Diabetes

Blood sugar tester came today, after managing to understand the very basic instructions I have a level of 7.3. Absolute borderline is 7.1 so happy days. Did suggest to the wife if I could do a sperm count with it and she just raised her eyes and walked off.
Tested myself yesterday morning and all it said on the screen was LO...mild panic set in but tested at dinnertime and back to 7.2.....and relaaaaxxx

12 months in I have been feeling really crap exhausted all the time and vision going blurry. Not managed see a Doctor but filled in an online form and was sent for a blood test turns out I am vitamen B12 deficient anyone else have to take supplements if so how much?

. . . . . . . . my doc has asked me to follow Michael Mosleys 8 week blood sugar diet . . . . . . . .
I have both those books - the one he's penned and the other one which I think his wife has contributed to with the recipes. Michael is a great advocate of weight loss being the answer for a lot of people who are heading for T2. It's bloody hard losing any. I'm gonna have to kick the bread maker into the South Stand. The book with recipes has a lot of stuff that has never been part of any diet of mine. I'm a little too fond of chips 'n bacon butties. Portion control is also a good starter. Don't bother weighing out stuff -just use a smaller plate.

12 months in I have been feeling really crap exhausted all the time and vision going blurry. Not managed see a Doctor but filled in an online form and was sent for a blood test turns out I am vitamen B12 deficient anyone else have to take supplements if so how much?
After having cancer i now have to have a B12 injection every 3 months for life...i do start to get lethargic just before it`s due.

I have both those books - the one he's penned and the other one which I think his wife has contributed to with the recipes. Michael is a great advocate of weight loss being the answer for a lot of people who are heading for T2. It's bloody hard losing any. I'm gonna have to kick the bread maker into the South Stand. The book with recipes has a lot of stuff that has never been part of any diet of mine. I'm a little too fond of chips 'n bacon butties. Portion control is also a good starter. Don't bother weighing out stuff -just use a smaller plate.
Cut out bread full stop,takes will power,but your health and weight will thank you.

It might be a good idea to get a H.Pylori test done.
I have been feeling crap for nearly five years. Aching/stiff joints after work. No energy. Exhaustion.
Seen nearly every department at the hospital. All come up with different reasons.

I started running and my times actually went up not down. The more i ran the slower i got. Only sure bloody mindedness got the times down eventually.

The thing is, every blood test kept saying very low B12. So they did a H.Pylori test (stomach bug etc)
Low B12 is a known symptom of H Pylori. The one thing they forgot to tell me was to come off my antacid pills for acid reflux. They can mask the results. So i got a negative.

My weight was going up even though i wasn't eating more. I think i was getting more lethargic, and this was causing my ballooning weight.

Eventually they gave me some B12 injections. Felt great for a month and then back to normal. My B12 level had already dropped back down to very low. They remarked that shouldn't happen, but never followed it up.

Late last year, they decided to send a camera down my throat to check my stomach. While there, they took several biopsies. Only took 20 mins after the op to get the results back....H.Pylori!

I had to endure an intensive course of antibiotics. They do this because it is extremely hard to get rid of it.
Nothing changed for a two months. Felt a bit better, but i had several after effects of the antibiotics to deal with.

Then suddenly started to get more energy. So started running again. Then started to lose some weight via a strict diet.
I had been borderline Type 2 diabetes with a fatty liver and raised cholesterol.

I had no chance of dieting before as i had no energy as it was.

Now i'm only eating porridge/golden syrup for breakfast. Nothing during the day.
A decent but healthy dinner/tea. Nothing else. No snacking, no supper.
I don't feel the need. I'm shocked how little food you actually need to generate huge amounts of energy.
I do a very physical job, and i'm flying through the work. I've got energy to spare after work, which i haven't had for years.

I'm also losing weight. A stone and a half has dropped off in six weeks. I still need to lose another couple of stones though.
My B12 levels are going up for the first time since i've been tested.
It is too early to see how all this affects my type 2 diabetes, liver and cholesterol. I have to go back to the nurse in four months.

Hi all.
Thought i'd give an update. So in Feb when I was diagnosed my bloods were 65 and then 64 in March. Had bloods taken last week and they are now town to 42 - the pre-diabetic stage. I've lost 1.5 stone and been on Metformin in that period, so all good. They did say that the Metformin is taking vitamin B12 out of my system and that it's too low, but i'm to get supplements for that later.

All good.

Last edited:
Hi all.
Thought i'd give an update. So in Feb when I was diagnosed my bloods were 65 and then 64 in March. Had bloods taken last week and they are now town to 42 - the pre-diabetic stage. I've lost 1.5 stone and been on Metformin in that period, so all good. They did say that the Metformin is taking vitamin D out of my system and that it's too low, but i'm to get supplements for that later.

All good.
How is the metformin affecting your gastric system plays havoc with mine.

How is the metformin affecting your gastric system plays havoc with mine.
First week of taking 3 a day it was a bit iffy, but that was about 7 weeks ago now. I've not had anything bad with it, which from what i've heard is a stroke of luck. I was anticipating bad things in terms of side effects.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.