Deliberately knocked off my pushbike by angry motorist

It's not a question of whether I ' believe that shit '. It's a fact, they clog the roads up, 2, 3 abreast and they don't seem to give a shit. And dont forget horses were on the roads before bikes and most bikes are used ' unnecessarily ' so I dont quite understand your point.

We generally cycle 2 abreast on main roads if a club ride. On country lanes more likely to be single file. This allows us to protect less confident riders on the inside and generally encourages a safer pass from cars, rather than squeezing passed when it isn't safe. Also if there's a group of 10-15 you aren't waiting at a junction for as long if a queue of cyclists are going by..

It's perfectly acceptable in the highway code. f you don't like the rules of the road, don't use the road.

To the OP - sorry about your injury. I cycle for leisure and also to work during the summer. I find the commutes far more stressful and drivers have less patience at this time of day.
I've only been knocked off once and at slow pace (had my camera on luckily). Driver very apologetic and no injuries and no damage so we both went on our way.

It's outrageous that such serious injuries can be caused by recklessness on the driver's part - you should get a decent settlement.

Cyclists are a right pain in the arse IMO but in a thread about some poor sod who has been deliberately knocked off his bike that view is completely irrelevant, it smacks of victim blaming. Anyone who has the inclination to deliberately drive into a cyclist should be banned from driving for life as far as I’m concerned.

Apologies for posting this here, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

I found out today that someone who works in our building, who I have worked with on a couple of projects was very recently knocked off his bike on a country road and killed.

He was on his way home from work, and got taken out by a car not far from his house. The driver was arrested at the scene, but there are no further details as yet.

He was a very accomplished cyclist, and always wore bright/reflective clothing with fixed and flashing lights. He also wore a helmet without fail.

Please be safe out there fellow Blues, and remember no matter how safe you think you are, you are always at the mercy of other road users.
This sounds like the accident that happened just round the corner from where I now live, I heard the driver was drugged up, I hope they throw the book at him, I cycle around that area in the summer.

We generally cycle 2 abreast on main roads if a club ride. On country lanes more likely to be single file. This allows us to protect less confident riders on the inside and generally encourages a safer pass from cars, rather than squeezing passed when it isn't safe. Also if there's a group of 10-15 you aren't waiting at a junction for as long if a queue of cyclists are going by..

It's perfectly acceptable in the highway code. f you don't like the rules of the road, don't use the road.

To the OP - sorry about your injury. I cycle for leisure and also to work during the summer. I find the commutes far more stressful and drivers have less patience at this time of day.
I've only been knocked off once and at slow pace (had my camera on luckily). Driver very apologetic and no injuries and no damage so we both went on our way.

It's outrageous that such serious injuries can be caused by recklessness on the driver's part - you should get a decent settlement.
Thanks for the comments... it’s driving me crazy at the minute resting.. I had really started to enjoy the daily ride so now debating whether to buy a OnePeloton bike or a Watt Bike... either would be a lot safer despite the lack of wind in my face or the added bonus of using other muscle groups to deal with cross winds en route..

The thing that really fucks me off is one a country road and cyclists in two's and three's having a chat while there are cars waiting behind. Move over and let the cars pass and then continue on your chatting. Or riders that purposefully drive to the front of the queue at the lights and pull their bike up in front of the first car, but pull off so slowly that everyone behind is waiting. Some common courtesy on both sides would make the roads a much better place to be.

The thing that really fucks me off is one a country road and cyclists in two's and three's having a chat while there are cars waiting behind. Move over and let the cars pass and then continue on your chatting. Or riders that purposefully drive to the front of the queue at the lights and pull their bike up in front of the first car, but pull off so slowly that everyone behind is waiting. Some common courtesy on both sides would make the roads a much better place to be.
Cyclist ride to the front of the queue because it is safer. There are an awful lot of drivers who might as well be wearing blinkers, and don't see cyclists until they are literally right in front of them. Not sure if you'v ever cycled on the road, but I'm pretty sure if you had, you'd know this.

Cyclist ride to the front of the queue because it is safer. There are an awful lot of drivers who might as well be wearing blinkers, and don't see cyclists until they are literally right in front of them. Not sure if you'v ever cycled on the road, but I'm pretty sure if you had, you'd know this.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with going to the front of the queue, but if you're going to be holding up every other person on the road then maybe you shouldn't be at the front OR you shouldn't be on a bike on the road? I'm more of a mountain biker, road cycling is bonkers and not worth the risk imo, but i have no issues with cyclists doing things to keep themselves safe as long as it doesn't make everyone else's life on the roads a hassle.

As a daily cycle commuter and member of a road cycling club I can say that I have seen many examples of bad cycling. I have also seen far more (due to there being far more cars on the road etc) examples of bad driving. This generally happens on a daily basis. Riding home tonight was a great experience with no knobhead behaviour reported. I just don't get why car users are so hateful of cyclists apart from the jealousy aspect which I've already posted about. What's a fact is the more cycle commuters there are on the road means that there are potentially less cars which therefore makes the motorists' journies better. No? Ergo motorists should encourage cycle usage and be more considerate towards those who cycle.

As a daily cycle commuter and member of a road cycling club I can say that I have seen many examples of bad cycling. I have also seen far more (due to there being far more cars on the road etc) examples of bad driving. This generally happens on a daily basis. Riding home tonight was a great experience with no knobhead behaviour reported. I just don't get why car users are so hateful of cyclists apart from the jealousy aspect which I've already posted about. What's a fact is the more cycle commuters there are on the road means that there are potentially less cars which therefore makes the motorists' journies better. No? Ergo motorists should encourage cycle usage and be more considerate towards those who cycle.
I go to Amsterdam regularly to visit my customer and they have it sussed... bikes rule there because it’s a small country I guess and flat.. they also take the law to extremes to protect cyclists where in any accident involving a bike and a car it’s never the cyclist’s fault... hard to believe but it’s works for them. Even small mopeds anc scooters use the cycle lanes..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.