De Jong, it pains me

De Jong against Blackburn for me is a strange choice due to the fact he is not needed against a team that have no possesion of the ball. Easily played another attacking player yesterday. That said he played well enough but wasnt exactly needed

Definitely improved over the last month. I still think perhaps hes a little 1 dimensional for us in the future but I would be more than happy if he stayed with us (provided he was happy about not starting every game)

he's starting to play as he does in an orange shirt. that's a good thing, and he can always revert to playing the destroyer just ahead of the back four when necessary.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
De Jong against Blackburn for me is a strange choice due to the fact he is not needed against a team that have no possesion of the ball. Easily played another attacking player yesterday. That said he played well enough but wasnt exactly needed
I was surprised to see him start, because I thought we'd get a lot of the ball and would need to be a creative as possible, but he was excellent and his passing was very good.

There's a tendency to see certain players as being experts in one particular role, and to be useless at everything else eg Kolarov can smack a ball, and cross like Roberto Carlos, and "do nothing else" and De Jong can tackle, and that's it. But he started out at Ajax and played as a forward so he has a lot more to his game. Today we saw that.

We've also stopped conceding the odd goal since he came back into the team. He snuffs out danger when teams break on us

Back to his best, which im glad to see. Couple of crunching tackles and better range of passing than Ive ever seen from him. One through ball he made yesterday was silva-esque.

Dont think the OP really took into account that it can take players a while to hit top form after injuries....think Nige is back now and I hope we sign him up for a new deal as he's top class when on his game.

BoyBlue_1985 said:

Bobby is always going to play someone who's there specifically to protect the defence though. Have we ever played without either Barry or Nige?? And with the two full-backs getting forward as much as they did yesterday, it was totally what Vinny and Joleon needed around them for those just in case moments and also because we build from the back so much.

I was very pleased with his performance, I hope he signs a new contract and stays with us for a few more years. He won't always be first on the team sheet but he's too good to be sold to one of our rivals. He's hit form at just the right time for us and i can see him being a regular starter now for the rest of the season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.