Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoroughly enjoyed the game last night, especially the way the players are buzzing around and working for one another, more importantly our attacking play. Less reliability on individuals but movement of players creating space etc - I appreciate it was only Wigan but the Derby and Euro game was showing similar traits

Still a long way to go and the away form needs sorting - but very excited

Chippy_boy said:
OB1 said:
Chippy_boy said:
And bizarrely, we have done that without breaking a sweat.

We packed up tools and took our 4 goal win home after 60 minutes on Sunday. Had we carried on we could (and would imho) have scored 7 or 8. And then last night we had the B team out. Some B team!

Had we really been "going for it", it could have been 16 or 17 : 1 Quite astonishing.

It wasn't quite a B team though: three quarters of the back four were mainstays of the title win, Fern is a starter, Dzeko is, well, Dzeko...; and, Yaya, Navas and Negredo all came on. Pelle mixed it up nicely and made it clear to everyone that he is taking the competition seriously and that his players should. Sadly, I could not travel up for the game but it did not sound like City had a bunch of players going out there with an "oh we're just the second string" attitude; instead, it was guys fired up to show that they want to be part of it. Long may that continue.

Agree with all of that, but the fact remains that at the weekend we started with:

Hart, Zabaleta, Kolarov, Nastasic, Kompany, Fernandinho, Yaya Toure, Navas Nasri, Aguero and Negredo.

(Presumably we felt that was the A team).

And then last night we started with:

Pantilimon, Richards, Clichy, Boyata, Lescott, Milner, Fernandinho, Garcia, Lopes, Dzeko and Jovetic

So it might not be the B team in the sense that it's a bunch of no-hopers, but barring Fernandino it's a completely different team. Yes I know we brought Yaya on in the match last night and yes Milner came on on Sunday etc.

But the point remains that we won 5-0 last night without fielding as strong a team as we possibly could and we also beat the rags 4-1 when only really going for it for 60 minutes at most.

It's quite a mouth watering prospect to think that our team last night, playing like they did, would imho have given any side in the league real problems.

I think as we go through the season instead of having 2 teams playing the exact same way the 2 teams will become interchangeable. I expect the weekend to be a mixture of the 2 teams with Silva and Rodwell still to come back.

Jimfv1 said:
It was also an interesting bench, Hart, Aguero, Kompany and Nastasic all had the night off, which was good to see. Also interesting to see both Fernandinho and Yaya play some part in the game. Obviously both Silva and Rodwell are both still injured so couldn't play any part, but I think it shows how little depth we have in the centre of midfield, which will hopefully be addressed either in Jan or next summer at the latest. I know Garcia was involved but he still doesn't convince me that he can step up for the biggest games.

I guess the centre backs are wrapped in cotton wool because we can't afford any injuries there at the moment. We clearly have a wealth of attacking talent and can rest Aguero when possible. He has recently come back from injury himself and was subbed before the end of the derby, so maybe he did get a slight knock. So it seems clear to me that central midfield and centre-back is still our weaker area for depth of squad players.

Adil Ramil just got himself excluded from Valencia for criticizing the manager and might be looking for a way out, his name was brought up around the Pepe/ Demichelis transfer talk.

MillionDollarDream said:
Jimfv1 said:
It was also an interesting bench, Hart, Aguero, Kompany and Nastasic all had the night off, which was good to see. Also interesting to see both Fernandinho and Yaya play some part in the game. Obviously both Silva and Rodwell are both still injured so couldn't play any part, but I think it shows how little depth we have in the centre of midfield, which will hopefully be addressed either in Jan or next summer at the latest. I know Garcia was involved but he still doesn't convince me that he can step up for the biggest games.

I guess the centre backs are wrapped in cotton wool because we can't afford any injuries there at the moment. We clearly have a wealth of attacking talent and can rest Aguero when possible. He has recently come back from injury himself and was subbed before the end of the derby, so maybe he did get a slight knock. So it seems clear to me that central midfield and centre-back is still our weaker area for depth of squad players.

Adil Ramil just got himself excluded from Valencia for criticizing the manager and might be looking for a way out, his name was brought up around the Pepe/ Demichelis transfer talk.

Even if we are interested. Bugger all he or we can do till January,

blueparrot said:
Chippy_boy said:
OB1 said:
It wasn't quite a B team though: three quarters of the back four were mainstays of the title win, Fern is a starter, Dzeko is, well, Dzeko...; and, Yaya, Navas and Negredo all came on. Pelle mixed it up nicely and made it clear to everyone that he is taking the competition seriously and that his players should. Sadly, I could not travel up for the game but it did not sound like City had a bunch of players going out there with an "oh we're just the second string" attitude; instead, it was guys fired up to show that they want to be part of it. Long may that continue.

Agree with all of that, but the fact remains that at the weekend we started with:

Hart, Zabaleta, Kolarov, Nastasic, Kompany, Fernandinho, Yaya Toure, Navas Nasri, Aguero and Negredo.

(Presumably we felt that was the A team).

And then last night we started with:

Pantilimon, Richards, Clichy, Boyata, Lescott, Milner, Fernandinho, Garcia, Lopes, Dzeko and Jovetic

So it might not be the B team in the sense that it's a bunch of no-hopers, but barring Fernandino it's a completely different team. Yes I know we brought Yaya on in the match last night and yes Milner came on on Sunday etc.

But the point remains that we won 5-0 last night without fielding as strong a team as we possibly could and we also beat the rags 4-1 when only really going for it for 60 minutes at most.

It's quite a mouth watering prospect to think that our team last night, playing like they did, would imho have given any side in the league real problems.

I think as we go through the season instead of having 2 teams playing the exact same way the 2 teams will become interchangeable. I expect the weekend to be a mixture of the 2 teams with Silva and Rodwell still to come back.

We need to be able to rotate players successfully and not have to put out our absolute best XI, whatever that is, too often. Making all the squad feel involved can only help with motivation.

However one wishes to categorise last night's team, one cannot deny that things are starting to look exciting.

Jimfv1 said:
It was also an interesting bench, Hart, Aguero, Kompany and Nastasic all had the night off, which was good to see.

Good to see that, even though he had the night off, Sergio was at the game cheering on his teammates via twitter, posting photos and commenting on the game.

OB1 said:
We need to be able to rotate players successfully and not have to put out our absolute best XI, whatever that is, too often. Making all the squad feel involved can only help with motivation.

However one wishes to categorise last night's team, one cannot deny that things are starting to look exciting.

Bang on on both points OB ... much has been made in recent weeks in this thread and others about the mentality and attitude of our squad. After last season there were justifiable question marks over whether one or two of them could be motivated. What we saw last night was a 2nd string side playing with the attitude and intensity which the first XI started the derby with. In many respects it was as important as the derby result in terms of what it signifies. What it showed me more than anything was that the squad have seen enough of the manager to buy into what he's trying to do and to go out and implement it.

It may sound like a flippant statement but it's very important.

On a side note ... very disappointing to see one poster has gone underground pretty much since our CL win last week. I think if you start comparing Pellegrini to Hughes/Hodgson, when it begins to look like you might have spoken a little prematurely, you should have the balls to front up on the forum.

BillyShears said:
OB1 said:

Bang on on both points OB ... much has been made in recent weeks in this thread and others about the mentality and attitude of our squad. After last season there were justifiable question marks over whether one or two of them could be motivated. What we saw last night was a 2nd string side playing with the attitude and intensity which the first XI started the derby with. In many respects it was as important as the derby result in terms of what it signifies. What it showed me more than anything was that the squad have seen enough of the manager to buy into what he's trying to do and to go out and implement it.

On a side note ... very disappointing to see one poster has gone underground pretty much since our CL win last week. I think if you start comparing Pellegrini to Hughes/Hodgson, when it begins to look like you might have spoken a little prematurely, you should have the balls to front up on the forum.

I don't know if you've seen earlier, Billy, but I'm foaming at the mouth with excitement for exactly the same reasons.

Every single player is suddenly looking at the top of their game. We have a recognisable system/style.

It was hugely noticeable last night that every single player celebrated every single goal together. Even the 4th and 5th. You could see clearly they were delighted for each other.

Something very special is happening at this club.

Didsbury Dave said:
BillyShears said:
OB1 said:

I don't know if you've seen earlier, Billy, but I'm foaming at the mouth with excitement for exactly the same reasons.

Every single player is suddenly looking at the top of their game. We have a recognisable system/style.

It was hugely noticeable last night that every single player celebrated every single goal together. Even the 4th and 5th. You could see clearly they were delighted for each other.

Don't know about Billy but I saw it and was actually, indirectly, referencing back to it with my last comment.

I've said from the off that Pelle needs time and that we should not rush to judgment one way or another but it is hard to contain one's excitement after Sunday's performance because that really was some performance and it was no fluke. We now need to see that attitude and belief consistently and, also away from home.

OB1 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
BillyShears said:

Don't know about Billy but I saw it and was actually, indirectly, referencing back to it with my last comment.

I've said from the off that Pelle needs time and that we should not rush to judgment one way or another but it is hard to contain one's excitement after Sunday's performance because that really was some performance and it was no fluke. We now need to see that attitude and belief consistently and, also away from home.

Yeah, you hit on another point there too, OB1. There have been question marks about the inclusion of some players at times but you can see now that everyone is getting a crack at the whip. The League Cup helps in that respect too.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun but you really sense that the manager is saying to them all "You will get your chances this season" and they are responding. They can see that players like Dzeko, Nasri, Kolorov, who might not be considered natural first choices, have been given runs and done well. It's going to be interesting how he rotates over the next few weeks, and if he does, can he keep up the quality. Rodwell and Jovetic might well come into the frame soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.