Diabetes

I think popcorn might be OK in some forms but there's loads of recipes for low carb snacks. Dark chocolate (above 80% cocoa) is OK. I can recommend joining the Low Carb programme (if you can get it for £20 or so for a year instead of the usual £70). I've made a Twix-type snack using ground almonds, cream and dark chocolate from there, which is pretty good. Also Diabetes.co.uk has loads of recipes.

cheers PB - am scouring the diabetes.co.uk website as we speak.

A Twix-type snack sounds intriguing. We attempted a chocolate avocado pudding using 80% dark chocolate yesterday without much success!

My dad was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes & whilst he maintains a relatively active lifestyle his weakness is white rice.

We've switched it to wholegrain brown rice & even brown Basmati rice but he kicks up an almighty fuss.

Biscuits have been removed as snacks but lightly salted popcorn is still on the menu - unsure if the popcorn is a concern & if others can suggest some healthier & tastier alternatives?
I read popcorn is fine yesterday on the site I was on.
My mission this weekend is to suss out what fantasy Ireland said earlier. Little but often.
One thing I've realised is what an almighty lazy bastard I am where day time snacks and meals are concerned. Evening not so much as I like cooking.

My mission this weekend is to suss out what fantasy Ireland said earlier. Little but often.
One thing I've realised is what an almighty lazy bastard I am where day time snacks and meals are concerned. Evening not so much as I like cooking.
Unrelated to diabetes but the other half has been attempting this in order to get fit by adopting alarms throughout the day which seems to trigger a routine she’s getting accustomed to. Think the prep work is needed & planned out otherwise you fall into the trap of looking in the cupboard & over eating.

A by-product of all of this are these bloody alarms are doing my nut in when we’re both working from home!

Always read this thread with interest as it’s good to see what helps different people.
I have been T2 for about 3 years now, started with HbA1c of 145 which with Metformin , different low carb diet and exercise quickly reduced to 70 odd. Unfortunately it has stayed around that level even with 3 months of 18 hr per day fasting. Ive not been a Saint with avoiding carbs but I do try, my finger pricks rarely dipped below 9 first thing in the morning and often finished around 12 two hours after a meal.
As a last resort before insulin my doc has asked me to follow Michael Mosleys 8 week blood sugar diet but also prescribed a newish once a week self injection called Trulicity( top name lol) which reduces my hunger( a massive help on 800 cal per day).
Lost 13 pounds in the first two weeks, down from 14st, but more importantly my blood sugars have not been higher than 6.5 at any time. I now eat more fruit, carrots and other root veg than ever and apart from the obvious tiredness I feel fine. Hopefully my next blood test in about 9 weeks will show a big improvement.
I don’t think there is any quick fix for T2 as everyone is different but it’s worth persevering to find what suits you.

I was diagnosed last year had an online session with dietitian she sent me the slides happy to share if you pm email address.

Always read this thread with interest as it’s good to see what helps different people.
I have been T2 for about 3 years now, started with HbA1c of 145 which with Metformin , different low carb diet and exercise quickly reduced to 70 odd. Unfortunately it has stayed around that level even with 3 months of 18 hr per day fasting. Ive not been a Saint with avoiding carbs but I do try, my finger pricks rarely dipped below 9 first thing in the morning and often finished around 12 two hours after a meal.
As a last resort before insulin my doc has asked me to follow Michael Mosleys 8 week blood sugar diet but also prescribed a newish once a week self injection called Trulicity( top name lol) which reduces my hunger( a massive help on 800 cal per day).
Lost 13 pounds in the first two weeks, down from 14st, but more importantly my blood sugars have not been higher than 6.5 at any time. I now eat more fruit, carrots and other root veg than ever and apart from the obvious tiredness I feel fine. Hopefully my next blood test in about 9 weeks will show a big improvement.
I don’t think there is any quick fix for T2 as everyone is different but it’s worth persevering to find what suits you.

Intermittent fasting never works in isolation.

You would need to drink sheds loads of water, go running or do some HIIT for it be truly beneficial.

But you're on your new meds now, so good luck with it.

I’m a type 2 diabetic, always been slim,, HblAc levels good now,,
I have decided to come off my 2 a day metformin & a once a day amilinometic pill (sort of an appetite suppressant amongst other things, last thing I need). I am to start taking forxiga once a day..
Does anyone else take this medication? If so how do you get on with it?

A week into my new diet (except weekend, that was fun!), I can tell i've lost a bit of timber. Not gauged by scales, but because I can now wrap a towel round my fat self. Little steps and all that!
Now, back to my greek yoghurt and avocado.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.