David Silva...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Silva - best since Bell?

Given how many contenders we seem to have in our current team for "Is he the greatest City player of all time?", and some would contend the greatest manager we have had, I am somewhat surprised we are currently sitting third in the league!!

Best player in this team and the one who's absence cost us big time the other night is Kun. Would be wanted by every team in the world were he available which thank god he is not.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
jimbopm said:
de niro said:
well discipline for one.

This is the same Yaya Toure that has only 1 red card in his career right?

Silva also has 1 Source Transfermarkt

If we are going to have a debate that's fair enough, but I beg people bring facts into it. Sorry If I sound a bit like Rafa!

I dont think he means discipline in that way mate

Well how does he mean then?<br /><br />-- Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:14 pm --<br /><br />
BoyBlue_1985 said:
jimbopm said:
de niro said:
well discipline for one.

If we are going to have a debate that's fair enough, but I beg people bring facts into it. Sorry If I sound a bit like Rafa!

Well how does he mean then?

jimbopm said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
jimbopm said:

-- Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:14 pm --

BoyBlue_1985 said:
jimbopm said:

I cant speak for the man but he cant mean in that way because well he would just be wrong and if he does he is just wrong

Blue Til Death said:
Shaelumstash said:
Great debate this, I was actually thinking about this after the Barca game. Bell was before my time, but it seems they were very different players.

Can I just ask those that have seen both - What would Silva have to do to be remembered as our greatest ever player?

If we went on to win multiple league and European titles and he carried on at this level for another 6 or 7 years, do you think he'd be remembered as the best player ever to play for the club?

Or do you think that because Bell was such a complete player and so influential, that Silva could never achieve that greatness?

I think in fairness its a generational thing, I'm fan from the Bell era and I think lots of fans like myself whilst acknowledging Silvia as a complete and utter genius cannot quite make the psychological jump to acknowledge that anyone else could possible be better than the King. In truth I just marvel at the little fella and rejoice in the fact that he is our player, with Colin Bell I feel he is Manchester City personified and that can never change.

This debate is not meant to be about whether anyone is better than Bell though. I grew up watching Bell so he will always hold a particularly special place in my views on City. Will I eventually say someone else is our greatest ever player? I have no doubt that one of our current crop is the best since Bell and I can allow for the possibility that I will view one or more as greater players for City but they still have some work to do.

I think the difference is - if you were a team that was struggling which would you rather have? The answer is Bell. Why? Well because he can literally carry a team and win a game - I think Silva is a genius but in a struggling team he could put it on a plate time and time again but they still might not score, Bell could win the ball, run up the pitch and bury it in the back of the neck. Bell is to City what Gerrard has been for Liverpool. Silva is a luxury we can afford, and a class act but I think that would be the difference. The same reasoning as to why Ronaldo is better than Messi - because he can do it for club and country, regardless of the league and Messi has never shown his talent beyond the Barca shirt.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
His passing, his control under pressure, his ability to take the likes of Xavi and Iniesta out of the play with a turn of his body - absolutely majestic.

At Bayern, earlier this season and twice against Madrid, he was also the stand-out player on the pitch.

If you anyone ever needed convincing, then read comments like this:

Silva is glorious.

Silva has been the best player on the pitch. Majestic footballer.

Silva really is something else.

Silva is incredible.

Silva has been the best player from either side

Silva, what a footballer!

Good lord silva is amazing!

Silva has been 10/10 tonight. What a player. Utterly world class and a level above Ozil and Mata.

I could go on.

And then you realise, these are comments from United supporters in the United forums. With Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and Neymar on the pitch, and the United fans say this. You just know how special he is.

supercity88 said:
I think the difference is - if you were a team that was struggling which would you rather have? The answer is Bell. Why? Well because he can literally carry a team and win a game - I think Silva is a genius but in a struggling team he could put it on a plate time and time again but they still might not score, Bell could win the ball, run up the pitch and bury it in the back of the net. Bell is to City what Gerrard has been for Liverpool. Silva is a luxury we can afford, and a class act but I think that would be the difference. The same reasoning as to why Ronaldo is better than Messi - because he can do it for club and country, regardless of the league and Messi has never shown his talent beyond the Barca shirt.

Yaya can do that ;-)

proudbear said:
In my opinion each of those players is pretty much the same on importance and each have been our 'best player'. All have been integral to our rise in different ways.

Kompany = Toure = Silva = Aguero.
Exactly, they're all brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.