Did I see Trautmann wipe away a tear?

Great to see Bert looking so good yesterday Brought back so many memories He was my first City idol One thing in particular sticks in my mind was his ability to to come out and catch a cross with one hand His hands were enormous
He could get a little ratty at times This was in the days when centre forwards could shoulder charge keepers into the net and get the goal I was on the scoreboard end and we were playing Bolton Nat Lofthouse shoulder charged Bert as he came down after catching a cross and all Bert could do was give a corner away Bert was blazing mad As the corner came across Bert punched the ball away but at the same time rabbit punched Lofthouse who was left on his knees holding his neck the match continued and Bert helped Lofthouse to his feet both smiling How times have changed What a character Bert was The finest keeper I have ever seen

I was getting a bit dewy eyed seeing and hearing that reception.
A great day all round apart from the tw@t behind me who was tapping on on the back and telling me to sit down whenever i dared to stand up to see the penalty or watch a goal going in. Its a football match FFS. I will not spend 90 minutes with my arse in my seat. Never. If you can't see then bleedin well stand up as well.

My Grandad used to tell me how much grief he took from the crowd when he first started playing.
He must have had incredible mental strength to have gone from being a POW to a respected and accepted footballer in post-war Britain.

As another poster has said-not just a player,but a man who helped ease the path of reconciliation.

My dad is a red and when he moved over to manchester in the 50`s used to watch City and United in alternate weeks, he says that Bert was the bet keeper he ever saw....better than banks, Shmeical, Zoff etc, reckons he kept City up on his own for years!, praise indeed.
Read the Book, one of the best city books out there and a real page turner!

HDB

There is a light said:
The reception he got was outstanding, it made me proud to be a Blue.
I hope that sad excuse for a blue Simon Hattenstone was there to see it, but I doubt it.

Marvin said:
There is a light said:
The reception he got was outstanding, it made me proud to be a Blue.
I hope that sad excuse for a blue Simon Hattenstone was there to see it, but I doubt it.

I have just read that review, disgraceful - it has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I would prefer to read the likes of Alex Harley above, a quality post.

Fantastic reception from the City fans and like others have said it made me feel very proud to be Blue. Great to see how it touched the big man. I never saw him play but met him once when I was about 8, he just looked a complete giant.

Watched it back on the tv and I was amazed to see how fit he is for an 87 year old. Doubt that I'll be walking as freely when I'm that age.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.