season and twice against Madrid, he was also the stand-out player on the pitch.

Bell was before my time, but up there with the King?

Technically he is as far as im concerned the best player i have ever seen in a City shirt. His ability to turn on a sixpence and dribble away from a defender is so beautiful to watch.Then his awareness, vision & passing is just top draw.
Coiln Bell was a fantastic player but alot different to Silva. He was a box to box midfielder, something you dont see these days and could run all day, the reason for the nick name Nijinsky and a better goalscorer.

jimbopm said:
Has to be Yaya for me sorry. I believe history will show him to be our most significant player in modern times. Remember, according to Garry Cook, there is no Silva without Yaya.
Yeah,course it's Yaya,he's the fuckin master !

It's a real pub type debate this one and it'll all come down to your age or how you like the game to be played?

I'm not old enough to remember Bell but i respect those that say how good he was at that period in our history.

If you like power and brute strength then Yaya is your man

If you like pace and finishing then Sergio is your man

but

If you like technical ability, finesse and vision then Silva is your man (i fall in to this category)
I want him to have the ball all the time because i love watching him play the game, it's the only way i can put in to words how good i think he is.
He reminds me of a small Zidane at times the way his feet caresses the ball and then he does that reverse inside ball, most people know it's coming but still fail to stop it.

Class player and long may he continue to wear our shirt

r.soleofsalford said:
two completely different types of player colin bell was more in the gerrard style but imo better.

i`ve never seen a player able to receive a ball at any speed and have it immediately under control, brilliant at passing, dribbling and making space for himself and team mates

This quote could be almost equally applicable to Colin Bell, David Silva or Yaya Toure.

Dave gets a little more exposure Yaya based on where he plays up the field.

All almost never gave the ball away... great awareness in crowded spaces. Bell wins hands down for stamina, but Yaya for strength. Yaya's and Dave's tight control is also incredible and a little better than Colin's.

As an all rounder Colin is the King. But when it comes to influencing games, Yaya for me does it though. He pips Silva with his finishing. He edges Bell just a **** hair with the timing and weight of his passes. Dave would be sorely missed, but not as much as King Yaya.

Danamy said:
It's a real pub type debate this one and it'll all come down to your age or how you like the game to be played?

I'm not old enough to remember Bell but i respect those that say how good he was at that period in our history.

If you like power and brute strength then Yaya is your man

If you like pace and finishing then Sergio is your man

but

If you like technical ability, finesse and vision then Silva is your man (i fall in to this category)
I want him to have the ball all the time because i love watching him play the game, it's the only way i can put in to words how good i think he is.
He reminds me of a small Zidane at times the way his feet caresses the ball and then he does that reverse inside ball, most people know it's coming but still fail to stop it.

Class player and long may he continue to wear our shirt
I reckon Yaya has plenty of technical ability and vision, however for me Silva just appears more 'silky/sublime/effortless'- don't know how else to say it.

Not bad for £24m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.