De Jong

Dax777 said:
de niro said:
bang on the money.
Actually this is not bang on the money. And their is a fact checker to use. He had games in which he was fantastic. Example City v. Newcastle at home. Where he was everywhere doing a yo man's job. And the stats support this. And he has games where he was nondescript. And often the stats show this too.

Yes, the stats can't show how he supports a defender and force a player to go back, and it can't show the levels of danger we were in on different tackles and interceptions. The stats can't show a lot of things. But to assume all the things the stat doesn't show, only favor De Jong is laughably childish. Considering the stat don't show this for the other players too.

But from the little the stats show, we can easily dissuade ourselves from the belief that De Jong does so much more than Barry. The stats consistently shows this not to be the case. Startling enough, in a lot of those early games, barry wasn't even getting consistent playing time. He'd be fobbed on around the 60th to 75th minute, and yet have a stat line just as good as De Jong, and sometimes better. If nothing else that is telling. If Barry can statistically match or even compare to DeJong in 30 minutes of play. How can he be considered so much worse off, if not a function of bias.

Have you ever actually seen a game apart from on the tele because if you have you would notice De Jong does alot more than you give him credit.

billy_big_spuds said:
Before the start of this season he did this all the time, and it really griped me. This season up until his injury, he became more adventurous and dynamic with his play, but the last two games he has gone back into sideways and backwards man. Come on Nige, you're better than this.

This comports with what I saw the last 2 games. De Jong slowing down play by making poor decisions, when there were better decisions to be made.

I can't believe what I'm reading on this thread! Dejong is one of our better consistant performers, gives 100% every game, breaks up opposition play very well and gives the ball to Silva who weaves his magic.

Get a grip.........we're 3rd, playing Chelsea next to try for a last title push!!!! CTID

De Jong tended to pass back to Lescott most of the time last night, it wasn't helpful.

He is nothing like Flitcroft though, he was far more attacking.

ManCityTom said:
Dax777 said:
Actually this is not bang on the money. And their is a fact checker to use. He had games in which he was fantastic. Example City v. Newcastle at home. Where he was everywhere doing a yo man's job. And the stats support this. And he has games where he was nondescript. And often the stats show this too.

Yes, the stats can't show how he supports a defender and force a player to go back, and it can't show the levels of danger we were in on different tackles and interceptions. The stats can't show a lot of things. But to assume all the things the stat doesn't show, only favor De Jong is laughably childish. Considering the stat don't show this for the other players too.

But from the little the stats show, we can easily dissuade ourselves from the belief that De Jong does so much more than Barry. The stats consistently shows this not to be the case. Startling enough, in a lot of those early games, barry wasn't even getting consistent playing time. He'd be fobbed on around the 60th to 75th minute, and yet have a stat line just as good as De Jong, and sometimes better. If nothing else that is telling. If Barry can statistically match or even compare to DeJong in 30 minutes of play. How can he be considered so much worse off, if not a function of bias.

Have you ever actually seen a game apart from on the tele because if you have you would notice De Jong does alot more than you give him credit.
No, I haven't seen a game outside of the tele this season. I live in the states. But that not withstanding, what don't I give him credit for?

This is a narrow question really, albeit many try to muddle it with tangentially related points. And There are really 2 questions:

What does City move the ball to slowly in midfield?
Who are those responsible for the slowness?
To those questions I add a parameter "in the last 2 games" as these were the games in which I particularly commented on this effect.

I believe De Jong was a big part of the slowing down of play. Especially against 2 teams that particularly were uninterested in an open game: Reading and Kiev.

Thus, I am not speaking about De Jong's talents in general (although to point out the bias held by many, i have dabbled in the comparison of De Jong to the often Maligned Barry using stats). But really, this isn't about De Jong's overall competence. Just as to the issue of a slowed down play.

So when you say I don't give him enough credit, it assumes I am discussing him as a whole. Which i am not. Just his role or lackthereof in our slowed down movement.

Dax777 said:
ManCityTom said:
No, I haven't seen a game outside of the tele this season. I live in the states. But that not withstanding, what don't I give him credit for?

This is a narrow question really, albeit many try to muddle it with tangentially related points. And There are really 2 questions:

What does City move the ball to slowly in midfield?
Who are those responsible for the slowness?
To those questions I add a parameter "in the last 2 games" as these were the games in which I particularly commented on this effect.

I believe De Jong was a big part of the slowing down of play. Especially against 2 teams that particularly were uninterested in an open game: Reading and Kiev.

Thus, I am not speaking about De Jong's talents in general (although to point out the bias held by many, i have dabbled in the comparison of De Jong to the often Maligned Barry using stats). But really, this isn't about De Jong's overall competence. Just as to the issue of a slowed down play.

So when you say I don't give him enough credit, it assumes I am discussing him as a whole. Which i am not. Just his role or lackthereof in our slowed down movement.
We have knocked it about slowly for weeks.. when DJ was injured, so he isn't the unknown variable in your equation, pal.
If we knew the answer to question 2, then we'd have won the league by now.

I guess the game's about opinions, but I really dispair at some. In my own humble opinion, Nige is THE best around at his role. I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

Joycee Banercheck said:
We have knocked it about slowly for weeks.. when DJ was injured, so he isn't the unknown variable in your equation, pal.
If we knew the answer to question 2, then we'd have won the league by now.
And I don't blame De Jong for that either. But in the last 2 games, he seems to have been a prominent reason. The player(s) bogging down quick ball movement may change from week to week. The fallacy i here is that it always has to be someone in particular, A person who's demotion will change things. Sometimes it is just a guy you like too. In the last 2 games it was De Jong. There was a tine at the height of Tevez goalscoring orgy, when he, Tevez, was mostly at fault for the bogdown. Doesn't mean we should get rid of Tevez. Just simply means, he played a significant role.

The unfortunate reaction from most fans is to find a way to blame it on players they don't like. I.e. if say they like Dzeko and he is not scoring, they argue SWP and AJ don't give him enough balls. If Tevez is going into midfield and holding up play, they claim it is because the midfielders are not doing there jobs, so he is frustrated and force to come to the middle. Similarly you must have seen arguments claiming it is because Yaya and Milner are not doing there jobs, that is why De Jong slows play down. :(

These are the reactions I fight against. Everyone should take their own part in the problem, regardless of affection.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.