Demichelis signs contract extension

Ric said:
aguero93:20 said:
IWasHere said:
Missed opportunity to promote denayer next season

I must have missed Boyata getting an extension.

Boyata still has a year to run on his contract though. It'll be interesting to see if they try and ship him out this summer to free up a space for Denayer or Rekik.

My mistake, I thought he only got a one year deal. We should ship him out imo, MDM won't be able to play as many minutes and Vinny is injury prone, it would be more constructive to give Denayer the game time than Boyata.

Kun Aguero said:
Mixed views, I like the bloke and think he's an excellent player but I'm worried he'll turn badly Wio.

Can't see it happening myself, Wio was always reliant on his physical attributes and not his brain (fortunately for him), that's why he had such a sharp decline once his legs started to slow. MDM has always been a slow but smart **** :)

Who cares if he might turn bad? It's a one year contract, if he goes to shit then we just stop playing him and let him go at the end of the year, there is no risk there at all. It's a no brainer to me to give him another year. All he's costing us is a foreign spot, and his experience alone is well worth that. Saves us buying another veteran CB to replace him, while they spend the first 6 months adapting to the system.

I don't think it affects Denayer at all, he should be replacing Boyata, we were always going to need another experienced CB to compliment Denayer, Mangala and Kompany. If anything, it's better for Denayer as Demi will be easier to play less than a new signing. It's hard to imagine we'd find it easy to attract a CB of any quality to come in and job share the backup CB spot with Denayer.

BigOscar said:
Who cares if he might turn bad? It's a one year contract, if he goes to shit then we just stop playing him and let him go at the end of the year, there is no risk there at all. It's a no brainer to me to give him another year. All he's costing us is a foreign spot, and his experience alone is well worth that. Saves us buying another veteran CB to replace him, while they spend the first 6 months adapting to the system.

I don't think it affects Denayer at all, he should be replacing Boyata, we were always going to need another experienced CB to compliment Denayer, Mangala and Kompany. If anything, it's better for Denayer as Demi will be easier to play less than a new signing. It's hard to imagine we'd find it easy to attract a CB of any quality to come in and job share the backup CB spot with Denayer.

Seconded. We can't have Mangala and Denayer as 2nd and 3rd choice CB's. Thats too much of a risk.

Only reason not to extend his contract would be if we were to get a homegrown CB at his level, which seemed unlikely. So a good decision in the end.

Good decision by the board to give MDM another year. It speaks volumes when despite him having to sit out numerous games, he gets picked for the Barcelona game.

I am convinced Kompany will come good again and whilst he has had a couple of mares I don't think the criticism labelled at Mangala is completely warranted. In a strange way Mangala has been a victim of his debut performance against Chelsea. He was superb that day and I think he hasn't quite hit those heights since. I actually think Mangala is better against top class opposition and his performances against Chelsea and Bayern in the CL support that.

I think it's our full back positions that need an over haul from a defensive point of view.
Zabaleta hasn't hit his usual high standards this season and he isn't getting any younger either. We need a younger RB who will push Zabaleta week in week out, learning from him all the time, with a view to potentially taking over from him as first choice RB. (Clyne would be ideal in my opinion).

LB is definitely a position that needs "freshening up". I'd be inclined to keep Clichy over Kolarov, just!!

Lomas has a lob on said:
Good decision by the board to give MDM another year. It speaks volumes when despite him having to sit out numerous games, he gets picked for the Barcelona game.

I am convinced Kompany will come good again and whilst he has had a couple of mares I don't think the criticism labelled at Mangala is completely warranted. In a strange way Mangala has been a victim of his debut performance against Chelsea. He was superb that day and I think he hasn't quite hit those heights since. I actually think Mangala is better against top class opposition and his performances against Chelsea and Bayern in the CL support that.

I think it's our full back positions that need an over haul from a defensive point of view.
Zabaleta hasn't hit his usual high standards this season and he isn't getting any younger either. We need a younger RB who will push Zabaleta week in week out, learning from him all the time, with a view to potentially taking over from him as first choice RB. (Clyne would be ideal in my opinion).

LB is definitely a position that needs "freshening up". I'd be inclined to keep Clichy over Kolarov, just!!

True
I wouldnt mind taking Trippier back from Burnley never understood why we let him go

I like Martin,he's a winner with an infectious character,hopefully a coaching role also beckons.

(regarding Trippier,good talent but Richards and Zabba stood in his way,he saw an opportunity and left)

Great move an experience calm head. The like of Denayer and co should get a chance but Demichelis will be there as experienced back up. And what experience will keep the younger ones on their toes,

FantasyIreland said:
I like Martin,he's a winner with an infectious character,hopefully a coaching role also beckons.

(regarding Trippier,good talent but Richards and Zabba stood in his way,he saw an opportunity and left)

I'd love to see him coaching as well but I have a feeling he'll go back to South America when his playing days are over.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.