Dementia

Think I'm past that point of caring.

Stick with it mate, any sort of recognition, any sort of loved one triggering a memory helps. Helps big time. Whatever you are going through, remember the good times, the fun, the smiles, the laughter, the tears...all of it...hold that in your heart. Hold it in your memory, keep it close.

It's an awful thing, you have my sympathy. We're still awaiting an appointment or whatever need to happen for a family member to be diagnosed and offered help, it's been getting worse with pace this year. Last week her brother died, we keep having to remind her.

Probably can't say much to make it better, but don't think you're alone blue.

3 years ago my dad was a normal, healthy, 82 year old man, enjoying his retirement. A pretty good innings I'd say.
He enjoyed a pint, but wasn't an excessive drinker. He didn't smoke.
Had a heart bypass when he was 65, but remained fit and healthy. He didn't take the piss, he was grateful the surgeon saved his life.
I'm going to the care home to see him on Sunday, as I do every week.
He won't recognise me, but I'll sit there and pretend he does.
The sudden onset of dementia is something I don't think I can ever understand or comprehend.
There's people in that care home a lot younger than me.
Op, reach out to everyone you know and explain to them how you feel.
I wish you well, you have friends here, use them.
I don't know your circumstances, but I'm only a pm away.
Take care blue, you are NOT alone.

Similar story from me, my Mother was in care in her 80s. When I visited her she would tell me all sorts.
Once she said Mick was outside doing up a car (Mick was her Dad, dead for 30 years) Sometimes she knew who i was sometimes not.
Whatever she said I never disagreed with. Just went along with it.
She was in care because she kept walking the streets at 1 or 2 am with a handbag full of cash.

It's extremely sad. As crublue1 said OP reach out to people on here. Some great people around here.

My dad died of this horrible disease when somebody you’ve loved and been part of your life for 40 years suddenly doesn’t remember you and becomes a shadow of there former self It’s heartbreaking. As @crublue1 one says above I sat with him every week in the care home he was in reminiscing about the past some days he seemed to remember as a little smile would come on his face I hope he did,I know it effected the family greatly especially mum let’s hope one day there can be a cure for dementia/Alzheimer’s as it’s a cruel horrible disease and anybody who’s going through this be it yourself or your loved ones my thoughts are with you

Lost my Mum to Vascular Dementia, awful illness. Engage with your family and friends, including those on here. Try to stay positive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.