Deliberately knocked off my pushbike by angry motorist

I go to Amsterdam regularly to visit my customer and they have it sussed... bikes rule there because it’s a small country I guess and flat.. they also take the law to extremes to protect cyclists where in any accident involving a bike and a car it’s never the cyclist’s fault... hard to believe but it’s works for them. Even small mopeds anc scooters use the cycle lanes..
Indeed. The recently launched Beelines Greater Manchester network of cycle lanes will go some way to replicating what you see in continental Europe. That's the dream really, a country where motorists and cyclists go about their daily routines quite happily. Bring it on!

Just an update re my cycling incident... Physically I am good but will always have some minor issues because of the way my hand healed naturally out of shape and because of nerve damage in the shoulder due to the surgery to pin my collar bone.

The driver admitted criminal negligence and therefore his insurer is paying for more physio and my claim for compensation is ongoing via my solicitor.

The driver appeared in Wrexham Magistrates court on June 12th and was awarded a fine of £369, £85 costs and was given 7 penalty points... I was not even invited to attend and have no clue what he was charged with.

He'd have been fined more for persistent littering...

Not impressed

That is a disgrace!!!
Society today and how people are dealt with is soft. No wonder the kids feel like they can get away with anything.

I hope you get better in time.

That is a disgrace!!!
Society today and how people are dealt with is soft. No wonder the kids feel like they can get away with anything.

I hope you get better in time.
Physically I am 90% and thanks for the best wishes... it's an indictment of the country we live in sadly.... The guy tried twice to hit me so God knows what they charged him with... it can't have been assault.. probably a lack of due care and attention which is bullshit if that's the case

Physically I am 90% and thanks for the best wishes... it's an indictment of the country we live in sadly.... The guy tried twice to hit me so God knows what they charged him with... it can't have been assault.. probably a lack of due care and attention which is bullshit if that's the case
It's good to hear you're on the mend.

When I was hit a few years ago by a car undertaking in the cycle lane, i damaged my splenius capitis. In court the driver was fined £350 and given 6 points and like you, I wasn't invited to attend. Later his insurance company got into contact once the conviction was assured and I was awarded £3000 by his insurer. So it might not be over yet!

It's good to hear you're on the mend.

When I was hit a few years ago by a car undertaking in the cycle lane, i damaged my splenius capitis. In court the driver was fined £350 and given 6 points and like you, I wasn't invited to attend. Later his insurance company got into contact once the conviction was assured and I was awarded £3000 by his insurer. So it might not be over yet!
His insurer just admitted criminal liability and I have a brief on the case... No idea what the compensation will be but I guess I'll find out.. I'm not holding my breath

I'll get 80% which is better than nothing

His insurer just admitted criminal liability and I have a brief on the case... No idea what the compensation will be but I guess I'll find out.. I'm not holding my breath

I'll get 80% which is better than nothing
My solicitor told me to expect around £1200, so naturally I was surprised at the final figure. I was fortunate enough to have it all recorded on CCTV so there was no disputing. I'll have my fingers crossed for you anyhow. It's becoming a joke how this is accepted amongst some drivers who gleefully cheer when another human being is seriously injured because of their frustration and impatience on the road and hatred towards cyclists/motorcyclists. Like I said though, fingers crossed and hope for a 100% recovery.

My solicitor told me to expect around £1200, so naturally I was surprised at the final figure. I was fortunate enough to have it all recorded on CCTV so there was no disputing. I'll have my fingers crossed for you anyhow. It's becoming a joke how this is accepted amongst some drivers who gleefully cheer when another human being is seriously injured because of their frustration and impatience on the road and hatred towards cyclists/motorcyclists. Like I said though, fingers crossed and hope for a 100% recovery.
I had no camera footage but three independent witnesses who thankfully stopped. They all confirmed that they thought he had done it deliberately but maybe footage would have had him bang to rights

I haven't been back on the road on the bike yet (not sure I will) since it was repaired but hopefully all my expenses will be covered on top of compo.. the bike repair owes me ~£600 on its own

I had no camera footage but three independent witnesses who thankfully stopped. They all confirmed that they thought he had done it deliberately but maybe footage would have had him bang to rights

I haven't been back on the road on the bike yet (not sure I will) since it was repaired but hopefully all my expenses will be covered on top of compo.. the bike repair owes me ~£600 on its own
Keep all your receipts. As you have a brief then they will know the procedures etc. I believe that there are standard scales for different injuries and this together with all asociated costs will form the amount of your compensation. As it is not decided by jury then you won't be able to retire on it but hopefully you will get what you are due.
The fact that he has been found guilty should mean that you will win your case. It will probably not go to court. Keep us all posted.

Sorry to hear that BM100. As a daily cycle-commuter of over 20 years and club rider and cycle holiday rider (I really am mad about bikes) I know too well the divide that exists between motorists and other road users. It's so frustrating. To all car drivers reading this, please just take two seconds to slow down and pass a cyclist only when it's safe to do so, allowing a good couple of meters passing space. The two seconds of your life can be got back along the rest of the road. It's not hard and in doing so everybody gets to where they want to get safely and in one piece.
Any cyclist who reads this, please respect the rules of the road, be courteous to other road users and always anticipate the worst.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.