David Silva...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Silva - best since Bell?

oakiecokie said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
I have seen numerous threads in the past talking about where the likes of Yaya and Aguero stand in terms of greatness, alongside Bell and such, all more than valid.

I would just like to state in my 30 years of watching City, I have never seen a player as good as David Silva.

I've have heard all the pros and cons, he doesn't score enough goals etc.

His performance against Barcelona the other night was the greatest, most technically perfect performance I have seen from anyone in a City shirt.

His passing, his control under pressure, his ability to take the likes of Xavi and Iniesta out of the play with a turn of his body - absolutely majestic.

At Bayern, earlier this season and twice against Madrid, he was also the stand-out player on the pitch.

Bell was before my time, but up there with the King?

NO,NO,NO,NO !! Sorry Tolm but The King was virtually the complete player.His strength was his stamina and I`ve never seen one player since then that could match the guy. He was the original "box to box" player.His heading ability was far greater than Davids (in fact there is no comparison) as was his pace.As a midfielder he scored far more goals that David could dream about.
He could spray a ball about the park effortlessly and see players from any direction.However for me his weakest point was his tackling,but hey we had enough of those with Oakes,Doyle,Watson etc.
Don`t get me wrong I love DS and yes his display the other night was superb.IMO Davids strength is his ability to thread a ball through a needles eye and for me he is of the best at that in world football.
Sorry if you feel I`m being a bit harsh on David,but I suppose there`s no real comparison,as two slightly different players but both have/had their considerable strengths.
I`m so glad that I have been lucky to see both players in the flesh and even more delighted that both have worn the Sky Blue shirts !!
No need to apologise,Bell was in a different league to Silva in every aspect.Apart from Peter Doherty,the best City player ever.

Great debate this, I was actually thinking about this after the Barca game. Bell was before my time, but it seems they were very different players.

Can I just ask those that have seen both - What would Silva have to do to be remembered as our greatest ever player?

If we went on to win multiple league and European titles and he carried on at this level for another 6 or 7 years, do you think he'd be remembered as the best player ever to play for the club?

Or do you think that because Bell was such a complete player and so influential, that Silva could never achieve that greatness?

Greatest I've seen for technique and footy brain, allied to hard work.

Started supporting in '87 so beats Neil McNab (bless him) hands down.

It's quite nice to be arguing over which of our players is best - is it Yaya, Silva, Kompany, Aguero ?
Answer: they are all incredible and capable of regular acts of genius.

If our opponents at the weekend were having this debate, they would be asking themselves whether Charlie Adam is more effective than Peter Crouch.

de niro said:
jimbopm said:
I can't believe those who say Yaya isn't as gifted as Silva. Name me one thing that Silva can do that Yaya can't.

well discipline for one.

This is the same Yaya Toure that has only 1 red card in his career right?

Silva also has 1 Source Transfermarkt

If we are going to have a debate that's fair enough, but I beg people bring facts into it. Sorry If I sound a bit like Rafa!

Shaelumstash said:
Great debate this, I was actually thinking about this after the Barca game. Bell was before my time, but it seems they were very different players.

Can I just ask those that have seen both - What would Silva have to do to be remembered as our greatest ever player?

If we went on to win multiple league and European titles and he carried on at this level for another 6 or 7 years, do you think he'd be remembered as the best player ever to play for the club?

Or do you think that because Bell was such a complete player and so influential, that Silva could never achieve that greatness?

I think in fairness its a generational thing, I'm fan from the Bell era and I think lots of fans like myself whilst acknowledging Silvia as a complete and utter genius cannot quite make the psychological jump to acknowledge that anyone else could possible be better than the King. In truth I just marvel at the little fella and rejoice in the fact that he is our player, with Colin Bell I feel he is Manchester City personified and that can never change.

Colin was everything to me best player ever to play for City , Kun the best striker, Silva my favourite player now, no one can be compared to Colin , never seen his like since, simply the complete footballer in every way

jimbopm said:
de niro said:
jimbopm said:
I can't believe those who say Yaya isn't as gifted as Silva. Name me one thing that Silva can do that Yaya can't.

well discipline for one.

This is the same Yaya Toure that has only 1 red card in his career right?

Silva also has 1 Source Transfermarkt

If we are going to have a debate that's fair enough, but I beg people bring facts into it. Sorry If I sound a bit like Rafa!

I dont think he means discipline in that way mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.