Did You Go Halifax Away In the FA Cup in 1980?

Christ I remember that day very well. Me and my best mate took some serious stick from the kids on my street who were all either United or Liverpool fans. It was so bad that my mate switched from City to United! (We were both 10 at the time).

Halifax, Shrewsbury....just two games amongst many when we were beaten by lower league clubs. I used to dread the fa cup draw when we were paired with a lower league club, especially away. We just knew the script. No wonder so many of us from those old days still fear the worst every game unless we're at least 3-0 up with seconds to go.

Off topic a little, am appalled that the FA cup 5th round is once again being played mid week. For me historically it was one of the great occasions of the football calendar, win and you can legitimately dream of Wembley. Long before our current success can still taste the euphoria of our wins over Plymouth and Barnsley the possibility of FA cup glory seemed very real. Of course Spurs and the dippers trampled our dreams underfoot, but for two or three weeks we could dream of cup glory. Don't think it would have felt the same on a Tuesday night. Honourable mention too for Peterborough away in 81 followed by our quarter final exploits in the two Everton matches.

If I remember correctly we went on the service train to Blackpool that day , interesting early morning and afternoon in the pubs , even recall Chelsea waiting on the platform at Preston for City . Shit results but great trips .
I remember going to Blackpool on service and loads getting off to try and get to Chelsea fans..proper away days eh

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.