Defensive Midfield Targets/Options

Discussion in 'Transfer forum' started by Charlesfarsbar, 1 May 2017.

1. nmc

nmc

It was interesting watching Gundoghan on Sunday - I’ve been critical of him in the recent weeks but he did well on Sunday. That was a game where the Yaya of a few years ago would have excelled. People often focus on Yaya’s power and forward running - it was breathtaking but Yaya’s biggest asset was his ability to sit in the middle and keep churning the ball with a brilliant mixture of short and long range passing. On Sunday Gundoghan had some much time to pick his passes and when they didn’t come off he more than usual just got the ball given straight back to him. Whomever comes in as the long term replacement to Fern has to have aerial ability, an ability to protect the back 4 particularly from counter attacks but really importantly they have to have the full passing range - great passing from deep is a really effective way to counter overly defensive set ups.

2. 01cravend

01cravend

Rodri at Villareal

Edit: nevermind Atletico have snapped him up.

3. VOOMER

VOOMER

I think we will see a big improvement from the Stones Laporte partnership next season. Otti will still around and as will Vinny, so its how much Toskin will improve that will determine when we buy. The key thing will still be how to play without Fernie and Ederson.

4. aguerooo93

aguerooo93

Fred coming is a near certainty. And I doubt we'll bring in a second DM after renewing Fernandinho's contract for an additional two years

5. kun

kun

We also reportedly have Claudio Gomes coming in in the summer (straight in to the first team supposedly).

Fernandinho, Fred, Gündogan, Gomes, Delph. We'd have plenty of valid options then.

6. Delphinho

Delphinho

I doubt that, he has not made his debut for PSG, he has not even been on the bench, and we are better than PSG, plus they are playing in a shite league. Gomes is according to transfermarkt.com just 164cm (5 feet, 4.57 inches), probably not ready physically

7. kun

kun

Reportedly, Gomes was in line for some first team action at PSG when he agreed to join City.

8. Trautmann's Chiropractor

Trautmann's Chiropractor

It was also said he’d train with the first team up until Christmas when they’ll reevaluate him (which is a way of saying he’ll be loaned out). I really don’t think he’s one for the first team.

9. Serg10Aguero

Serg10Aguero

This might be a bit out there, but with Alaba's recent comments that he might want a new challenge, could Pep convert him into a midfielder? Pep's said similar comments to Dinho, the classic 'he can play in 10 positions'

Last edited: 9 Mar 2018
  10. Delphinho

Delphinho

Great player, he could cover LB, CB and DM