Dementia

Dementia - for me - is the worst possible disease. It transforms those infected into - at best - someone less - but often - into someone else entirely.

Some - such as my brother - have stated that if they were to die from disease, they'd prefer to die from dementia - pain free. I don't understand this at all. For me, I'd prefer any other form of disease however painful. At least I'd be me up until the end - faculties intact. And not some lesser someone else.

Dementia - for me - is the worst possible disease. It transforms those infected into - at best - someone less - but often - into someone else entirely.

Some - such as my brother - have stated that if they were to die from disease, they'd prefer to die from dementia - pain free. I don't understand this at all. For me, I'd prefer any other form of disease however painful. At least I'd be me up until the end - faculties intact. And not some lesser someone else.
I watched my mother die from liver cancer, and my father from dementia, from a purely selfish perspective the former was much more preferable and dignified. Dementia is horrendous.

I’m not sure. I thought a great deal about the quality of life my mum had with dementia and she often said this to me. ‘I’m happy because I can’t remember anything to worry about’. That was before the disease progressed to the final stages when she was very often troubled and unhappy. That stage lasted about a year but she lived with dementia for nearly 10 years so who is to say. As the case for assisted suicide progresses I wonder how they will deal with dementia. I’m glad that smarter people than me will have to wrestle with that one.

She’s yet to be diagnosed but I’m convinced my mum has early offset at 76. In a ten minute chat, she asked me three times what I’d been up to last weekend. I had to deal with her house sale exclusively because she’d not manage it on her own.

I’m just rolling with it. I don’t correct anything she says and deal with everything with patience. It’s sad but I smile throughout.

My sister will be 60 on Monday. My absolute rock, few of us spent the day reminiscing, laughing, crying, eating n drinking. I've book hotel, family staying in it. She won't remember most of it tomorrow but fingers crossed the photos and videos will jog her memory down the line

Attachments

• Compress_20230304_222635_5458.jpg
    Compress_20230304_222635_5458.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

It is really bad to watch people you know loosing their minds day by day.
All we can do is to take care of our health now and hope we gonna keep our sanity in couple of years.
Healthy food, vitamins (i read information about those on canadian pharmacy website), some exercises here and there - all those things might help us and create a better future.

Last edited:
My dad has Dementia he is in his 80s. It drives my mum also in her 80s mad. For him he seems ok, he gets confused sometimes but his temperament is good, he remains calm, can have a laugh but forgets most things, can't follow a game of football, remains very quiet but for now does remember who everyone is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.