Did Mancini put his own CV ahead of City's interests?

Soulboy said:
Yeah, because whenever we've played those "fired up" fringe players this season in the Cups, they have been so impressive!

;-))

At times that's been true, but they didn't have the prospect of a Wembley semi-final dangling in front of their noses.

I guess the only way it can work is if you let it be known that the obvious first picks are settled but there are still decisions to be made in other areas. If you just drop the entiire first team then those who come in know full well who you are going to pick on the big day.

In my view he didn't pick the two first pick midfielders who just wouldn't be able to hold back. It's not a coincidence that they are the most important players, irreplacable. Maybe it's a mistake but what happened to Tevez is clear proof of the risks that play on the minds of players, and you can see from the lack of commitment how complicated managing all the individual mentalities become.

It's a shame but the mentality is what it is. It's not exclusive to this club, Real Madrid lost their first home game before the quarter final vs Spurs, and of course Utd lost their first league game at Wolves just before they played us.

Absolute bollocks, he rested them because he wants them 100% for the semi-final, everyone knows how important it is to the club

hello said:
Are all these posts about resting De Jong & silva all in hindsight or were people raising their concerns at 7pm on Monday when the team was named?[/b]On paper that side should have had more than enough to get a positive result\performance, however the combination of Liverpools best half since Istanbul (According to a scouser who follows them home & away) and everyone of our players looking like that pitch was the last place on the planet they wanted to be resulted in our shitest display since the spuds 3-0 drubbing.
So to those with hindsight saying dropping Silva & De Jong ( I am sure they both feel like they were dropped) meant we had no chance on monday, I would like to ask what sort of side should be playing on saturday, Would you have had the so called best XI playing both high intensity games or strongest against the scousers with players rested for the rags?
In the scheme of things could it be argued that a Saturdays result will have a bigger bearing on the league run in, I certianly wouldn't fancy the probablity of mancini inspiring the players to 5/6 league wins after a demoralising defeat to those twunts again, Neither do I see enough character in the side for the players to perform for themselves when the going gets tough.
I do however believe that a positive result on Saturday will lift the whole club to such a level that we will get 4th regardless of team selection \ tatics over the remaining league games. Without being disrespectful to Bolton Stoke, whoever wins on Saturday will be massive favourites to lift the FA cup. Doing so will give the squad belief in themselves and each other.

For me Saturday is a winner takes all match for us, Win and Champions league place cup in the cabinet end of season will happen. Lose and it will be another year on the stupid banner, another hammer blow the squad delivered by the same twunts as last season and another year of obsurce European away days.

Apologies for the lenght of post, quiet at work this afternoon.

There were dozens on here, myself included, incredulous at the team selection when it was announced.

Not hindsight, just a deep awareness that the manager had cocked up!<br /><br />-- Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:55 pm --<br /><br />
Chick Counterfly said:
Soulboy said:
Yeah, because whenever we've played those "fired up" fringe players this season in the Cups, they have been so impressive!

;-))

At times that's been true, but they didn't have the prospect of a Wembley semi-final dangling in front of their noses.

I guess the only way it can work is if you let it be known that the obvious first picks are settled but there are still decisions to be made in other areas. If you just drop the entiire first team then those who come in know full well who you are going to pick on the big day.

In my view he didn't pick the two first pick midfielders who just wouldn't be able to hold back. It's not a coincidence that they are the most important players, irreplacable. Maybe it's a mistake but what happened to Tevez is clear proof of the risks that play on the minds of players, and you can see from the lack of commitment how complicated managing all the individual mentalities become.

It's a shame but the mentality is what it is. It's not exclusive to this club, Real Madrid lost their first home game before the quarter final vs Spurs, and of course Utd lost their first league game at Wolves just before they played us.

Isn't it bizarre how the Mancini supporters on here shift the goalposts with such regularity?

I remember going to West Brom for the Carling Cup game and was absolutelky furious that I had shelled out £120 to watch us fail dismally.

But, I was assured, that it was for the best! We had to reduce our involvement in Cup games because finihsing top 4 was the be all and end all of our season.

Similar comments were made when we slid out of the UEFA cup.

Yet now, surprise surprise... we need to rest players in the vital league games because there's a chance of a Cup trophy!

You really could not make this up!

Some posters on here are about as consistent as Yaya Toure...

Soulboy said:
I remember going to West Brom for the Carling Cup game and was absolutelky furious that I had shelled out £120 to watch us fail dismally.

But, I was assured, that it was for the best! We had to reduce our involvement in Cup games because finihsing top 4 was the be all and end all of our season.

It worked, we beat Chelsea the following Saturday, that was the reason for playing the kids in the Carling Cup match. It wasn't about reducing the involvement it was a calculated gamble to try and get the best of both worlds. It's what Wenger and Ferguson do in the early rounds of the Carling Cup every season, sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesn't.

lancs blue said:
Soulboy said:

It worked, we beat Chelsea the following Saturday, that was the reason for playing the kids in the Carling Cup match. It wasn't about reducing the involvement it was a calculated gamble to try and get the best of both worlds. It's what Wenger and Ferguson do in the early rounds of the Carling Cup every season, sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesn't.

Good point.

So why change the philosophy and drop star players for the vital league games to try and win a less important Cup game?

We really do have to stop defining ourselves in terms of beating the rags...

Didsbury Dave said:
I'm not stating this as gospel, but as i've had the same conversation with a couple of blues, I thought it worthy of debate on here.

I don't believe anyone can credibly argue that the ommision of Silva and De Jong from the Liverpool game was for footballing reasons. They had to be being protected for the semi final game this weekend. But it has been stated on numerous occasions that City's first priority is the league, and a place in the top 4. Again, I don't think it can be argued that that is the case either.

So did Mancini leave them out because to him personally the cup is more important because he is leaving in the summer? An FA Cup victory is surely a badge on his CV which would stand up more than a 4th place finish in years to come.

Did he take a risk which backfired for his own selfish reasons?

Again, just to make absolutely clear, I'm not saying he did, I'm just asking a question....

i know one thing, he showed no respect for the fans who paid a lot of money for that crap.

Soulboy said:
hello said:
Are all these posts about resting De Jong & silva all in hindsight or were people raising their concerns at 7pm on Monday when the team was named?[/b]On paper that side should have had more than enough to get a positive result\performance, however the combination of Liverpools best half since Istanbul (According to a scouser who follows them home & away) and everyone of our players looking like that pitch was the last place on the planet they wanted to be resulted in our shitest display since the spuds 3-0 drubbing.
So to those with hindsight saying dropping Silva & De Jong ( I am sure they both feel like they were dropped) meant we had no chance on monday, I would like to ask what sort of side should be playing on saturday, Would you have had the so called best XI playing both high intensity games or strongest against the scousers with players rested for the rags?
In the scheme of things could it be argued that a Saturdays result will have a bigger bearing on the league run in, I certianly wouldn't fancy the probablity of mancini inspiring the players to 5/6 league wins after a demoralising defeat to those twunts again, Neither do I see enough character in the side for the players to perform for themselves when the going gets tough.
I do however believe that a positive result on Saturday will lift the whole club to such a level that we will get 4th regardless of team selection \ tatics over the remaining league games. Without being disrespectful to Bolton Stoke, whoever wins on Saturday will be massive favourites to lift the FA cup. Doing so will give the squad belief in themselves and each other.

For me Saturday is a winner takes all match for us, Win and Champions league place cup in the cabinet end of season will happen. Lose and it will be another year on the stupid banner, another hammer blow the squad delivered by the same twunts as last season and another year of obsurce European away days.

Apologies for the lenght of post, quiet at work this afternoon.

There were dozens on here, myself included, incredulous at the team selection when it was announced.

Not hindsight, just a deep awareness that the manager had cocked up!

-- Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:55 pm --

Chick Counterfly said:

Isn't it bizarre how the Mancini supporters on here shift the goalposts with such regularity?

Yet now, surprise surprise... we need to rest players in the vital league games because there's a chance of a Cup trophy!You really could not make this up!

Even though it pains me to say it, you don't hear the Govan pisscan complaining either that they have a game every 3 days.

And they still manage to carry it off.

It's down to mentality and unfortunately we don't have the positive mental attitude to carry us through.

fathellensbellend said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I'm not stating this as gospel, but as i've had the same conversation with a couple of blues, I thought it worthy of debate on here.

I don't believe anyone can credibly argue that the ommision of Silva and De Jong from the Liverpool game was for footballing reasons. They had to be being protected for the semi final game this weekend. But it has been stated on numerous occasions that City's first priority is the league, and a place in the top 4. Again, I don't think it can be argued that that is the case either.

So did Mancini leave them out because to him personally the cup is more important because he is leaving in the summer? An FA Cup victory is surely a badge on his CV which would stand up more than a 4th place finish in years to come.

Did he take a risk which backfired for his own selfish reasons?

Again, just to make absolutely clear, I'm not saying he did, I'm just asking a question....

i know one thing, he showed no respect for the fans who paid a lot of money for that crap.

It was the players who showed no respect, the team we put out was full of internationals, it's not as if Mancini selected the EDS team.

1_barry_conlon said:
Soulboy said:

Not hindsight, just a deep awareness that the manager had cocked up!

-- Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:55 pm --

Yet now, surprise surprise... we need to rest players in the vital league games because there's a chance of a Cup trophy!You really could not make this up!

Even though it pains me to say it, you don't hear the Govan pisscan complaining either that they have a game every 3 days.

And they still manage to carry it off.

It's down to mentality and unfortunately we don't the positive mental attitude to carry us through.

Spot on.

At this stage of the season we should be playing our BEST team every time.

No need for rest or rotation, it's down to the wire and every player should now be up for it. As well as the manager...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.