Deal agreed with Bayern Munich for Leroy Sane - €60m (including add-ons)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You build loyalty by treating people well, not scaring them.

I agree with pulling the plug on the Sanchez deal, that's mutual loyalty, the club showing players like De Bruyne, Aguero, Silva and Sterling that we value them and their hard work more than someone coming in and having proved nothing. That's again how you build loyalty.

I think you are still missing my overall point mate?

Players always do what is best for them, not their clubs.

If Sane is able to achieve his objective through his methods, then it also sends a message to other players that they can do likewise as the club have already had their pants pulled down before.

Of course you build loyalty through relationships, but that relationship suddenly because more one-sided if the player wants to run down their contract or wants out at the first missed opportunity to play in the Champions League.

I think players often feel that they can dictate when the come and go. I guess in a way I'm reacting to your earlier point "You build loyalty by treating people well, not by scaring them".

The flip side of that is that if you treat someone well, and then they take the piss, then you are entitled to play hardball. Telling Leroy that he won't be sold to Bayern because they have dragged this out in public and have tried to drive the price of the transfer down, sends a message right through the squad. And not at all a bad one in my opinion.
That's lowering yourself to their standard.

Put it into another scenario. If a man/woman cheats on you, you don't go and cheat on them to hurt them, you just walk away and let your family & friends see who has more loyalty and integrity. If you behave like a ****, everyone else will think you're just as big a **** as them and they'd be quite right too.

Loyalty, trust and respect is built by being the better person/club in all situations, good and bad, not just ones when it suits you.

If Sane is able to achieve his objective through his methods, then it also sends a message to other players that they can do likewise as the club have already had their pants pulled down before.

Of course you build loyalty through relationships, but that relationship suddenly because more one-sided if the player wants to run down their contract or wants out at the first missed opportunity to play in the Champions League.
No, I fully understand your point, I just disagree. This isn't about Sane and Bayern, it's about City's long term future and showing the players who are here that we'll treat them respectfully even if they do want to leave.

That creates an open and honest culture, players can then come and tell the club if they want to leave, so we can help them. Most people aren't ****s, just because one or two are that shouldn't affect your treatment of everyone else. Most people/players will want to do good by the club as well as leave, very few actually want to leave on bad terms. If the odd one still wants to behave like a ****, they're best out of the club as quickly as possible so they can't affect the overall morale, even if that means taking a short term financial hit to a degree (by accepting a slightly lower fee than you usually would, not allowing someone to leave on a free transfer or something silly).

That's lowering yourself to their standard.

Put it into another scenario. If a man/woman cheats on you, you don't go and cheat on them to hurt them, you just walk away and let your family & friends see who has more loyalty and integrity. If you behave like a ****, everyone else will think you're just as big a **** as them and they'd be quite right too.

Loyalty, trust and respect is built by being the better person/club in all situations, good and bad, not just ones when it suits you.

Imho that’s a poor comparison to illustrate the point - unless a person is gonna act like that as a show to every other potential suitor out there, and in your example they aren’t doing that.
You aren’t addressing the need to set an example to the rest of the squad, to create the right culture inside the club.

Imho that’s a poor comparison to illustrate the point - unless a person is gonna act like that as a show to every other potential suitor out there, and in your example they aren’t doing that.
You aren’t addressing the need to set an example to the rest of the squad, to create the right culture inside the club.
You're leading by example by simply behaving with integrity, it's not complicated.

anyone who says sane isn't good enough for city, hasn't got a clue, he can destroy packed defences, hes brilliant on the counter and his goals and assists are up there were we want them to be , I get people are disappointed that he wants away, but to then suggest he isn't good enough anyway seems a bit desperate.

I hope he signs a new contract, i don't think he will, and when or if he leaves ill wish him the best of bad luck with his new team.(results, not injury)

Fully agree, I hate those people who go for interviews and getting a new job, hand in there notice just to get a pay rise instead of working hard and earning one.

You're leading by example by simply behaving with integrity, it's not complicated.

But “everyone else”, ie every potential future partner out there, wouldn’t know you’d been cheated on.

I understand the point you’re making about City, but to compare it to how an individual might behave after the being the victim of infidelity is a really poor comparison. I think you’re complicating it by trying to use that example.

If Leroy's agent has any sense he will now run down his contract , less than 12 months left and he could get a eight figure sigining on fee next summer , its only another six months and he will be able to talk to other clubs , similar to Milner i think he will string us along and leave on a free transfer.

In normal circumstances that would be the right thing to do but Sane played very little last season, he hasn't played this season and it’s likely he would not get much game time next season if he sits tight - I’m not sure taking almost 3 years out is a good move for Sane but I guess it depends what motivates Leroy and his agent?

But “everyone else”, ie every potential future partner out there, wouldn’t know you’d been cheated on.

I understand the point you’re making about City, but to compare it to how an individual might behave after the being the victim of infidelity is a really poor comparison. I think you’re complicating it by trying to use that example.
Oh I agree it's a poor comparison, no doubt in that but the principle still stands. Private or public, it doesn't matter, the clubs behaviour shouldn't change. You behave with integrity no matter who sees it or who doesn't, otherwise it's pretencious bollocks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.