Depeche Mode

Banned Tosspot said:
Because they are incredibly bland.
I will bite on that one. They could be accused of many things but I find the idea of them being bland a bit difficult to take. For me stuff like Coldplay, Muse and The Killers are bland. Depeche Mode are the total anthithesis of bands like that l. Their style and sound is difficult to categorise. They go from bubblegum pop to electro gothic rock. Hardly bland

newtonheathdave said:
Banned Tosspot said:
I will bite on that one. They could be accused of many things but I find the idea of them being bland a bit difficult to take. For me stuff like Coldplay, Muse and The Killers are bland. Depeche Mode are the total anthithesis of bands like that l. Their style and sound is difficult to categorise. They go from bubblegum pop to electro gothic rock. Hardly bland
I'd put them IN with those bands personally.

Maybe not Coldplay on second thoughts.

Banned Tosspot said:
newtonheathdave said:
Banned Tosspot said:

Depeche Mode are absolutely nothing like any of them bands. If anything them bands may copy elements of Depeche Modes sound. Depeche Mode are electro pioneers. Alan Wilder who sadly left was an absolute genius.
I will be very suprised if them bands are still relevent in 30 years time.

newtonheathdave said:
Banned Tosspot said:
newtonheathdave said:

Depeche Mode are absolutely nothing like any of them bands. If anything them bands may copy elements of Depeche Modes sound. Depeche Mode are electro pioneers. Alan Wilder who sadly left was an absolute genius.
Are Depeche Mode actually relevant?

Can't remember their last decent release. Maybe the nineties?

Banned Tosspot said:
newtonheathdave said:
Banned Tosspot said:

Its all about a persons individual opinion but I think the new album offers a lot to todays music scene. Judged against their back catalogue, maybe it is not as good as their finest moments but in comparison to the fodder in the charts now it is very refreshing and relevant.

Banned Tosspot said:
newtonheathdave said:
Banned Tosspot said:

Its all about a persons individual opinion but I think the new album offers a lot to todays music scene. Judged against their back catalogue, maybe it is not as good as their finest moments but in comparison to the fodder in the charts now it is very refreshing and relevant.

Each to their own. Fair play to them for sticking it out (more or less intact) and continuing to do what they love and also good luck to anyone who enjoys their stuff.

I wouldn't be a fan, myself. I'd be inclined to agree with Banned Tosspot's post above on where they lie on the grand scale of things.

As for being all that influential, I think (with respect, of course - this is just my opinion) that some posters are confusing longevity with exceptional creative output. They've had a few decent songs, nothing more. There's no fault in that, it's a heck of a lot more than most bands manage.
Thing is, it's not songs that influence music (generally speaking) but albums and I fail to hear anything truly jaw-dropping along the lines of the more recognisably influential albums like say: 'Music From The Big Pink', 'Graceland', 'Blonde on Blonde', 'Exile On Main Street', 'The River', 'Out of the Blue', 'What's Goin' On', 'London's Calling' or indeed, 'Autobahn'.
Even if they did influence electro-pop so greatly (and I'm sorry but I don't really care that they did), then it is also worth keeping in mind that electro pop is hardly the most popular and all-encompassing genre out there.

I strongly suspect that I'm not alone in these opinions. That, to answer to the OP's question, is why they are not as celebrated as you feel they should be.

Still, like I say, there are worse bands out there.

Each to their own I suppose. I have grown up with DM. Went to one of their first ever gigs and have watched them at least once on every tour they have done. Been there, bought the t-shirt.

To say they are bland is a little over the top though. Bland to me is Coldplay, Jessie J, Taylor Swift etc etc.

Depeche Mode, whilst maybe not pioneers of all things electronic, Kraftwerk probably hold that crown, have been hugely influential.

True their songs mostly cover the same theme but the difference in music over the years is quite outstanding.

My favourite band by far but then you already guessed that didn't you?

BimboBob said:
Each to their own I suppose. I have grown up with DM. Went to one of their first ever gigs and have watched them at least once on every tour they have done. Been there, bought the t-shirt.

To say they are bland is a little over the top though. Bland to me is Coldplay, Jessie J, Taylor Swift etc etc.

Depeche Mode, whilst maybe not pioneers of all things electronic, Kraftwerk probably hold that crown, have been hugely influential.

True their songs mostly cover the same theme but the difference in music over the years is quite outstanding.

My favourite band by far but then you already guessed that didn't you?

We had an inkling.
And you're right, they're not as bland as the three you mention (although you forgot David Grey. Never underestimate David Grey for mind-numbing banality).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.