Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
gordondaviesmoustache said:
OB1 said:
One thing we can all agree on is that all that matters now is what Pellegrini achieves with City.
Most optimistic statement of the year I reckon, OB.

Oh I don't know about optimistic. If Pellers works out then great and if he doesn't quite work out then we get a new coach. Previously it was all about pinning our hopes on Hughes (don't laugh) and then Mancini to make it work. Now there is a feeling, well ok its how I feel, that the club as a whole is starting to make it work which is why I guess I have always been pro the appointment of Ferran and Txiki - except when he is getting his arse spanked in public that is.

The establishment of a footballing ethos that permeates the club with coaches on a two or three year cycle pretty much works for me leaving us to argue over which coach we would prefer and zonal over man marking. I would prefer a Benitez/zonal marking combo others want a Pellegrini/man marking combo with extra cheese. Its all down to personal taste now . We know we can win trophies so its about who we will win them with and who will win more. We are growing commercially. The campus, NYFC are in the pipeline. Its a constant and upward evolution. Whats not to like?

Didsbury Dave said:
Lancet Fluke said:
BobKowalski said:
Ah. Well explains a lot. So what do you expect from Pellegrini this season given the resources he has available to him? For example what would be decent and what would be excellent?

Well firstly, and this isn't a cop out, just common sense (imo) I'd say it isn't as simple as winning this or that, it is more complex than that in terms of this season. He has just joined a new club and so he needs to be given some time, just as Mancini needed to be given time when he first arrived. As I have said a number of times in this thread, it is easy to forget that after about 16 months, many people were not remotely impressed with Mancini but things suddenly clicked into place with that semi final win over united. I distinctly remember being at Anfield a few days before Wembley and I honestly feared for Mancini's future at the club after the match, top 4 looked very dodgy and the knives seemed to be well and truly out. Once Pellegrini has been given some time to manage the inevitable transition then I expect us to be genuine title challengers every season and I expect us to be able to win titles with some regularity. I also expect us to be competitive in Europe. I think that is the least we should expect with our resources, whoever is the manager. In terms of what I expect from this first season, well I would obviously hope that we can hit the ground running and win things immediately but I'm pragmatic enough to realise that this might not happen and that there could be some issues in transition. As long as by the end of the season there hasn't been anything truly catastrophic (like finishing outside the top 3/4 or not getting through the group stage of the CL) then as long as through the season there have been obvious signs of progression that suggest that next season will be a genuine title challenge then I would keep faith in Pellegrini. At this point though, I think it's way too early to say how we are going to do this season. It has been a mixed bag so far and clearly Pellegrini hasn't come in and instantly made everything brilliant, which is what we all hoped he could do (well most of us did). But I think we are seeing at Chelsea and united too that when you change manager it has to be given some time.
A good and sensible take on it, lancet. Something we can always expect from you. I've posted many times before that mancini's entire city career hinged on that wembley semi final, and in particular half time. It flushed the whole club with belief. But you've hit the nail on the head: People saying "Pellegrini has to do better than second and a cup final" don't know what they are talking about. What he has to do is demonstrate that he is the man to hit city's "phase 3" objectives for the project. And there can be little doubt what they are from the way the club's top brass, and Pellegrini himself, are talking: he is tasked with making city one of europe's top clubs. Now to be one of europe's top clubs we have to do well in the champions league, in fact to win it one day, along with winning plenty of domestic honours including league titles.

He will be evaluated, like most managers in Europe, at the end of the season. And city's top brass won't base their decision on what he's won or not won, because there are too many variables. They'll base their decision on the future. Has this man shown he has what it takes to take city to where we want them to be? Results will of course be a big indicator. But they won't be the only one.

As it stands this squad is marginally the best in England and the fourth or fifth best in Europe in my opinion. That's what he is working with. But if he misses out on the title by a few points because we get distracted by a champions league and domestic cup run, or he loses in the cl last 16 but wins the league, or whatever, and shapes a culture around the club that we and he can build on, then he's going to have the sheikh eating out of his hand. And the fans, including the last few ostriches still pining for their fallen hero.

I have a feeling he will. But you're damn right that its far too early to say.

If that's the case, why did they come out with the "5 trophies in 5 seasons" objective ?

mancity1 said:
Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
mancity1 said:
That's two bertie points OB1 it would have been three if it had of read lets show passion and play with pride today.

Jenny Anderson would be proud of you.

I'm still not sure if you have got the hang of the Bertie level system.

Jimmy Anderson is a fine swing bowler, not sure what he has got to do with anything.

Woops Paul you are playing with a straight bat here minus seven bertie points I here Stephen Fry call on QI.

Just for your eyes only as OB1 and BK are on my frequency hear ( heaven help them ).

Ian Anderson wrote the music and in some cases the lyrics to most of Jethro Tull's songs.

His wife Jenny at the time however you will find also wrote the lyrics to some of Tull's classics.

OB1 introduced Passion Play another Tull timeless vinyl.

Perhaps you are switched on the right channel now.

Bertie is what you make of him Paul but you follow the thread.

Jimmy Anderson is a bowler Paul and will play a role in Oz later this year but last time I checked he had nought to do with Jethro Tull the Prog Rock Band or as Lars once said at the Grammy's Heavy Metal what you f...n kidding , before his time for young Jimme I would suggest.
"Hey Paul...."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruw9fsh3PNY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BL2blue said:
If that's the case, why did they come out with the "5 trophies in 5 seasons" objective ?

When Ferran said that he also said that we might win nothing in one season and two trophies in another i.e. we would average one trophy a season.

BL2blue said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Well firstly, and this isn't a cop out, just common sense (imo) I'd say it isn't as simple as winning this or that, it is more complex than that in terms of this season. He has just joined a new club and so he needs to be given some time, just as Mancini needed to be given time when he first arrived. As I have said a number of times in this thread, it is easy to forget that after about 16 months, many people were not remotely impressed with Mancini but things suddenly clicked into place with that semi final win over united. I distinctly remember being at Anfield a few days before Wembley and I honestly feared for Mancini's future at the club after the match, top 4 looked very dodgy and the knives seemed to be well and truly out. Once Pellegrini has been given some time to manage the inevitable transition then I expect us to be genuine title challengers every season and I expect us to be able to win titles with some regularity. I also expect us to be competitive in Europe. I think that is the least we should expect with our resources, whoever is the manager. In terms of what I expect from this first season, well I would obviously hope that we can hit the ground running and win things immediately but I'm pragmatic enough to realise that this might not happen and that there could be some issues in transition. As long as by the end of the season there hasn't been anything truly catastrophic (like finishing outside the top 3/4 or not getting through the group stage of the CL) then as long as through the season there have been obvious signs of progression that suggest that next season will be a genuine title challenge then I would keep faith in Pellegrini. At this point though, I think it's way too early to say how we are going to do this season. It has been a mixed bag so far and clearly Pellegrini hasn't come in and instantly made everything brilliant, which is what we all hoped he could do (well most of us did). But I think we are seeing at Chelsea and united too that when you change manager it has to be given some time.
A good and sensible take on it, lancet. Something we can always expect from you. I've posted many times before that mancini's entire city career hinged on that wembley semi final, and in particular half time. It flushed the whole club with belief. But you've hit the nail on the head: People saying "Pellegrini has to do better than second and a cup final" don't know what they are talking about. What he has to do is demonstrate that he is the man to hit city's "phase 3" objectives for the project. And there can be little doubt what they are from the way the club's top brass, and Pellegrini himself, are talking: he is tasked with making city one of europe's top clubs. Now to be one of europe's top clubs we have to do well in the champions league, in fact to win it one day, along with winning plenty of domestic honours including league titles.

He will be evaluated, like most managers in Europe, at the end of the season. And city's top brass won't base their decision on what he's won or not won, because there are too many variables. They'll base their decision on the future. Has this man shown he has what it takes to take city to where we want them to be? Results will of course be a big indicator. But they won't be the only one.

As it stands this squad is marginally the best in England and the fourth or fifth best in Europe in my opinion. That's what he is working with. But if he misses out on the title by a few points because we get distracted by a champions league and domestic cup run, or he loses in the cl last 16 but wins the league, or whatever, and shapes a culture around the club that we and he can build on, then he's going to have the sheikh eating out of his hand. And the fans, including the last few ostriches still pining for their fallen hero.

I have a feeling he will. But you're damn right that its far too early to say.

Read the interview. Pay attention to what is said:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manuel-pellegrini-must-deliver-five-trophies-in-five-years-at-manchester-city-says-chief-executive-ferran-soriano-8630155.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 30155.html</a>

As anyone expressing concern had been told for a few days, one more game is too early to make a concrete conclusion. Despite no actual goal in the first half I was impressed, and the following 20 mins were the best since the Chelsea semi at least. If we can play that well then we should be doing it against the likes of Stoke or Cardiff or Hull too. Vinny can't be the difference maker.

That doesn't mean I don't still have concerns. But I think my concern now lies with why we play like that in the champions league but look lost so far in the league. If we are prioritising Europe over domestic, I just don't agree. We've only won it once in my lifetime (I tried to think of another way to put it ;-) )

To me it displays arrogance, and we must do well in the league to stay where we are. Europe is important but not at the expense of the league.

Pelly is acting under instruction to a certain extent it seems, and if we play like we did on Tues against the scum on Sunday, happy days. Just hope a push in Europe doesn't bite us in the arse when it comes to the league later in the season.

Yaya_Tony said:
As anyone expressing concern had been told for a few days, one more game is too early to make a concrete conclusion. Despite no actual goal in the first half I was impressed, and the following 20 mins were the best since the Chelsea semi at least. If we can play that well then we should be doing it against the likes of Stoke or Cardiff or Hull too. Vinny can't be the difference maker.

That doesn't mean I don't still have concerns. But I think my concern now lies with why we play like that in the champions league but look lost so far in the league. If we are prioritising Europe over domestic, I just don't agree. We've only won it once in my lifetime (I tried to think of another way to put it ;-) )

To me it displays arrogance, and we must do well in the league to stay where we are. Europe is important but not at the expense of the league.

Pelly is acting under instruction to a certain extent it seems, and if we play like we did on Tues against the scum on Sunday, happy days. Just hope a push in Europe doesn't bite us in the arse when it comes to the league later in the season.
Every team will have a bad run or a run where they are winning but not playing well last season the Rags won it and most of the times I saw them play I was not impressed at all

Yaya_Tony said:

Your evidence for this theory is 4 League games and 1 European game.

Where does the Newcastle game fit?

Furthermore it's not "just Vinny". We lost several defenders at the same time

It's not a case of City going through the motions in the League......although that theory has crossed my mind too

We're not prioritising winning the CL over winning the PL. We're prioritising a respectable CL campaign, qualifying from the group, over dropping a few early season league points.

Failure to get out of the group for a third year would be a huge setback. Particularly as we're not in a group of death. It would dent the perception of the club, make us appear a bit limited. It would setback the growth in commercial revenue necessary to comply with FFP and setback our ability to attract the very best players. Getting to the knock out rounds, perhaps getting narrowly beaten by Barca in an epic tie, might not add to the trophy cabinet but it would make people realise that we are genuinely part of the elite.

And if we do well in the group stage, but are 5 points off of the top of the PL at the beginning of December, that wouldn't mean that our the league challenge is over. Our league form dipped quite badly in the last two seasons following early exit from the CL. Qualification would give us a huge boost in confidence, set us up for a much better winter in the league.

Chillipeppa62 said:
Anyone think that Pellegrini is an absolute spit for Dave Allen (for younger folk he was an Irish comic from 70's). We should petition for the theme from his show to be played before the home games.

we should dress him as the pope and carry him on the pitch on matchdays too. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.