De Jong, it pains me

Van Persie doesn't seem to have any issues playing most games now for someone who had major injury concerns for sometime in the past.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
To say this, I have remained steadfast in my belief that Nigel is integral to how we try to play.

His recent injuries aside, however, I saw for the first time last night that Nigel looked a little short of what was required on the night.

I love his determination and ability to keep things simple, but he did look lost and his inability to hold on to the ball for longer than a couple of seconds, gifting the ball for Napoli's second, summed up a dog shit performance in general.

He looked small and irrelevant in the wider spaces around him, meaning Yaya got far too many little touches in the wrong areas for him to affect the game in the final third.

Yaya was almost acting as safety net for Nige, which no team, certainly one with the talent we have, can afford to carry passengers on such a stage.

Nigel wins the ball, he gives it, we all know that.

But against top class opposition, when you are forced to play without the ball, I'm not so sure he gives the opponents anything to ponder.

It's been mentioned on here about the failings of the full-backs on the night, but we never had the midfield.

IMO Roberto did our midfield no favours by also picking Dzeko as an extra attacker, but thought the challenge was made for Barry last night.

He would have kept possession a lot better and longer, earning hbis fair share of free-kicks to take the pressure off?

Sorry Nige!

I agree Ndj did look lost last night, but i like to think that was because of a system he wasn't used to(same players as last year, but different way of playing). Last year we played a defencive 4231(and was my player of the year), this season we have been playing lots of different versions and Ndj not up to speed on that,yet! I'd also like to say Napoli played very well and isolated him, last night it wasn't wave after wave of attacks that could be broken up by Ndj, it was clever Italian football that also denied Dzeco and Yaya(through the middle), our fullbacks didn't perform to their best either. It could of so easily been a different score with a bit of luck!<br /><br />-- Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:17 am --<br /><br />
thomasobDK said:
lets face it, european top football is a very different game from premier league football.
both games against napoli and the game against bayern showed that we need to have players with other skills than it takes in the premier league. players like lescott and dejong have no place when we play fast counterattacking sides that can keep hold of the ball and pass it quickly to pacy attackers.

lescott and dejong is great against physical strong sides, but yesterday they were overmatched, and mancini should have known better taking the home game into consideration.

however i am not sure barry would have been a better option defensively, as he is also quite slow. he would have been better at keeping the ball though.

in hindsight perhaps we should have had yaya and milner protecting the back 4, it would have given us a bit more pace in the middle.

am not even going into whether we should have played clichy and richards yesterday, that was an obvious mistake.

i feel we lack a faster defensive midfielder and a quicker better ball-handling central defender when we play these kind of games, or we are going to have these problems everytime....

I can see what ur saying, but i don't think everytime we have a setback we should think we need to buy or change players. I think we have the quality here already, and maybe a bit of European experience together as a team will strengthen us for nexy year! Touch wood!

De Jong has been very impressive in the last four games, all of which he's started after struggling for a place beforehand. To me he looks pretty much back to his best now and our aggregate score in the last four games has been 10-1, which might open the eyes of those who say he kills our attacking game. Mancini is visibly acknowledging his return to form by continuing to play him while Milner remains sat on the bench a lot.

LoveCity said:
De Jong has been very impressive in the last four games, all of which he's started after struggling for a place beforehand. To me he looks pretty much back to his best now and our aggregate score in the last four games has been 10-1, which might open the eyes of those who say he kills our attacking game. Mancini is visibly acknowledging his return to form by continuing to play him while Milner remains sat on the bench a lot.

Agree with most of that. It kills me sometimes that even the "Heavyweight" posters from the Forum try and pick a best Eleven.

It's a squad game these days -Like most I prefer Clichy to Kolorov but how good was Kolorov today, and AJ - the Forums other whipping boy.

I know Bburn didn't put up much of a fight, but to keep ball retention as much as we did without Barry and Nasri, 2 of our best at keeping the ball, shows you the brilliance of Mancini's system.

ifiwasarichfan said:
LoveCity said:

Agree with most of that. It kills me sometimes that even the "Heavyweight" posters from the Forum try and pick a best Eleven.

It's a squad game these days -Like most I prefer Clichy to Kolorov but how good was Kolorov today, and AJ - the Forums other whipping boy.
difference is AJ starts bad ,might as well play with 10 as we as fans would put more effort in

ifiwasarichfan said:
LoveCity said:

correct. the days of the 1st eleven are gone. love the way bobby rotates and gives players opportunities to show their worth.
no complaints from any player about being in/out of the team. they accept his decision and dont sulk.
the contributions of milner,johnson,kolorov and zabba have been invaluable to the title push..they all get plenty of game time and appear ready to step up to the plate when called upon. great squad management.

Be all and end all is Kolarov was the city player who unlocked them today when others couldn't - Robinson handed us the second and the two goals we made were both sublime crosses. It is not the first time either qpr for example a world class cross got us the win. His free kicks too are deadly. Whipping boy he may be but he had got us goals That could be the difference between first and second and his pact crosses are undefendable and can get us goals when silva, nasri, johnson, aguero etc have failed. Dzeko too is a goalscorer and the fact he scored every 120 mins and gets stick is amazing

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.