Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundo(or Bernie) out and Rice in isn't an improvement.

Or

As no-one actually knows the thinking behind bringing him in(positionally/role in team). The only claim regarding him improving us you can say with your chest is he's better than Phillips.

We don't know that we will be playing the same way.

If pep is planning on going flat back four with a double pivot, then rice offers something those two don't. He bring physicality those two don't have and more of a defence focused game. We have been evolving from the 17-18 season where we were a team of under 6 footer to a team of giants with technical ability.

For the record, rice wouldn't be my pick, but if pep specifically wants him then he has a plan and that's good enough for me.

I agree with the sentiment but Rice imo is not the player to be stamping our authority on. I know if Pep fancies him then whodafuk am I to disagree right? I'm just a fan at the end of the day. But classic threads like De Rossi, Hazard, Kaka, Isco....to this....feels much more of a 'not arsed either way' type of signing than any of those.

Of course, I could never have predicted Ake or Akanji to be instrumental in a treble winning campaign either, so there is always that, but then they were not at the expense of other alternative marquee signings either.
Not forgetting alvarez who is now a QUADRUPLE winner, i love the way ake has come along.

Hopeulfully we can get this over the line and then Brighton will really bend over arsenal for caicedo, knowing that they are desperate

If we look back to last season pep played rodri to within an inch of his life and we got away with it... He gambled on him every single game as we didn't have a single player in the squad who pep thought he could rely on and do the same job without the quality of that role and position drop off a cliff

If we would of had to of played Phillips or any other player in rodri's roll we wouldn't be sat on a treble right now it's as simple as that

Pep must think that rice once moulded into our style of play is the one to give rodders some breathing space and rest in certain parts of the season and the quality not drop away so we can still keep the juggernaut going

let's face it if rodders gets any type of injury and out for even a few weeks we are a little bit fecked and we really do need to cover that scenario...the 100 million is what it is even tho personally I think it's bonkers money for rice but the management etc must feel it's a price worth paying for even the initial bid to of gone in in the 1st place ... let's be honest we ain't guna just make the one bid after probably spending best part of last season identifying main targets to then say feck that for the sake of a few more million it will of been a waste of a seasons future planning
Your argument about Rodri is bang on the money but we paid £50m last summer for that problem to go away. The problem still exists and we may now spunk another £100m in the hope that it goes away this summer. If we get Rice, he can’t be another Phillips and there’s no guarantees in this sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.