David Silva

We always look better with a fit Silva in that role IMO. He was superb in that role at the start of the season until he picked up his injury. I remember the Newcastle home game where we started with KDB central and Silva wide and were 2nd best until Pellegrini switched them around and we then absolutely battered them.

I must confess I don't see a big future for Silva under Pep. Maybe a bit part one or one where he's a 'squad' player but not someone I see as central to Pep's planning for next season. Not sure how he can be with such a brittle injury record and a penchant for lying down when the going gets tough.

With regards De Bruyne it's a no brainer for me - he's a better and more effective number 10. In many respects because of their ages, anyway you'd want Pep building his side around De Bruyne.

I must confess I don't see a big future for Silva under Pep. Maybe a bit part one or one where he's a 'squad' player but not someone I see as central to Pep's planning for next season. Not sure how he can be with such a brittle injury record and a penchant for lying down when the going gets tough.

With regards De Bruyne it's a no brainer for me - he's a better and more effective number 10. In many respects because of their ages, anyway you'd want Pep building his side around De Bruyne.

He may well go down that route, especially with KDB being the younger player. Personally I'd always have Silva in that role when he is fit enough. KDB will get the goals but Silva is the better all round player IMO. I believe KDB can be equally as effective from a wide position as he tends to drift in anyway.

He may well go down that route, especially with KDB being the younger player. Personally I'd always have Silva in that role when he is fit enough. KDB will get the goals but Silva is the better all round player IMO. I believe KDB can be equally as effective from a wide position as he tends to drift in anyway.

Yeah I don't see that. I think KDB is wasted out wide and tends to drift out of games quickly when put in that position. He's lethal centrally, and i'm not sure how Silva could be the all round better player when he can't touch De Bruyne's numbers and is physically weaker and less robust than him too.

The interesting thing is that Pep has historically rarely used a number 10. He tends to stick to 433/451 rather than 4231. The third central midfielder in the 433 is the role that I think would be up for grabs for Silva/KDB and potentially even Nasri. Of the three I think Silva's the least suited to that role.

I suppose he could try the 3412 that he used when Fabregas first joined Barca to try and utilise a number 10 in that fashion. Going to be very very interesting to see with the time that Pep has what kind of systems he tries in pre season and what we start next season with.

We have a thread running on here where some fans are giving Fernando the benefit of doubt. We have this thread where Silva is being written off by some fans.

You guys crack me up.

"lying down when the going gets tough" I've heard some shite, mainly from that poster but fuck me that's rich. He gets kicked continuously throughout the game. He gets no protection from refs and more importantly from his team mates who stand and watch. Up until this last injury he never looked like lying down. He's a tenacious little fucker who has to stand up for himself and does so.
He may, may not be a certainty for the 10 role next year but he's most certainly going to be part of Peps plans because like I said yesterday, he's not an idiot.

We have a thread running on here where some fans are giving Fernando the benefit of doubt. We have this thread where Silva is being written off by some fans.

You guys crack me up.

It's not really about writing him off. I suspect he'll stay another season I just don't think he'll be as central to Pep's plans as KDB will. Silva still has plenty to offer as a footballer even if injuries have caught up with him in the last couple of seasons. There's a tendency amongst supporters to get overly sentimental about players who have been as special as David, which I understand. But Pep's not going to have that sentimentality, he's going to simply be looking to put the best team out that he can.

Has better ball retention, is more accurate with passing and finds space better than De Bruyne. De Bruyne wins with all other technical and physical attributes.

A personally don't see a reason for this either/or scenario though. I want them to play together.

Agree with Billy that there is a deeper role up for grabs, but disagree Silva is less suited. I think he's the one from Kdb/Nasri that I'd have there. I'd turn David into an Iniesta/Xavi type role, but he needs a Busquets behind him.

Kdb is more direct and needs to be further up.

Can we have a front three of Aguero, Sterling and KdB? Whoever is central is almost a false 9, and they wouldn't be rigid. I'd have them swapping. Pep likes his forwards to be rigid, but there's nothing to say the positions can be rigid and the personnel can by dynamic. Let the three of them choose which position based on the different scenarios in the game.

I dont want Kdb wide but id prefer him there than a deeper midfield, Iniesta type role. Perfect for David for the next few years IMO.

Spot on. Silva has had a poor season (by his high standards) but I would love to see him start as a '10' next season.
KDB looks excellent, but he's more flexible in his effectiveness. However I feel Silva dictates the tempo at his fittest and best. Not sure he's been either, this last season.

i'm not sure how Silva could be the all round better player when he can't touch De Bruyne's numbers and is physically weaker and less robust than him too.

He is a better passer, better at retaining the ball, better vision, more tenacious and tries to get stuck in more despite his size. KDB is clearly better in front of goal and has more pace and stamina.

A fit Silva is the better player IMO (not the Silva of most of this season). The difficulty is in keeping him fit.

Anyway It will be interesting to see what Guardiola comes up with in terms of formation and player selection. I'm hoping those that stay get a clean slate and the chance to show what they can do under his leadership along with 5 or 6 new faces.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.