De Jong

Dax777 said:
Joycee Banercheck said:
I agree with your last sentence. Ultimately it is a team game and if the whole team doesn't perform then you'll never see the full potential of it bear fruit.

As far as I'm concerned, our defence is sorted. But, and here's where it annoys me, other teams seem to be able to use more than one outlet when they attack. We don't just yet. We do knock it sideways and backwards as if were playing in Serie A. I can't tell you if that is what the players are told to do, or if they do that off their own backs. It's so obvious that it doesn't really get us anywhere when we do it. In fact, the biggest gripe on here (other than Mario at the minute) would possibly be the way we attack teams - some say it is too slow and others say it is patient possession football. I'm of the former opinion, but hope that RM gets another season at least to make this team his own. I do like controlling games, but there is a time and a place for playing square and going for a goal. If we ever find the answer to your second question in the previous post then we'll have cracked it! Fingers crossed we get it nailed asap.

I tend to think Ball possession in the middle and final 3rd of the field is a good thing. It is mentally debilitating for the opposition. However, Ball possession in the initial 3rd of the field isn't. As it tells the opposition, you are bereft of ideas.

Unfortunately we often discuss all 3 together, which muddles the issue. The lack of distinction between the 3 phases is a big part of the disconnect between those who argue that it's good possession, and those who argue it is no bite.

Yesterday, we possessed the ball some in the 2nd and final 3rd of the field. And thus possession was good in that sense. And chances increased due to it. But we also had periods of bereft play (where we were unable to get it out of the first 3rd) it is in that respect, that I faulted De Jong for not being a bit more assertive or decisive in his decision making.

I have made an argument in the past, that their is a difference in how folks in England view football, and how those on the continent and farther off view it. But that is a long and different topic.

It is my opinion that we are constantly disjointed, a problem not necessarily specific to any individual player, but more so one of different players having a different conception of how to play the game. Tevez likes individually dispossessing defenders of the ball from the top by hassling players. Silva likes double teaming. Yaya likes crowding areas and leaving little space. Micah likes squeezing into the middle and leaving space on the outside. Kompany, Zab and De Jong likes closing down early. Lescott likes forcing players to the side line. Our players all have uniquely different tendencies, that continues to cause frictions and gaps in our play both defensively and offensively. So often our discussions barely scratch the surface.

But even within those discussion parameters, it does us no good playing favorites!
I'm not sure it is favourites that is the cause of any issues. We, as fans, have no say in who gets picked. Jo is testament to that fact (although I like the lad). Mancini will pick who he has at his disposal and all the while he will be thinking at least a game ahead to keep his squad fresh (and a game every few days needs that).

To hit on the defensive 3rd of play seems like a good start. Yet we have to knock it around the back to get the opposition to move forward so that we can then exploit the space or gaps that them coming forward leaves. Kiev came to us yesterday with a 2 goal advantage, knowing we'd have to press and that if they defended staunchly (and dived a round a lot) it'd stifle us. It isn't hard to stifle us though (which is why I'm glad AJ is back from injury too). It's all a tactical battle really - and I'll confess that a tactical argument bores me and you might be best off speaking to the Football Manager types that frequent here. It's good to see someone exhausting all avenues to get a good background and basis for a discussion, though. So please stick around.

Joycee Banercheck said:
I'm not sure it is favourites that is the cause of any issues. We, as fans, have no say in who gets picked. Jo is testament to that fact (although I like the lad). Mancini will pick who he has at his disposal and all the while he will be thinking at least a game ahead to keep his squad fresh (and a game every few days needs that).

To hit on the defensive 3rd of play seems like a good start. Yet we have to knock it around the back to get the opposition to move forward so that we can then exploit the space or gaps that them coming forward leaves. Kiev came to us yesterday with a 2 goal advantage, knowing we'd have to press and that if they defended staunchly (and dived a round a lot) it'd stifle us. It isn't hard to stifle us though (which is why I'm glad AJ is back from injury too). It's all a tactical battle really - and I'll confess that a tactical argument bores me and you might be best off speaking to the Football Manager types that frequent here. It's good to see someone exhausting all avenues to get a good background and basis for a discussion, though. So please stick around.

Intend to :)

One of my favourite De Jong performances. He has been instrumental in all of our great results against Chelsea lately, bossing the all-important midfield battle. Hopefully he can do the same this weekend even though Chelsea are "due" a win over us.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lYRNEfFDw0[/youtube]

salfordblues said:
De Jong haters. Any comment on that video posted by LoveCity?

I don't think there's any "Haters".
The thread is about him not being able to pass forward not how good he is.
I've always said barry is a far better player and easily our most important midfielder not including silva, dosn't mean I hate De Jong we need him too.

20sbc07 said:
salfordblues said:
De Jong haters. Any comment on that video posted by LoveCity?

I don't think there's any "Haters".
The thread is about him not being able to pass forward not how good he is.
I've always said barry is a far better player and easily our most important midfielder not including silva, dosn't mean I hate De Jong we need him too.

Laughable.The stats (see my earlier post) show that when Nige De Jong doesn't play this has a massive impact on the game. 6 out of 9 defeats this season he has been injured. You're telling me that's a coincidence? The stats speak for themselves.

Sky Blue said:
nashark said:
Please let this be a joke.

Who exactly does De Jong have available in front of him?

Do we just lump it forward because some of you are to idiotic to understand that football is about possession?

Do you think De Jong is in the team to lump it forward?

Are the people moaning about De Jong the same nobheads sat in front of me whose tactical knowledge amounts to shouting "forward" every time a player has the ball?

The chances are, if you have ever shouted "forwards" (the most moronic thing to say at a football ground) in anything other than the final minutes, you know fuck all about football.
I'm with you two.can't believe how fuckin clueless people are on here!
Great post....the cunts really have taken over the asylum.

The problem with bluemoon is that NDJ could go for a kip at start of the game wake up at final whistle and people would still say he was the best player on pitch. No realism on his performances and when someone DARES to say he was crap people jump on them

Get bored off the bollocks talked on this forum

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.