Diabetes

Sorry mate you are 100% wrong about this, you do know that type 2 diabetics have hypos don't you? and those hypos can be dangerous? If you have ever dropped to 3.2 you'd know this and 600 calories for someone who isn't a borderline diabetic would in my view be dangerous. If you think that type 2 diabetics can't have hypos you're wrong, so terribly wrong.

The only way you can go Hypo is by over medicating. Cut the meds and cut your food. Save money and save your life.

Bullshit. Absolute Bullshit.

As for a type 2 worried about going Hypo, forget it. You are type 2 not type 1. To give you an example, In my second month I was still doing 600 calories low carb with fasting. I would get home from work having eaten nothing all day. Just the odd black coffee and a coke zero. I would then check my glucose level, at this time it was around 5.5 mmol/l (I was still on metformin) then go for a 40km bike ride. Glucose immediately afterwards was always same or higher. Two hours afterwards it would be down around 4.5 to 5. I would then eat. In the morning it would be around 5 to 5.5 again.

I was in ketosis. In this state the only cells that actually need glucose are the red blood cells. Everything else works perfectly well on ketone bodies. The glucose in my blood was produced by gluconeogenesis and this increased when exercising. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Principles_of_Biochemistry/Gluconeogenesis_and_Glycogenesis

I know all about Gluconeogenesis and it's the body's perfect way of breaking down protein for glucose in the absence of dietary sugar/carbs. I did a keto diet for a good few months great for a host of health conditions. Regarding calories in the short term lowering them might not have such drastic consequences as in your personal experiment. However over the longer term its not great also not sustainable imo, hormones/metabolism play a huge role in our body's.

How long you been in Ketosis?, I had electrolyte issues at first but after sorting them out and doing 20 hour daily fasts I felt awesome super clear in my mind and could run a marathon a day. I was rarely hungry either with that way of eating.

You are right and thats why you need to be careful,everyone is different and you are right to be cautious

Good words Karen.

I hit 3.2 two months ago mainly because I am on insulin and an injection to knock my blood sugar levels down after I have eaten and it wasn't pleasant,there is some great advice on this thread though and I am working my way through youtube videos exercise suggestions and of course all of this through my doctor and diabetic nurse.

The only way you can go Hypo is by over medicating. Cut the meds and cut your food. Save money and save your life.

In that very small space of time between being on medication (Not just tablets) and getting to a healthy state someone at my stage of diabetes could drop dead, a hypo wont wait until my regime kicks in you know? Not all type 2 diabetics are at a stage where they can say fuck it let's just stop taking medication.

I know all about Gluconeogenesis and it's the body's perfect way of breaking down protein for glucose in the absence of dietary sugar/carbs. I did a keto diet for a good few months great for a host of health conditions. Regarding calories in the short term lowering them might not have such drastic consequences as in your personal experiment. However over the longer term its not great also not sustainable imo, hormones/metabolism play a huge role in our body's.

How long you been in Ketosis?, I had electrolyte issues at first but after sorting them out and doing 20 hour daily fasts I felt awesome super clear in my mind and could run a marathon a day. I was rarely hungry either with that way of eating.

Was keto for 8 weeks. Out now as I had a great holiday with no carbs barred. I'm close to target weight and glucose levels so I'm treating myself to the odd treat (piece of cake once a week and a bit more fruit) so i'm not quite in ketosis at the moment but will go straight back in if my fasting glucose goes above 6 again.

Was keto for 8 weeks. Out now as I had a great holiday with no carbs barred. I'm close to target weight and glucose levels so I'm treating myself to the odd treat (piece of cake once a week and a bit more fruit) so i'm not quite in ketosis at the moment but will go straight back in if my fasting glucose goes above 6 again.

Well done mate, tbh I felt restricted I love my carbs haha, I'm not diabetic but did flirt just under pre diabetic and curbed myself before it got out of hand. I still do intermittent fasting to lower my baseline insulin and lost 3 stone, I also lift weights fasted 18/20 hours my body comp in good shape now 165lbs roughly 10% body fat.

In that very small space of time between being on medication (Not just tablets) and getting to a healthy state someone at my stage of diabetes could drop dead, a hypo wont wait until my regime kicks in you know? Not all type 2 diabetics are at a stage where they can say fuck it let's just stop taking medication.

Find a Dr who will let you stop taking all those meds. They are not treating your disease they are treating the symptoms but making the disease worse.

Find a Dr who will let you stop taking all those meds. They are not treating your disease they are treating the symptoms but making the disease worse.

I am taking the advice on this thread and will be asking first my diabetic nurse mate with a view to removing the condition no matter how hard it is diet wise, i'm not backward coming forward and will ask the right questions and get some understanding of how far I can push it to break the cycle.

I am taking the advice on this thread and will be asking first my diabetic nurse mate with a view to removing the condition no matter how hard it is diet wise, i'm not backward coming forward and will ask the right questions and get some understanding of how far I can push it to break the cycle.
If you watch the video I just posted it tells you everything you need to know and discuss with your doc. Expect your Dr to be against the whole idea. I see an endocrinologist at the university hospital here in Zürich and she was against my plan until she discussed it with her professor who was more open to the idea. Remember a doc quite rightly has to cover their arse and that means sticking to the script.

If you watch the video I just posted it tells you everything you need to know and discuss with your doc. Expect your Dr to be against the whole idea. I see an endocrinologist at the university hospital here in Zürich and she was against my plan until she discussed it with her professor who was more open to the idea. Remember a doc quite rightly has to cover their arse and that means sticking to the script.

Judging by some replies on here I gathered as much that my Dr might be against it but I am going to ask them to help me do what I need to do and just try to advise me to make it a safer journey. I will watch the vid and use some of the information to explain to the nurse and see how it flies. Even if they don't like the idea the cutting of carbs is an easy step for me to do as is upping my exercise whilst I look for someone for a second opinion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.