Did anyone on here attend the ECWC Final in 69?

oakiecokie said:
Me and my mate Lester Bebbington hitch-hiked there and back !!
Slept in the stadium 2 nights before and kipped on the pole vault matresses (the stadium was a multi sports venue) underneath the tunnels.
On the Tuesday we (Lester and me) managed to find where City were staying,a hotel way up in the mountains.
We then met Alan Oakes & Glyn Pardoe,as we know them personally and we had our photos taken (with Micky Doyle also) by a guy named Peter Potter from the Daily Mail.
We were then treated like royalty.The rest of the team heard about our trek and Big Malc invited us onto the team bus and watch them train.Can you imagine that as an 18 year old ??
Imagine my horror at seeing one of my heroes break down in tears when he failed a fitness test that afternoon.Buzzer.
Unfortunately, from a selfish point,that became the main headline the next day in all the papers,so me and Les,never had the "glamour" of being on the sports page of the Mail,with our photograph !!

More tales i could tell,but you`re probably bored by now.

Far from bored-any more please?

oakiecokie said:
Me and my mate Lester Bebbington hitch-hiked there and back !!
Slept in the stadium 2 nights before and kipped on the pole vault matresses (the stadium was a multi sports venue) underneath the tunnels.
On the Tuesday we (Lester and me) managed to find where City were staying,a hotel way up in the mountains.
We then met Alan Oakes & Glyn Pardoe,as we know them personally and we had our photos taken (with Micky Doyle also) by a guy named Peter Potter from the Daily Mail.
We were then treated like royalty.The rest of the team heard about our trek and Big Malc invited us onto the team bus and watch them train.Can you imagine that as an 18 year old ??
Imagine my horror at seeing one of my heroes break down in tears when he failed a fitness test that afternoon.Buzzer.
Unfortunately, from a selfish point,that became the main headline the next day in all the papers,so me and Les,never had the "glamour" of being on the sports page of the Mail,with our photograph !!
More tales i could tell,but you`re probably bored by now.

You had me at Lester Bebbington......(top name that fella)<br /><br />-- Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:09 pm --<br /><br />BTW you werent alone with hitch hiking.

Unless you were the folks in the picture posted earlier?

I was working in London at the time ... I had been to every game in the ECWC run ... home and away .. great memories of every trip ... up to the final I went on organised trips from Manchester ... decided (not sure why) to go independently to the final from London ... imagine my horror when I realised my passport was in Manchester .. so I was one who wasn't there.

I also think there was an FA Cup replay ... and I think it was played at the swamp .... Granada wanted to show City live in GranadaLand but the FA wouldn't let them ... what a miserable bunch ... who wanted to watch Leeds and Chelsea anyway.
(hope I've got my facts right there).

The worst moment of the run was away at Bilbao - sobering up after half an hour being 2 down and surrounded by coppers with guns .... best game was Schalke at home - what a night that was.

Trust all you youngsters will have a great time in Dublin this year.

Cheers

Me & my dad went. Left my hand knitted wooly hat on the bedroom radiator at the hotel. Wonder if it's still there?

give & go said:
seemed to remember programmes were free , got 2 gave one my mate back home collector item now

there's a story here too. lots of blues, including me & my mate, had orders for programmes from mates back home so demand was high. the guys with the programmes weren't forthcoming when the fans were asking how much they were & as there seemed to be only small quantities available blues just thrust money into these guys' hands. every now & again someone would appear with a couple of dozen programmes which were eagerly snapped up with money changing hands.

when the word 'gratis' was noticed on the cover the fans realised they were meant to be free & the bastards whose job it was to distribute them had deliberately maintained a supply shortage & pocketed all the cash. some blues tipped over at least one of these blokes to get their money back which resulted in an immediate halt to programme distribution.

that's why they're a real collector's item worth several hundred pounds a piece. relatively few were actually distributed. i've got mine somewhere but i'm buggered if i know where it is.

rassclot said:
give & go said:
seemed to remember programmes were free , got 2 gave one my mate back home collector item now

there's a story here too. lots of blues, including me & my mate, had orders for programmes from mates back home so demand was high. the guys with the programmes weren't forthcoming when the fans were asking how much they were & as there seemed to be only small quantities available blues just thrust money into these guys' hands. every now & again someone would appear with a couple of dozen programmes which were eagerly snapped up with money changing hands.

when the word 'gratis' was noticed on the cover the fans realised they were meant to be free & the bastards whose job it was to distribute them had deliberately maintained a supply shortage & pocketed all the cash. some blues tipped over at least one of these blokes to get their money back which resulted in an immediate halt to programme distribution.

that's why they're a real collector's item worth several hundred pounds a piece. relatively few were actually distributed. i've got mine somewhere but i'm buggered if i know where it is.

I bought a shit load of them still in their boxes a few years ago.

I must have about 5,000 of the things.

Never realised they were rare!

sorry only joking ;-)

My late Dad went and I remember crying because he wouldn't/couldn't take me. He'd taken me everywhere including Newcastle 68 and Wembley 69 so I just couldn't understand why it was not considered a sensible idea to take a young kid to Vienna. He came back with stories about getting absolutely drenched and also everyone being woken up in the middle of the night at the hotel by the Police wanting to see all their passports. Said they were treated like crap. Maybe that was just to justify not taking me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.